Geo-Filter questions

AndyC

CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 4             PS4         XR500 Nighthawk Gaming Router                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                okay i have tried to read as much about this as i could and may have missed it somewhere if so i apologize.In my geofilter i have 2 different icons showing up. 1 looks like head and shoulders 2 looks like a square assuming it represents dedicated servers. My friends always show up as head and shoulders (H&S for future mentions) but they only appear if we are in a chat party on PS4. If we are in game chat i only see location of server.   I have been hearing about peer to peer connections and 90% of time the H&S icon appears when a game starts but it gets labaled as choopa or vultr or gameservers.com.   Every single match i get in no matter what icon shows up is in one of four or five locations and they match up with server farm location with thye name shown in auto-ping host section because ive researched choopa server location.   Every once in a while i will get a dedicated server in the same location.   My question is why if its a peer-peer host why is it showing up geographically where a server farm is.    if that is the case why is it so uncommon to get a dedicated server?  My geofilter is working because if its outside my circle its blockedand says lobby not joinable.  I keep it so i get the atlanta server farm Choopa cause its the closest. My ingame ping says usually 30 ping my router says 10-15 ping majority of time but every 10th lobby or so i will be in same location and be running 80-90 ping in game 70-80 in router. would somneone please help me understand what is going on here i have killed tha battery on my phone looking and researchin this and lag compensation topics and havent really got a good answer yet.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Head & shoulders = Person/peer
Square = Dedicated Server

That makes sense, when you're in party chat you're making a direct connection to that person. When you're in a game you're only making a direct connection to the server which is why that shows up. 

If a peer shows it's Domain Name as a server than it has been misclassified and we'll need to update that to appear correctly but it won't affect performance. It won't be a peer you're correct it's a server so misclassified on the map. 

If the ping increases that much every so often then it is either local congestion if you don't have QoS active or it's just a bad game, it can happen if the game server is under load for example. It could also be in the wrong location on the map, if you check the IP you can do a lookup online to confirm.

SO THERE ARE NO PEER TO PEER CONNECTIONS IN BLOP4?     WHY DOES SOME PEOPLE LIKE MY STEPSON WHEN HE GOES TO HIS DADS HOUSE 10 MILES AWAY FROM ME SHOW UP AS A H&S ON TOP OF A GAME SERVER AT LEAST A THOUSAND MILES AWAY FROM HERE? MY SON WHO LIVES IN THE SAME AREA AS STEPSONS DAD ALSO SHOW UP ON THHAT SAME SERVER.    MY FRIEND WHO LIVES IN LOUISIANA WAS SHOWING UP IN LOUISIANA FOR THE 1ST 6 MONTHS I PLAYED WITH HIM THEN HE HAD HIS ISP COME OUT TO HOUSE AND DO SOME WORK ON THE LINE NOW HE SHOW UP ON THAT SAME SERVER 500 MILES AWAY FROM HIM. HE HAS COX INTERNET AND MY BOYS HAVE ATT. I KNOW THAT WHERE THEY SHOW UP IS A SERVER FARM FOR CHOOPA.   OK NEXT IS WHEN THE H&S APPEARS WHEN I LOG INTO A GAME ITS BEING MISREAD BY THE ROUTER AND IS SUPPOSED TO BE DEDICATED SERVER? IF THAT THE CASE WHY DO SOME MATCHES SHOW UP AS ACTUAL DEDICATED SERVERS?  I CANT FIND MUCH INFO ON THIS BUT MY THEORY WAS THAT THE ONES SHOWING UP AS H&S WERE JUST RENTED SERVERS FROM THAT FARM THAT WAS ALSO DOING OTHER THINGS LIKE HOSTING BUSINESS'S OR WHATEVER AND DEDICATED SERVERS WERE ACTUAL SERVERS THAT ACTIVISION HAD RENTED SPECIFICALLY FOR CALL OF DUTY SERVICES ONLY. THE REASON U GET H&S IS BECAUSE THE DEDICATED ONES ARE FULL UP, DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE, OR JUST BUSY AT THE TIME SO IT JUMPS TOP FIRST AVAILABLE SERVER IN LINE.    JUST MY THEORY COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG JUST TRYING TO  MAKE SENSE OUT OF WHAT IM SEEING. THE LAST THING IS WHY DO SOME OF THE H&S HAVE CIRCLES AROUND THEM

The circles mean that somebody has been set to ALLOW, meaning they will pass any blocks. You can set these manually but sometimes they are in our permanent whitelist, which only covers authentication servers that are required for gameplay.

Your relatives may be appearing at the location of the server because the server obfuscates location information for privacy.