DHCP Server alternative

I have owned the XR500 for over a year now and despite the many bugs I still enjoy the gaming QoS features. However one thing that is driving me crazy is that it seems to need to be reset to default settings quite often. It is a regularly used suggestion in the forum for any problems. the follow up recommendation is then to NOT use a backup to restore settings but to set it up again from scratch. 

Sadly the biggest pain in the %#! for me is that I use quite a few DHCP reservations, every time I reset the router I need to go through all of these again. So my question is, is there something I can use as a standalone DHCP managing my reservations while preserving the XR500's features and traffic management?

If I add another router to deal with the DHCP and then run the XR500 in AP mode, would this solve it while retaining all the tasty traffic management and antibufferbloat etc?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by quadrophenic
Realised 'bridge mode' was the wrong term :(

We're actually looking at improving the backup features and having one integrated into DumaOS rather than just in the NETGEAR section. If you don't mind, could you post your ideas into this thread? 

As for your question, I believe that disabling the DHCP pool on the XR500 will cause many of its features not to work. For example, if you had a downstream device with its own DHCP pool, everything connected to that device would appear as only one device in the XR500. This would impact all but the most basic of QoS features. The Geo-Filter would also cease to function correctly.

If you had DHCP being handled by an upstream device, and your gaming device connected to the XR500, then you might be able to use Geo-Filter, but not QoS.

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. That is a real shame. I love the gaming features of the XR500 but it is a little flaky when it comes to general network management. Was hoping a basic modem/router combo connected to the WAN of XR500 to replace my current modem would solve it but it sounds like I would lose more than I stand to gain. 

Bear in mind I haven't actually tested a network layout like that, i'm just going on what I think I know based on how DumaOS handles devices from other DHCP pools. It's all designed around the assumption that the XR500 is issuing the IPs for the devices it's controlling.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up for anyone interested. I set up another router on my network behind the XR500. The second router is connected to the network via it's LAN port. Connecting through the WAN caused issues. So my setup now is modem > XR500(WAN), XR500(LAN) > ASUS(LAN). 

Disabled the DHCP on the XR500 and set it up on the 2nd router. Everything SEEMS to be working well at the moment. Geofilter still detects any console and appears to be working fine. QoS is harder to figure out but it looks like its working fine.

The only issue I have found is that the XR500 can no longer resolve NEW device names. If the device was discovered by the XR500 then it retains its details. However all new devices are added as 'Unnamed Device'. 

Looks pretty good so far, so now if I have to reset my XR500 my IP reservations will not be lost :)

DHCP from something like Pie-hole works great, and XR500 QOS etc works fine. The XR500 resolves the names correctly etc as long as point DNS to the pi-hole. I have three pi-hole servers running. One of the greatest free tools out there. Next to wire-shark 😉

1. The main that runs DHCP and all the pie-hole filters etc (runs on a $35 raspberrypi)

2. The second just does DNS filtering etc. runs on vmware ESXI (free version on older I7 16gig bog)

3. Setup like #1, but DHCP off. (Basically a backup) runs on VMware esxi as well

All three pie holes are listed as my DNS servers in XR500 192.168.2.2 - 4.

Works really well, and you get some great DHCP options. More than you will ever get from net-gear.  Nice stats too, helps watch who is to chatty. I am still with you though on limited DHCP.

Capture.JPG