XR500 WiFi disconnect issues

Sorry, I didn't get a notification about your reply. I got IP passthrough to send the public IP to the router but still didn't help. The cascaded router thing is only if you're an AT&T customer with a static allotment of IPs from them, not for this purpose.

• Administrators
On 8/27/2019 at 1:36 AM, Axelrod360 said:

OMG! It is the modem. After reflashing and resetting my router many times, I found that if the router starts and lets devices connect before I plug it into the modem, the internet works for all the devices that connected before I made the connection. If I turn the router on while it's already connected to the modem, that's when I get random devices failing to connect. How can this be? It's a modem and the devices shouldn't care what's beyond the router. I found this problem happening in both versions .40 and .56. I'll contact AT&T and see if they can give me any advice or replace the modem.

Does it still work in this scenario? We'll continue to investigate but I can't think of anything else to possibly suggest at the moment.

Yes but as soon as I connect the router to the modem, devices start having problems connecting if they weren't connected before I plugged the router into the modem. So devices connecting to the router while it's not connected to the modem can get a valid IP from the DHCP but it stops giving consistently good IPs after I plug the router into the modem.

• Administrators

Disabling DHCP and setting Static IPs isn't viable/doesn't work either correct? Do you have a spare router by any chance that you could use in AP mode behind the XR500 and connect devices to those and see if that stops the issues? That way you could still use the XR500 features and have no disconnects.

A big reason why I wanted to use the XR500 was because of the better wireless capabilities. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it is going to work and I've decided to return the XR500. Thanks for trying to help figure out what was going wrong. I appreciate it.

My final setup for anyone watching this is to use the AT&T gateway as the main router and DHCP server but with the WiFi turned off. I have my R7000 plugged into it in AP mode and am using that as my wireless signal.

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, mike11339 said:

Hello,

Is there any update on this issue?

I couldn't get either Netgear router to work great with either AT&T gateway. I had decent luck with putting the router in AP mode but still had some problems. I ended up getting the ASUS GT-AX11000 and it works great even in router mode. Unfortunately it might be something with Netgear's underlying tools even though the XR500 runs DumaOS on top. As much as I like Netgear, I'd recommend trying a different manufacturer.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Axelrod360 said:

I couldn't get either Netgear router to work great with either AT&T gateway. I had decent luck with putting the router in AP mode but still had some problems. I ended up getting the ASUS GT-AX11000 and it works great even in router mode. Unfortunately it might be something with Netgear's underlying tools even though the XR500 runs DumaOS on top. As much as I like Netgear, I'd recommend trying a different manufacturer.

Was the issue with WiFi disconnects or actually receiving internet through the router when connected to the gateway? If so were there any settings changed in the Internet Setup part of the GT?

41 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Was the issue with WiFi disconnects or actually receiving internet through the router when connected to the gateway? If so were there any settings changed in the Internet Setup part of the GT?

When I had the Netgear routers in AP mode, seemed to be a problem of not getting internet sometimes. It would be things like watching a movie and ending up needing to wait for a buffer at times or websites would not load sometimes.

No, I didn't do anything different with the ASUS router in the setup when using it in router mode. In fact, I can play around with the settings in the ASUS router quite a bit without messing up anything. As far as the gateway, it's setup exactly the same as it was with the Netgear routers.