Comcast/Asus/Netduma Installation

PharmDawgg

Haven't received my router because I just ordered it yesterday.  I am very excited to try it out. My plan is to have a dual router setup( i.e. LAN to WAN).  I want to set the Asus as the primary router and the Netduma as the secondary router to have like a network within a network in place.  I want to have only my gaming consoles connected to the Netduma router and everything else connected to the Asus RT-AC68U. I only have an Xbox One and a WII U.  My comcast combo modem/router is already in bridge mode  so I should not have any issues with it.  I am going to hardwire the Xbox One to the Netduma router but the WII U will be wirelessly connected.  I post this only because maybe someone may have a similar setup and some suggestions.  I trying to brainstorm my setup be the router arrives.  

• Netduma Staff

The Netduma works most optimally with all devices running through it :)

What about having it the other way round as the Netduma being the primary router and the Asus as the secondary? That way you are receiving all the benefits of owning a Netduma router and you will be able to use all of the features!

Haven't received my router because I just ordered it yesterday.  I am very excited to try it out. My plan is to have a dual router setup( i.e. LAN to WAN).  I want to set the Asus as the primary router and the Netduma as the secondary router to have like a network within a network in place.  I want to have only my gaming consoles connected to the Netduma router and everything else connected to the Asus RT-AC68U. I only have an Xbox One and a WII U.  My comcast combo modem/router is already in bridge mode  so I should not have any issues with it.  I am going to hardwire the Xbox One to the Netduma router but the WII U will be wirelessly connected.  I post this only because maybe someone may have a similar setup and some suggestions.  I trying to brainstorm my setup be the router arrives.  

I am going to have a similiar set up but with the RT-AC66r I'll use my me Asus wirelessly. From another thread

Yup, need to disable dhcp, disable wireless. Iain will correct me if I'm wrong here but I think the Duma knows when another router is upstream.

Just so you are aware congestion control won't do anything but limit what is connected to the Duma in that setup

Yes abc is correct. The downside of your set-up is the congestion control may not be optimum. If you have any other issues please let me know.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/40-how-to-setup-with-existing-router/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2719

Well I hooked up my netduma, to my Asus AC87R yesterday, and I can post exactly how I set it all up. But that will have to wait till tomorrow, as I don't feel like typing it all out right now. I can tell you, today I did play some AW, and had open NAT the whole day. Like other's have said you are best using the R1 as the primary router, but I fully understand if you can't. I just turned QoS on, on my Asus, and put the netduma as the highest priority. So even the stuff connected to the asus, before the netduma is involved. It will not have hardly, if at all any affect on my gaming traffic, and the features the R1 provide.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for purchasing buck! I suggest you follow Scott's(lol stones) instructions as he has the same setup as you. But let me know if you need further instructions.

Happy new year!

Okay will I guess it's time to explain how I setup my netduma, connecting to my Asus AC87R. So we're going to start with setting up the netduma first setting's wise. I want you to direct connect to the R1 with whatever(pc/laptop/tablet) you plan to set it up with. If you want, you can already have the netduma plugged into one of the LAN port's of your Asus router. The default LAN ip of the netduma should be 192.168.88.1, so that will need to be used to access the gui of the netduma.

Now let's get to what need's to be set on the netduma, regarding getting it to work properly. So there is three thing's inside the R1's gui we need to do.

1. First thing is go to Settings<->DHCP, Once there, you will see LAN at the top. Under it will be host address, just make sure whatever the host address is. It isn't same as the asus lan ip, which Asus router's most the time are defaulted to 192.168.1.1. So the 192.168.88.1 default R1 lan ip is fine to use, but you can change it to whatever you want. Just not the same as the asus. As that would cause a conflict.

2. While still under the Settings<->DHCP section, Make sure DHCP is enabled, and have a ip range set for devices that will connect directly to the R1.

3. Now go to Settings<->WAN, Now on this page, if you scroll down. You will see Wan Mac Address, make sure this is enabled, and copy down the mac address listed. It will be needed on the Asus to give the R1 a static ip.

Okay now it is time to access the Asus gui, and finish setting up thing's, so they all work properly.

1. Okay first thing we are going to do is, give the R1 a static ip. So that mac address above I told you to write down, we are gonna use it to give the R1 it's static ip. If you know how to give a static ip already, then go ahead, and do so with that mac address. If not, because I own a asus router myself. I need you to open the Asus gui, and click LAN under advanced setting's. Then click the DHCP Server tab, and scroll down to the bottom. There will be a section to manually assign ip by mac address. So go ahead, and assign whatever ip address you want to give the R1, with that mac address I said copy down. After adding the rule, make sure to click the apply button at the bottom :)

2. Now it's time to DMZ the R1, by taking that ip address you just gave the R1, and putting it into DMZ. If you know how to do this already, then go do it :) However if you don't know, click on WAN under advanced settings. Go over, and click on the DMZ tab. Enable dmz, and put the ip address you assigned the R1 into the "IP Address of the Exposed Station" box. Remember to click the apply button after done :)

3. You are now done with what need's to be done, to have everything properly working. There is one thing I might suggest, to optimize thing's to the fullest though. That would be, enabling QoS on the Asus router, and giving the R1 highest priority, with the IP Address you assigned it.

Anyway's I hope the above info, can help you, and maybe other's in the future. If you need any further help, we are all here to help :)

Archived