Verifying HybridVPN is working...

Hi,

I have my XR700's HybridVPN set up with NordVPN provider and configured for my Synology NAS.  Only Synology's Download Station ports are configured to go through VPN.

How do I verify if traffic for those ports is indeed forwarded through HybridVPN and not regular, unsecured Internet traffic?

• Administrators

Does the Synology have a web interface you can access and a network monitor that you can check at all? Otherwise the only other way I can think of is a bit of a hassle - use a hub and connect the NAS and PC to it and the router then run PingPlotter to monitor the traffic on the NAS (may need to find a tutorial on this).

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does the Synology have a web interface you can access and a network monitor that you can check at all? Otherwise the only other way I can think of is a bit of a hassle - use a hub and connect the NAS and PC to it and the router then run PingPlotter to monitor the traffic on the NAS (may need to find a tutorial on this).

Yes, the synolgy NAS has it's own OS known as disk station. He should be able to find out in there. There's an extensive app store so there should be something there to help him out and their online forum is also very helpful

My understanding is that VPN configured on HybridVPN is transparent to Synology and traffic is handled entirely by the router?

NAS is unaware of being on VPN and DumaOS intercepts device's traffic, identifies rules for VPN ports and when encounters specific traffic, tunnels it through VPN.

Is this correct?

If so, shouldn't I be able to track and identify VPN traffic on the router and not Synology itself?

I was hoping some router logs could tell me "Traffic from Synology on port X going through HybridVPN"  :)

• Administrators

What you should see on the NAS side is traffic coming from the VPN server that you have put it under so that will verify if it's working correctly. There isn't anything on the router interface at the moment that you could check to verify this unfortunately, I suppose an easy way to check it would be to enable block internet traffic when internet is disconnected, have a download going on the NAS and then disable the VPN. If the download continues then the VPN wasn't applying to the correct ports, if it stops then it is working correctly.