Question about Firewall

I just received my Netduma router last night. I haven't had much time to mess around with it yet as the PlayStation Network was down nearly all day yesterday. I'm by no means a tech guru so I apologize in advance for the noob questions. These questions may have already been addressed within this forum but I was hoping for some clarification. My questions are in regards to firewall protection within the Netduma and here are my noob questions... Is there firewall protection in the Netduma? My internet connection was going from my modem to my Asus router which I simply replaced with the Netduma. I was unable to find any information on port forwarding for the Netduma on portforward.com nor was I able to find any internal way to place a device into DMZ on the Netduma. Despite what certainly would've resulted in my NAT type being labeled as "moderate" or heaven forbid "strict" (with my previous routers) my NAT remained "open"

So right now I'm a little confused as to why that is and wondering if I should be concerned for the security of other devices on my local network (outside of my gaming consoles of course). Perhaps I was suppose to run the Netduma through my Asus router and connect only my gaming consoles to the Netduma? If that's the case then the forum post I read earlier about DMZ makes a little more sense. I would think I could then just place the Netduma in DMZ through my Asus router settings? However if that is unnecessary and won't effect the quality/security of my connection then I would like to return the Asus for a refund while I still can. If anyone could clear this up for me I'd really appreciate it.

Tom

I will answer hopefully some of your questions. I would based on the information you have me do modem>netduma>asus(as access point). This will allow you to use all the functions of the R1 especially when it comes to congestion control.

The is no DMZ option in the R1. You can place the R1 in the DMZ of another router but not vice versa.

I believe there is prebuilt security settings but I believe the administrators can speak more on this question.

• Administrators

Hey Tom, welcome to the forum! Yes there is a firewall built into the R1. You can put your ISP into modem mode with the R1 connected and this should result in an open NAT, otherwise you can put the R1 into the DMZ of your ISP hub and this will result in an open NAT as well. If you want the Asus for wifi or anything like that I would suggest the setup Buck stated :)

Archived