Something's wrong (XR500)

Hey there

First of all, I would like to say that I don't think the router is the cause of my problems, as a matter of fact, I purchased this router to replace my ISP's modem/router hoping It would fix the issues I'm having but as you can tell, It unfortunately didn't work.

I mainly play SSBU currently, a game which has a very awful online and I'd say 80% of the time whenever I try to play games I just end up rage quitting now. The speed tests on my Nintendo Switch are always fine, NAT is A, download and upload speed are both over 60mb/s which is way more than needed.

What usually happens is that I am sometimes simply not able to hit anyone and I just get hit by absolutely everything, things that on my screen don't even appear to be touching my character. It's almost as if my opponents are not seeing what I'm seeing on my screen and they are still able to hit me somewhere I used to be frames ago.

I don't really know how to explain it better than that, I should of asked for help a long time ago as I've been trying to figure out a solution for well over 2 months but I never did because I know how It sounds, but I am really 100% confident that there's something wrong and that I'm not simply denying the fact that I can lose games, I don't think that highly of myself, trust me.

Sometimes I turn a few settings on or off, reset and It fixes the problem temporarily, which allows me to get a few good games in. For example, yesterday I lost over 10 games in a row where I was completely shut down by over 10 different people then I changed some settings around, released/renewed and then rebooted the router and all of a sudden I started winning games and I wasn't getting hit by everything.

Like the fool that I am, I discovered last month that I had 14 malwares and the game got much better for a little while once I got rid of them but right now It's back like It used to be, I run scans daily now and I'm supposedly free of them. I reinstalled Windows completely to make sure there wasn't anything malicious left on my computer, but that didn't do anything.

I've upgraded all my ethernet cables to better ones, again no difference.

A few things I noticed on DumaOS is that I get a lot of DOS attacks in my logs, I've done my research and I know you guys make it sound like It's not a big deal, but It can't be a coincidence that every single time I've been able to get good games I wasn't under these attacks.

Another strange thing is that sometimes I can stay connected on DumaOS for several hours in a row but other times I'll get disconnected off of it within 10 minutes and have to enter my username/password again. Is that normal?

I also get hundreds of "attempting to bind pending" reports a day, which also doesn't seem normal as well as "[DumaOS] NSS delete root for interface 'brwan'" and "[DumaOS] HTTP download failed with code '404'" which both appears pretty often.

I've installed this network monitor named PRTG recently which gives me this warning "Warning by lookup value 'No' in channel 'Root Authority Trusted' — Warning by lookup value 'Unable to check revocation status' in channel 'Revoked' — Warning by lookup value 'Weak (1024)' in channel 'Public Key Length' (OK. Certificate Common Name: www.routerlogin.net - Certificate Thumbprint: 2BA2263F5E389AECC18B25ABDFF97549F1D44FAA)", but I have no certificate under that thumbprint, It's nowhere to be found.

There's also "Warning by lookup value 'Weak Protocols Available' in channel 'Security Rating' — Warning by lookup value 'Accepted' in channel 'TLS 1.0 (Weak)'"

Both of these are apparently issues on port 443 of the gateway, not sure how important this is but I haven't been able to fix these even after several hours trying my hardest to.

I'm thinking It's either a ISP problem(I'm with Telus, QC) or maybe there's still something malicious on my computer that I can't detect? It really looks like to me that my network is constantly under attacks, there's always weird stuff going on in the logs whenever things don't work in the game.

I tried so many things I probably forgot to include important details, but if you've got questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll also edit this if I remember certain things. One last thing I guess I should mention, I used to live in Montreal and I played Splatoon 2 there for a while on wi-fi and had a much better experience than now in the much smaller town that I live in, with much better speed now and a wired connection.

I hope you guys will be able to help me, I am honestly so sick and tired of whatever's going on, I just wanna be able to play the game normally. ☹️

Thanks!

Guest Killhippie

Have you looked at something like thinkbroadbands network monitor?  This may be simpler to understand and more appropriate regarding packet loss latency etc, I've not used PRTG personally. It sounds like you have lag/latency issues and that may simply be because you have a bad line possibly. You need a network monitor but one you can understand better maybe? Lots of people set their routers to respond to accept pings on the internet and set up a thinkbroadband quality meter,  ill leave the link at the end of the post it shows latency packet loss etc and is a visual representation of your line as is simple to understand.  You also may have a fault on your line possibly, something you could ask your provider about maybe, and if your provider Telus is running the network hot (using it to the limit without further increase in backhaul) you will get slowdowns especially in the evening, . It could also be your MTU, but the router should set that up pretty well. What is your connection type,  is it PPPoE for instance? What modem do you use. This information would be really helpful.

As to that PRTG warning thats to do with SSL certificates, not I think the direction you need to be going in. You need to test your line with a wired speed tester like DSL reports or thinkbroadbands one, both show bufferbloat too. So see what the test results are like and post them and do not use your gaming device for speed tests. Also with so much malware found I would be concerned as to the fact you may have more, some could be hidden rootkits or even cryptocurrency miners using your bandwidth up.  What OS are you running and have you got a clean backup of your system you could install because depending on what malware was found (could you tell us what it all was or some of it at least) sometimes a wipe of the drive and a full install of your OS is needed to be sure your system is clean.  Also be aware that there are malware variants that hide in ram etc so you need to be more careful online.

It would be great to know what your AV found, and what AV and firewall are you using too? Try downloading malwarebytes  and running that and see what it comes up with. Finally here is the link to the network monitor. and the link after is to malwarebytes, don't worry about it being a 14 day trial, after it turns into a stand alone app you can run as you need. So the first link is to the broadband monitor, the second is to malwarebytes. If you can provide a speed test from DSL Reports  http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest that would useful so we can see your bufferbloat scores. Also what is the setup on your XR500, what have your turned off and on? Without knowing that its hard to tell whats happening. Going though the optimal settings would help. http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Hey there Killhippie, really appreciating the help!

First thing first, I've tried to set up thinkbroadband but It's not letting me create a monitor because I don't have a UK postcode, are you sure this is available outside of the UK?

I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Home and I have a Fiber connection (https://www.telus.com/en/internet/fibre-optique, I am currently using the 250/250 plan on there but I've contacted them about 3 days ago to be upgraded to their highest speed as I download way too much when I'm not playing and the upgrade is scheduled to be done this very morning. I'll still post results now and I'll update later today if needed; http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/49223881

As for the malwares, they've been quarantined about a month ago and since that time I've reinstalled windows so I unfortunately cannot tell you what they were. One thing I didn't do is wipe the drive entirely though, I used the option to keep my personal files. (mostly photos and videos)

I wouldn't be surprised if I had more malwares hidden somewhere as I've been very careless in the last few years using my computer, I thought Windows Defender had things under control and never bothered downloading another AV, these malwares that I had could have been there for years for all I know. I also average about 2k-3kTB of download/upload per month so the likeliness that I have more that went undetected could be high I think. I've been taking a lot more care of my computer ever since I found out about the malwares, lesson learned.

As for what AV I am using, I am already using malwarebytes.

For the settings;

Geo-Filter: I don't use it for my console, It works but the fact that the games are less laggy is actually not such a great thing, I am still not able to do anything in the game and I just get destroyed even harder.

QoS: On and off, currently off. Sometimes It's on and I'll get a few decent games by simply turning it off but It doesn't always work and It's always temporary, maybe even coincidental

I've set my DNS addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, those seem to be the most reliable, I ran DNSBench and tried the best DNS addresses in my region and Google's DNS still appear to be the one that's the more stable, despite having a lower download/upload speed on my console.

WAN Setup is default currently, except for Respond to Ping on Internet Port which I just activated trying to setup thinkbroadband.

LAN Setup is default as well, with the only exception that I added my console's IP address to the reservation list

I've disabled all the readyshare stuff/media server

No VPN set up, IPv6 off, no Dynamic DNS, no port forwarding/triggering

I will do another clean install of Windows this morning, wiping the entire drive this time, again, I really wouldn't be surprised if I had malicious stuff hiding somewhere.

Thank you 😀

Guest Killhippie
58 minutes ago, Spritenq said:

Hey there Killhippie, really appreciating the help!

First thing first, I've tried to set up thinkbroadband but It's not letting me create a monitor because I don't have a UK postcode, are you sure this is available outside of the UK?

I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Home and I have a Fiber connection (https://www.telus.com/en/internet/fibre-optique, I am currently using the 250/250 plan on there but I've contacted them about 3 days ago to be upgraded to their highest speed as I download way too much when I'm not playing and the upgrade is scheduled to be done this very morning. I'll still post results now and I'll update later today if needed; http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/49223881

As for the malwares, they've been quarantined about a month ago and since that time I've reinstalled windows so I unfortunately cannot tell you what they were. One thing I didn't do is wipe the drive entirely though, I used the option to keep my personal files. (mostly photos and videos)

I wouldn't be surprised if I had more malwares hidden somewhere as I've been very careless in the last few years using my computer, I thought Windows Defender had things under control and never bothered downloading another AV, these malwares that I had could have been there for years for all I know. I also average about 2k-3kTB of download/upload per month so the likeliness that I have more that went undetected could be high I think. I've been taking a lot more care of my computer ever since I found out about the malwares, lesson learned.

As for what AV I am using, I am already using malwarebytes.

For the settings;

Geo-Filter: I don't use it for my console, It works but the fact that the games are less laggy is actually not such a great thing, I am still not able to do anything in the game and I just get destroyed even harder.

QoS: On and off, currently off. Sometimes It's on and I'll get a few decent games by simply turning it off but It doesn't always work and It's always temporary, maybe even coincidental

I've set my DNS addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, those seem to be the most reliable, I ran DNSBench and tried the best DNS addresses in my region and Google's DNS still appear to be the one that's the more stable, despite having a lower download/upload speed on my console.

WAN Setup is default currently, except for Respond to Ping on Internet Port which I just activated trying to setup thinkbroadband.

LAN Setup is default as well, with the only exception that I added my console's IP address to the reservation list

I've disabled all the readyshare stuff/media server

No VPN set up, IPv6 off, no Dynamic DNS, no port forwarding/triggering

I will do another clean install of Windows this morning, wiping the entire drive this time, again, I really wouldn't be surprised if I had malicious stuff hiding somewhere.

Thank you 😀

It may well be that thinkbroadand is not available in the states so osorry about that. I would suggest you google something similar. Do you have a full time AV apart from Malwarebytes and a firewall? Or are you just using Microsofts firewall (which is fine). Malwarebytes is great but I would suggest that you have a always on AV running alongside Malwarebytes to stop future infections. I would ditch the PRTG app and concentrate on setting up the router as suggested with antibufferbloat on 70% set it to always on, or when high priority traffic is detected depending on your needs and set QoS up and leave it as it is for now, add your console to the Geofilter as in the optimal settings guide, that should help. Since you cant use thinkbroadands quality meter turn off respond to pings. In fact I would suggest resetting the router by holding a paper clip in reset hole at the hole at the back, for 7-20 seconds, let it reboot and wait a couple of minutes then set it up from scratch, after so many changes being made it would help to start with default settings Also you are on the latest firmware 2.3.2.40?. As I said you want to reduce lag to improve your gaming experience and using the Geo filter as well as using Ping assist should help along with QoS.  :) http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Spritenq said:

A few things I noticed on DumaOS is that I get a lot of DOS attacks in my logs, I've done my research and I know you guys make it sound like It's not a big deal, but It can't be a coincidence that every single time I've been able to get good games I wasn't under these attacks.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you were able to make some progress with reducing your latency. Is there a way you can see the FPS in your game? That might have helped you to diagnose your issues with malware beofr.

Usually you can ignore DOS attacks - these are usually just requests from servers. They're not actually DDoS attacks. There's a whole bunch of threads on NETGEAR's forums explaining this in more detail.

I think it's more likely that you have an issue with your line. I'd recommend doing a PingPlotter to test to see if there are spikes. Could you follow this guide please and we will then take a look at your results to see if there are any obvious issues: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

Another strange thing is that sometimes I can stay connected on DumaOS for several hours in a row but other times I'll get disconnected off of it within 10 minutes and have to enter my username/password again. Is that normal?

I think this depends on how active you are on the GUI. It's actually a NETGEAR setting (auto-logout), and I'm not entirely sure on the criteria. Either way, nothing to be worried about.

I also get hundreds of "attempting to bind pending" reports a day, which also doesn't seem normal as well as "[DumaOS] NSS delete root for interface 'brwan'" and "[DumaOS] HTTP download failed with code '404'" which both appears pretty ofte

I checked this with a developer and they said you can ignore this - both normal logs that are just displayed to help our developers

Let us know how you get on with the PingPlotter test

4 hours ago, Killhippie said:

It may well be that thinkbroadand is not available in the states so osorry about that. I would suggest you google something similar. Do you have a full time AV apart from Malwarebytes and a firewall? Or are you just using Microsofts firewall (which is fine). Malwarebytes is great but I would suggest that you have a always on AV running alongside Malwarebytes to stop future infections. I would ditch the PRTG app and concentrate on setting up the router as suggested with antibufferbloat on 70% set it to always on, or when high priority traffic is detected depending on your needs and set QoS up and leave it as it is for now, add your console to the Geofilter as in the optimal settings guide, that should help. Since you cant use thinkbroadands quality meter turn off respond to pings. In fact I would suggest resetting the router by holding a paper clip in reset hole at the hole at the back, for 7-20 seconds, let it reboot and wait a couple of minutes then set it up from scratch, after so many changes being made it would help to start with default settings Also you are on the latest firmware 2.3.2.40?. As I said you want to reduce lag to improve your gaming experience and using the Geo filter as well as using Ping assist should help along with QoS.  :) http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter 

Hey! I use Emsisoft as well, I downloaded it to see if It would detected anything Malwarebytes couldn't and I still haven't uninstalled it. I'm only using Microsofts firewall, should I get something else?

As for the QoS/Geofilter, I've experimented with everything, including the optimal settings multiple times in the month and a half I've been owning it. Nintendo isn't exactly the best when It comes to online gaming and SSBU uses P2P, meaning that if my opponent is lagging from a bad internet connection I'll get the same lag.

But that's not exactly it here, I am not lagging from a poor internet connection, as long as my opponent has a decent internet connection the game itself feels fine and my character responds well enough to my inputs. It really just feels like me and my opponents are not seeing the same thing on our monitors, I am just completely unable to do anything because as soon as I try to do something; I miss all my attacks, for example if I'm playing a character who has a sword, I'll see the sword go though the entire character on my screen but It will not register, and whenever I try to go in I get shut down instantly and often just get comboed to death because I am not able to escape anything.

I was on a losing streak all night and before I had to leave this morning, I turned on DMZ to try it again and ever since I did that, I won something like 7 games and only loss 2 playing the exact same character. I left respond to pings on for those games as I hadn't seen your message, do you think I should leave it on now knowing that the game uses P2P?

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Welcome to the forum! Glad you were able to make some progress with reducing your latency. Is there a way you can see the FPS in your game? That might have helped you to diagnose your issues with malware beofr.

Usually you can ignore DOS attacks - these are usually just requests from servers. They're not actually DDoS attacks. There's a whole bunch of threads on NETGEAR's forums explaining this in more detail.

I think it's more likely that you have an issue with your line. I'd recommend doing a PingPlotter to test to see if there are spikes. Could you follow this guide please and we will then take a look at your results to see if there are any obvious issues: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

I think this depends on how active you are on the GUI. It's actually a NETGEAR setting (auto-logout), and I'm not entirely sure on the criteria. Either way, nothing to be worried about.

I checked this with a developer and they said you can ignore this - both normal logs that are just displayed to help our developers

Let us know how you get on with the PingPlotter test

Hello there! Thanks for the welcome, happy to be here.

PingPlotter is actually how I figured I had malwares because there were indeed spikes at the time, now I only have access to the trial version and can only scan one address unfortunately but everything seems to be fine. As I told Killhippie, I was able to get the game working by turning DMZ on this morning and It still works as of right now. I know It's not recommended to use DMZ on a computer as It makes you vulnerable but would you advise against doing it on a Nintendo Switch? Is there any danger?

I would like to try port triggering but Nintendo says on their website that SSBU needs all the ports to be open(1-65535) and whenever I try adding the console to the PT list It tells me that some of the ports are already being used even though I've disabled everything using ports in the options. I haven't been able to find a way to get around that.

Big thanks to you two!

• Administrators

The situation you described is exactly why you would benefit from using the Geo-Filter, if it's P2P you could limit the max ping you get to ensure a good game or get people closer to your location that should then in theory get you people with a better connection. Anyone that has a bad connection you can add to your deny list so you don't play with them again.

Glad you manage to fix it, yes leave respond to pings on. Should be absolutely fine to DMZ the Switch, we often recommend it for consoles.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:32 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

The situation you described is exactly why you would benefit from using the Geo-Filter, if it's P2P you could limit the max ping you get to ensure a good game or get people closer to your location that should then in theory get you people with a better connection. Anyone that has a bad connection you can add to your deny list so you don't play with them again.

Glad you manage to fix it, yes leave respond to pings on. Should be absolutely fine to DMZ the Switch, we often recommend it for consoles.

Hey there, I gave it a couple days to see if the fix was permanent and unfortunately It was not.

Yesterday was absolutely awful the entire day and out of disgust I couldn't push myself to play more than an hour.

When I woke up today I noticed my console was getting 19mbps up/around 5 mbps down instead of the usual 60-70 up/20 down It usually get. I know download and upload speed don't matter much, especially on a Nintendo console but I was confused as to why I would instantly be getting less and I was wondering if this could be part of a bigger problem.

Well, I discovered this very hour that by switching "Use Default Address" to "Use Computer MAC Address" that I would go back to getting my usual speed. I did a few games and everything started worked flawlessly as It did a couple days ago, games were fun and more fair, until when searching for a game I got an error code stating that I couldn't connect to the other console, right after that I started being useless and I just now, miserably got destroyed 5 games in a row, in the last game my opponent wasn't even trying, he just stood still the entire game waiting for me to do something. I think I hit the guy 3 or 4 times in a match that lasted over 3 minutes, without exaggeration.

I'm not going to pretend I'm some sort of professional at the game but I've logged almost 900 hours into It since It came out and even though the ranking system in this game is pretty much meaningless, I've got 8 characters in the so called "elite mode", meaning that I've at least got some understanding of how the game works and games like this where I am getting absolutely destroyed shouldn't be happening THAT often. It makes no sense, and funnily enough, It never happens whenever I play offline games with other people.

I think It's unfortunately time for me to come to the conclusion that this is a problem with my ISP and there's nothing that I'll ever be able to do about it, It's not normal that I still haven't found a way to make this game work correctly online after 6 months of owning it. It's not normal either that I even have to search for solutions to fix it either, and that one's on Nintendo with their awful netcode that can't compete with some games that are over 10 years old now.

I'm out of ideas, I'm now absolutely disgusted at the game, I just get frustrated when playing the game but I haven't been able as of now to give up on it given that I've been playing Smash since the N64 and It holds a special place in my heart, as cheesy as this sounds, but It's really starting to impact my mental health. I just want it to work so bad and to be a good game.

If any of you have got anything left for me to try, I'd appreciate the help as always, if not, I guess It's time to call it quit and hope that Nintendo eventually gets their s**t together and fix their online service, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Thanks as always.

• Administrators

Sorry to hear that, all I could suggest is that you try and see if there are any similarities between the times when the issue happens such as time of day etc. It may be worth doing a PingPlotter test over various days/times and seeing if there are any bad results that you can then take to your ISP and see if they can resolve it.

52 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear that, all I could suggest is that you try and see if there are any similarities between the times when the issue happens such as time of day etc. It may be worth doing a PingPlotter test over various days/times and seeing if there are any bad results that you can then take to your ISP and see if they can resolve it.

I've tried something that I had never really tried before because I thought the QoS took care of that, but I went ahead and forwarded the following TCP ports 6667, 12400, 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920 and 45000 to 65534 UDP ports.

Nintendo recommends forwarding 1 to 65535 for the UDP ports but even though I've disabled everything in the DumaOS options that takes ports It keeps telling me that I need to disable some things because some ports are currently being used.

Ever since I've forwarded the ports that I mentioned above the games have been stable, I don't know if It's gonna be permanent, It could only be a coincidence but I'll give it some time. In the meantime, I'd still like to find a way to port all the UDP ports, could you confirm whether this is possible or not?

Thanks as always.

• Administrators

QoS and port forwarding are completely separate features. QoS just ensures you won't get any local congestion. The easiest way to do this is just put the Nintendo in the DMZ that will pass all the ports needed directly to it. Are you doing the ports in Traffic Prioritization or actually in port forwarding?

30 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

QoS and port forwarding are completely separate features. QoS just ensures you won't get any local congestion. The easiest way to do this is just put the Nintendo in the DMZ that will pass all the ports needed directly to it. Are you doing the ports in Traffic Prioritization or actually in port forwarding?

The Nintendo is in the DMZ as well as in the Traffic Prioritization, and on top of that I've now port forwarded the ports I mentioned above, which seems to have fixed it somehow, but again It could be coincidental. I have actually no idea what causes the issue, It seems to randomly go away whenever I switch some settings around but It always eventually comes back.

I'm guessing that It is coincidental if the DMZ is supposed to do the same thing as port forwarding. Also I wanted to ask, should I worry about all the "[LAN access from remote]" I get in my logs when the Nintendo is in the DMZ?

• Administrators

You can it out of Traffic Prio as DumaOS Classified Games will cover it. Yeah wouldn't recommend using DMZ and port forwarding, likely coincidence as should have no issues with ports especially if NAT type is open. What IP does it give? Do an IP look up and see what it is, if its a server then nothing to worry about.

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can it out of Traffic Prio as DumaOS Classified Games will cover it. Yeah wouldn't recommend using DMZ and port forwarding, likely coincidence as should have no issues with ports especially if NAT type is open. What IP does it give? Do an IP look up and see what it is, if its a server then nothing to worry about.

Too many to list really, here's a few examples; 

[LAN access from remote] from 172.104.109.88:54498 to 192.168.1.22:8181, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:21:14
[LAN access from remote] from 24.41.152.10:14797 to 192.168.1.22:23, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:21:03
[LAN access from remote] from 77.247.109.129:8511 to 192.168.1.22:5060, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:20:12
[LAN access from remote] from 37.191.196.1:45488 to 192.168.1.22:22, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:20:04
[LAN access from remote] from 81.22.45.192:55164 to 192.168.1.22:4364, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:19:45
[LAN access from remote] from 198.108.67.106:30956 to 192.168.1.22:9039, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:17:39
[LAN access from remote] from 185.176.27.54:53056 to 192.168.1.22:1695, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:17:02
[LAN access from remote] from 14.225.3.37:24681 to 192.168.1.22:23, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:16:55
[LAN access from remote] from 185.56.80.48:40329 to 192.168.1.22:8089, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:16:31
[LAN access from remote] from 107.170.195.201:40119 to 192.168.1.22:2222, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:15:36
[LAN access from remote] from 5.188.86.114:51736 to 192.168.1.22:30203, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:14:22
[LAN access from remote] from 80.89.157.71:43986 to 192.168.1.22:43964, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:14:19
[LAN access from remote] from 185.200.118.67:50963 to 192.168.1.22:1723, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:13:57
[LAN access from remote] from 111.170.193.253:37741 to 192.168.1.22:23, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:13:27
[LAN access from remote] from 81.22.45.75:55802 to 192.168.1.22:3392, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:12:41
[LAN access from remote] from 71.6.167.142:31743 to 192.168.1.22:129, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:12:39
[LAN access from remote] from 149.202.35.165:52815 to 192.168.1.22:5022, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:12:16
[LAN access from remote] from 185.254.122.32:5555 to 192.168.1.22:5555, Sunday, May 05, 2019 08:12:09

I looked up a few and I get odd locations like Puerto Rico, Japan, etc

I'm not able to tell on the IP lookup if these are servers or indivuals, I see some are of the Corporate type, while some are of the Broadband type. English isn't my first language but I assume broadband means that It's an individual?

I did read somewhere on here that DumaOS Classified Games would cover the Switch but for some reason the High Priority Traffic Detected's red light doesn't light up whenever I'm playing, I always just figured It didn't work with the Switch. By Nat type being open you mean the Nat Filtering being open instead of secured? Because I left mine on secured, I did however try having it on open this morning and It didn't appear to do anything.

• Administrators

I think it should be fine, make sure access from WAN is disabled in Settings though just in case. 

Thanks for the heads up, it should work, i'll pass that onto the team. Disable that then and prioritize ports 1024-65535

I mean the console NAT Type itself is open so there isn't any port issues so I don't think what you did will make much difference in the long run

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think it should be fine, make sure access from WAN is disabled in Settings though just in case. 

Thanks for the heads up, it should work, i'll pass that onto the team. Disable that then and prioritize ports 1024-65535

I mean the console NAT Type itself is open so there isn't any port issues so I don't think what you did will make much difference in the long run

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "disabling WAN"? That option doesn't seem to be there.

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me, my free version of PingPlotter had expired and so I went ahead and purchased 1 month of the pro version. I'll keep it open at all time and try to gather some data, as recommended by you.

I don't think there's anything left to do at this point. Would you like me to update this thread if I ever find the source of the problem? Maybe It could be of use to you and your team?

Thanks again

Well, It didn't take long to discover something. By pinging my DNS servers I get incredibly high PL% on my gateway. It's at 97.5% for 8.8.8.8 currently, and It's about just as high on Videotron's DNS servers.

Do I contact my ISP now or is this something I can fix on my own? 

• Administrators

It's in Settings > Advanced > Remote Management just make sure that's disabled.

Feel free to post screenshots of PingPlotter here and we can give you some advice, yes absolutely that'd be very helpful!

That's craziness, just double check no local congestion is happening and use an ethernet cable. Try changing your DNS and see if this improves at all, you could try OpenDNS or Cloudflare. If it still hasn't improved then I'd contact the ISP yes.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's in Settings > Advanced > Remote Management just make sure that's disabled.

Feel free to post screenshots of PingPlotter here and we can give you some advice, yes absolutely that'd be very helpful!

That's craziness, just double check no local congestion is happening and use an ethernet cable. Try changing your DNS and see if this improves at all, you could try OpenDNS or Cloudflare. If it still hasn't improved then I'd contact the ISP yes.

I don't have a single device that's connected via wi-fi minus my phone. Everything I have is connected to the router with ethernet cables.

I'm gonna go ahead and send you a private message with the screenshots, I don't want to leak something I shouldn't be sharing. I doubt it but still.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Definitely use the DNS starting with 77, that seems to be the best for your connection then I'd forget about the others.

What about the 85.5 PL% It has? Doesn't that matter?

• Administrators

For packet loss you really just want to focus on the graph at the bottom, if it has any red bars then that is packet loss to worry about. Packet loss on the first hop could suggest that you need to change an ethernet cable but as it's not showing in the main graph I don't think it's anything to worry about.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

For packet loss you really just want to focus on the graph at the bottom, if it has any red bars then that is packet loss to worry about. Packet loss on the first hop could suggest that you need to change an ethernet cable but as it's not showing in the main graph I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I found the solution. 

Remember how I said I found malwares on my computer last month? Those were causing a tons of packet loss, however when I fixed them, I had already disconnected my ISP's modem and was already using the XR500.

I didn't bother plugging it back in because I had the same issues when playing the game back then with my ISP's modem, but that's actually all I had to do.

I connected my ISP's modem back, added the router into It's DMZ and then bridged it with the router, and now my internet has never been so fast and I no longer have any packet loss. 

I guess this is resolved, I just wish I had tried this sooner, so much time has been wasted on this. Ugh.

Thanks for your help Fraser, sorry for being such a hassle. I appreciate it!

• Administrators

Well that is fantastic to hear, thanks for posting the solution! Not a waste at all, whether you get to the solution yourself or not talking things out can spark an idea that helps :)

I'll close this topic for now but feel free to open another if needed, happy gaming!