Geo-Filter not working on Fortnite PC

relog

READ: THIS IS FOR ARENA (SOLO ARENA), queuing for regular solos works fine.

I set my PC to PC then tried it, I set it to Xbox then tried it and then it works... but why can't I set it to PC? when I set it to PC it doesn't work at all, but when I set it to xbox it works.. that makes 0 sense, also it's only showing up Ohio servers which I get 60ms to, where are they virginia servers i get 45ms to them i want them

Edit: look at this picture, it only comes up the 58ms ohio server, i want the 45ms virginia server :(

Capture.PNG

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That's actually a standard way to get Geo-Filtering working on a PC if a standard PC service doesn't work, seems as though we need to update the Fortnite service so thanks for the heads up. Fortnite works in a weird way in that they only decide the server you're going to connect to as you're loading into the game/run around lobby island so you need to keep quitting back to the lobby in order to search again and then hopefully get the server within your radius the next time. Some people find it easier to switch to spectating mode, look for the server they got and quit back and research, may be quicker than waiting to be booted from the loading screen.

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That's actually a standard way to get Geo-Filtering working on a PC if a standard PC service doesn't work, seems as though we need to update the Fortnite service so thanks for the heads up. Fortnite works in a weird way in that they only decide the server you're going to connect to as you're loading into the game/run around lobby island so you need to keep quitting back to the lobby in order to search again and then hopefully get the server within your radius the next time. Some people find it easier to switch to spectating mode, look for the server they got and quit back and research, may be quicker than waiting to be booted from the loading screen.

Every single time I queue for Arena Solo it goes to the Ohio server tho, I want the virginia server, but in regular solos it works fine

EDIT: im on windows 7 by the way

• Administrators

I'm not aware of the Arena Solo gametype, they might have servers dedicated to it if it's not a permanent gametype but the same still applies in that you'd have to keep quitting in order to try and get it

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm not aware of the Arena Solo gametype, they might have servers dedicated to it if it's not a permanent gametype but the same still applies in that you'd have to keep quitting in order to try and get it

I kept trying and trying and trying sooo many times now I lost count and it's ALWAYS on Ohio server for arena solo ;-;

• Administrators

It might be that the Virginia server is mis-located on the map and therefore not within your radius. I'd suggest using the spectating method every time and pinging the server you get find the one with the lowest ping even if it's not in Virginia

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It might be that the Virginia server is mis-located on the map and therefore not within your radius. I'd suggest using the spectating method every time and pinging the server you get find the one with the lowest ping even if it's not in Virginia

That sadly doesn't work either. :(

• Administrators

I think the only logical conclusion here then is the game is only using the Ohio server for this game type at the moment. Have you ever seen it show in Virginia?

7 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

I think the only logical conclusion here then is the game is only using the Ohio server for this game type at the moment. Have you ever seen it show in Virginia?

I got put in the Virginia server once out of about 30 tries for the Solo Arena, so it's there...

• Administrators

If you're only getting it that little I would assume that it is an overflow server when the Ohio server is under heavy load such as peak times and thus not ordinarily available. If you're not getting with filter on or off that seems like the most likely explanation.

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you're only getting it that little I would assume that it is an overflow server when the Ohio server is under heavy load such as peak times and thus not ordinarily available. If you're not getting with filter on or off that seems like the most likely explanation.

Ok so I just played 3 games of Solo Arena and they both were on Virginia (I didn't use geo-filter btw) so maybe when alot of people are playing they use ohio servers ? :( IS THERE A WAY TO DISABLE OHIO SERVER AND ONLY ALLOW VIRGINIA SERVER?

• Administrators
6 hours ago, relog said:

Ok so I just played 3 games of Solo Arena and they both were on Virginia (I didn't use geo-filter btw) so maybe when alot of people are playing they use ohio servers ? :( IS THERE A WAY TO DISABLE OHIO SERVER AND ONLY ALLOW VIRGINIA SERVER?

So the game decides which server it will give you of the two. The Geo-Filter can block the Ohio server, but then it's a bit slow to return to the lobby. So your best option is to have the Geo-Filter in Spectating Mode and return to the lobby whenever you're given the Ohio server when you join the game.

I appreciate that's not ideal, but that's just how they designed their netcode unfortunately.

13 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

So the game decides which server it will give you of the two. The Geo-Filter can block the Ohio server, but then it's a bit slow to return to the lobby. So your best option is to have the Geo-Filter in Spectating Mode and return to the lobby whenever you're given the Ohio server when you join the game.

I appreciate that's not ideal, but that's just how they designed their netcode unfortunately.

So basically I should return my Netduma R1? The sole reason I bought it was for Geo-Filter and it doesn't work in my case.

• Administrators

I wouldn't say that, without the Geo-Filter you still wouldn't be able to ensure you get on the server you want and most likely get on a server that plays worse for you. That combined with the outstanding QoS will make sure you have the best connection possible.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I wouldn't say that, without the Geo-Filter you still wouldn't be able to ensure you get on the server you want and most likely get on a server that plays worse for you. That combined with the outstanding QoS will make sure you have the best connection possible.

if I don't use R1 Router and just use my modem from my ISP and plug it into my pc I get 56ms, but with Netduma R1 router I get 58ms, that's a extra 2 ms, i wouldnt mind this but im not using geo filter so whats the point..

• Administrators

2ms is negligible so you wouldn't notice it, that could be to do with the cable you're using to connect the modem to the router. Through the modem/ISP hub you won't be protected from local congestion so that 2ms could turn into a lot more. You can use the Geo-Filter to ID the servers and make sure you get on the right one by quitting if you want to. What is the ms difference between the two servers by the way?

Virginia is 44ms, Ohio is 58ms, it's a HUGE difference in fortnite competitive scene, I qualify for finals and your saying i need to LEAVE my qualifying games just to get geo-filter to work?? leaving a match counts as a qualifying game...

• Administrators

Do you get the ping from the game or on the Geo-Filter? A ping variance like that generally isn’t too noticeable. I wasn’t aware that is what you were doing, it is of course up to you if you decide to use the Geo-Filter or not, there isn’t anything else we can do on that front, it’s the way their game works. QoS will give you a great benefit if you’re competing.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you get the ping from the game or on the Geo-Filter? A ping variance like that generally isn’t too noticeable. I wasn’t aware that is what you were doing, it is of course up to you if you decide to use the Geo-Filter or not, there isn’t anything else we can do on that front, it’s the way their game works. QoS will give you a great benefit if you’re competing.

My problem is I have gigabite internet, BUT i live in newfoundland, so extremely far away from fortnite servers, what can I do to combat this instead of moving? i bought the R1 to see if it would help but it didnt so far.

• Administrators

We can't do anything about the location of servers, that's down to the game. The further you away from servers you are the higher the ping will be. You can't change that at all really. Only thing that might help is changing ISP to one that has a lower base ping or betting routing to servers but no real way to verify this before switching. The Geo-Filters allows you to choose the closest servers which will give you the best ping possible for your location/connection.