xr700 and vpn

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay good so it is actually applying. Keep the VPN IP in the DNS of the router but then can you add a normal device like a PC please and see if the IP changes for that device?

i tried that also and saw no change even on my main system.

edit: also when i said it did 0 to the console i mean when the vpn was applied to the console and "Block Traffic If VPN Disconnects" was enabled and when the vpn disconnected it did nothing to the console. no disconnect or anything like its not even applying or something. i even tried purepvn and HMA, nothing.(and the ip was always my public external IP not VPN).

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for clarifying, that's very strange. Do you use PPPoE, IPv6 or VLAN at all?

everything is set to default basically in that area no PPOE no VLAN but my isp does support ipv6 but i dont use it.

• Administrators

Try with your PC and use Only VPN these services and make manual rules for port 80 and 443 and see if you can see the IP change. There may be a caching issue where it will read your IP initially so may need to use an Incognito window or refresh a few times to make sure.

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Try with your PC and use Only VPN these services and make manual rules for port 80 and 443 and see if you can see the IP change. There may be a caching issue where it will read your IP initially so may need to use an Incognito window or refresh a few times to make sure.

i tried that and my ip did not change, if you wanna pm me i can show you exactly how i set everything up. 

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yeah send a PM and let me know what you've done as it doesn't really make sense at the moment. What is your exact physical setup?

pm'd

• Administrators

Thanks for the PM. Could you please try reinstalling the firmware using TFTP https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP and then doing a factory reset after that and then seeing if the VPN works please?

On 8/6/2020 at 6:20 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the PM. Could you please try reinstalling the firmware using TFTP https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP and then doing a factory reset after that and then seeing if the VPN works please?

so i tried this and it worked. now i have no issues. thanks for the awesome support as always! also signed up for 3.0 hopefully vpn will be in beta :)

edit: also question is their anyway i can just ttl/ssh into the router and change any of the openvpn cfg's? 

On 8/8/2020 at 6:10 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's fantastic to hear, thanks for the update and you're welcome!

No not as far as I am aware.

okay update. after a few days it stopped working again. the only thing new to the network is i logged into the netgear nighthawk app to see if the hybrid vpn was able to be accessed via app.  after that no affect on my consoles.

i also tried to re tftp the fw back and still not working again. any ideas?

• Administrators

Have you done any manual port forwarding, using the DMZ or anything like that for the consoles? Remove the devices from Hybrid VPN and then give them a reserved IP in LAN Settings, reboot the router and readd them to the VPN. Use the server IP as DNS again and see if that helps please.

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you done any manual port forwarding, using the DMZ or anything like that for the consoles? Remove the devices from Hybrid VPN and then give them a reserved IP in LAN Settings, reboot the router and readd them to the VPN. Use the server IP as DNS again and see if that helps please.

so i shut off ipv6 and reserved the ip for console and it started working again.