PPPoE over 100 mbps

Hi,

So I have a 250 mbps connection from my ISP which is Etisalat here is in the UAE. They still have this over PPPoE and there is no easy way out of this. They recently upgraded me from 100 mbps to 250 mbps but all I get using the R1 is 70 mbps which I believe is due to some sort of a problem because when I connect another router lying around flashed with dd-wrt it shows me what I need to see which is over 220 mbps.

Do you have a clear limit to your bandwidth when over PPPoE? Please advice. I cannot configure or make any changes to the box/modem they provide as this is restricted to them. I do not have the password and no I cannot set the PPPoE on the modem and take it off the config from my R1. Is this an issue? If yes, it means I cannot use this router and that is quite frustrating.

What seems to be you guys' issue with PPPoE?

PPPoE is the login credential type so that does not limit speeds, the only limitation is what your line is allowed/ capable of.  I have a 350 down and 50up PPPoE connection with no issues at all. As for advising you on your setup.

@BIG__DOG - while I thank you for your feedback I must also direct you to the many threads where I notice it being discussed that the R1 at this point in time seems to be not too friendly with PPPoE that is over 100mbps.

Ref:

Do we have a fix to this? I have not moved to the DumaOS cause I've tried it and had my fair share of issues with it which is why I downgraded. I will never be able to tinker with my modem from my ISP because that's how it is in this part of town.

So PPPoE over NetDuma R1 - what is the current acceptable bandwidth limit @Netduma Fraser?

22 minutes ago, RyukDG said:

@BIG__DOG - while I thank you for your feedback I must also direct you to the many threads where I notice it being discussed that the R1 at this point in time seems to be not too friendly with PPPoE that is over 100mbps.

Ref:

Do we have a fix to this? I have not moved to the DumaOS cause I've tried it and had my fair share of issues with it which is why I downgraded. I will never be able to tinker with my modem from my ISP because that's how it is in this part of town.

So PPPoE over NetDuma R1 - what is the current acceptable bandwidth limit @Netduma Fraser?

Agh, sorry I misread your post. I do not have the R1 now as I am using the XR500. Yes, the R1 is limited as the PPPoE functionality was only added as an ease of use for PPPoE users but does not fully support PPPoE. There is no fix and as far as I am aware there is nothing that will be happening for that. 

• Administrators

The limit is around 120mbps. What I would suggest you do is go modem > DD-WRT router (to handle PPPoE, R1 in its DMZ, disable its UPnP, port forwarding & WiFi) > R1, shouldn't have any NAT issues like that either and will allow you to get full wired speeds through the R1.

43 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The limit is around 120mbps. What I would suggest you do is go modem > DD-WRT router (to handle PPPoE, R1 in its DMZ, disable its UPnP, port forwarding & WiFi) > R1, shouldn't have any NAT issues like that either and will allow you to get full wired speeds through the R1.

My question is - why exactly does R1 have a limit with PPPoE to 120 mbps when a nincompoop little device flashed with free dd-wrt does not. The problem on hand here is; said flashed router is inconsistent and I have tried a couple of them where I have disconnection, timeouts etc. For me, the R1 is damn stable that's the number 1 thing about this device. Else considering how the WIFI part of t he R1 is no good it wouldn't be the choice in a home setup where others share and WIFI is critical.

In any case, is this a known problem and if yes, do we expect a fix or are you planning to leave it as it is?

• Administrators

If it's able to be fixed then it would be done so on DumaOS. It's currently a limitation, not sure if it's hardware + plus combination of all the software features. So it's not ideal then for you to have the setup I suggested? Theres no real other way around it at the moment unfortunately.

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If it's able to be fixed then it would be done so on DumaOS. It's currently a limitation, not sure if it's hardware + plus combination of all the software features. So it's not ideal then for you to have the setup I suggested? Theres no real other way around it at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks. Quite sad actually :(