Hybrid VPN - Filter Plex Traffic

Hello.

First off I am not having ANY issues with the hybrid VPN.

I am running NordVPN which connects fine then I'm running my smart TV through the VPN, but I don't want my Plex traffic to be filtered through the VPN which incures buffering when streaming.

Would it be possible for the devs to add in the "Don't VPN Services" a Plex option, so any Plex traffic is filtered to my ISP and avoids the VPN. 😀

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That could be possible to add it yes. Meanwhile I would suggest looking up the ports that plex uses and then add that as a manual service for it not to VPN.

Tbh I've tried adding the ports but can't add more, the only way I can get buffer free is to add 1:65535 but that means my whole TV is exposed. 

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How do you setup Plex on your PC? On the client it should tell you the port it is using and you can then add that to the VPN

I'm not using Plex on a PC/Laptop, I am using Plex through a LG SmartTV...

LG Smart TV > XR500 > VPN > WAN 🤗

• Administrators

Plex is a media server though correct? So the Smart TV needs to stream from a device with the content on? 

There should be a way to see the port on the TV in secure connection or something like that

On 3/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Plex is a media server though correct? So the Smart TV needs to stream from a device with the content on? 

There should be a way to see the port on the TV in secure connection or something like that

Sorry I took so long to reply. Yes, the Plex Client App on my TV displays the remote server port, but still I've tried adding it so many way in the advanced tab, only option works is doing 1:65535 but then all traffic filters through the VPN I don't want this, the remote port which my TV displays is: 32400 > I assume this is for remote access from TV > Plex Server.

I have a seedbox so it comes with a free Plex server addon. 😂

• Administrators

Not to worry, thanks for the information! I assume it's probably using port 80 or 443 which makes it difficult. Just in case though could you use the already available console service and see if that works please.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Not to worry, thanks for the information! I assume it's probably using port 80 or 443 which makes it difficult. Just in case though could you use the already available console service and see if that works please.

OK - I would prefer to use the TV only since it's 4K and supports HDR, and the old man won't let me have ANY consoles hooked up. 🤣