Help: QoS Is Not Working On My PS4 Due To Device Manager

So it's kind of a theory but i've messed around a bit. In QoS Traffic Prioritization Ive disabled the standard "all devices" and specifically added my PS4 so that other game consoles weren't in priority with me (I know;selfish). Here's the thing. In the device manager my PS4 is shown as offline even if I'm streaming gameplay. I also notice worse ping when disabling all devices and specifying mine in traffic priority. But deleting my PS4 and enabling all devices reduces ping. So I have this theory that because my PS4 is shown as offline my nighthawk, my router does not use the QoS on my PS4 because it does not detect it online.

TL:DR

Why isn't my PS4 showing online in Device Manager? I've matched mac addresses so I know I'm looking at the right one. Is there a way I can prioritize only my PS4 over other game consoles besides adding my PS4 specifically to traffic prioritization and t disabling the standard all devices?

NOTE: I also NEVER see my PS4 in the network monitor (even with high demand streaming) but I think I found out why now.

• Administrators

Hi there - first of all, have you alternated how the PS4 connects? PS4 wireless and PS4 wired will show as two different devices on the Device Manager (they have different MAC addresses). So it's possible that's the reason you believe your PS4 is offline because obviously one will be offline all the time. Easiest way to check is to look at the online devices, could any of them be your PS4? If you're not sure, turn off your PS4 and then delete the PS4 from the Device Manager. Then switch your PS4 back on, and see if it appears as a new Device on your Network Map.

Onto QoS - when you added the PS4 to Traffic Prio, did you assign all ports? If so, please undo this. Traffic Prio is just for low latency traffic (it puts it to the front of any queue) so if you have ALL PS4 traffic going through this, game downloads, media etc, it will overwhelm QoS. So please undo this configuration. Instead, allocate bandwidth to your PS4 on Bandwidth Allocation.

Does that then resolve your issue?

If not, might be wise to factory reset the router to restore defaults, should be OK after that.

5 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi there - first of all, have you alternated how the PS4 connects? PS4 wireless and PS4 wired will show as two different devices on the Device Manager (they have different MAC addresses). So it's possible that's the reason you believe your PS4 is offline because obviously one will be offline all the time. Easiest way to check is to look at the online devices, could any of them be your PS4? If you're not sure, turn off your PS4 and then delete the PS4 from the Device Manager. Then switch your PS4 back on, and see if it appears as a new Device on your Network Map.

Onto QoS - when you added the PS4 to Traffic Prio, did you assign all ports? If so, please undo this. Traffic Prio is just for low latency traffic (it puts it to the front of any queue) so if you have ALL PS4 traffic going through this, game downloads, media etc, it will overwhelm QoS. So please undo this configuration. Instead, allocate bandwidth to your PS4 on Bandwidth Allocation.

Does that then resolve your issue?

If not, might be wise to factory reset the router to restore defaults, should be OK after that.

Thank you for the response. When I get home I will try identifying if my wireless and wired connection have different Mac addresses. What you say seems very promising so I'm hoping I'm tracking my WiFi PS4 address instead of my wired Mac address. Would make a lot of sense because I never use wifi on my PS4 so it would show as offline. I also have an unidentified PS4 online so it's possible that's mine in wired-form. Will update with results! 

12 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

So I've found both of my mac addresses in my PS4 settings and neither of them are showing up as online. I have not done anything with traffic prio other than add ps4 with game console preset settings. In fact a lot of devices that are offline I cant even delete because they're online but showed as offline?