thinking about upgrading to netgear cm1000

purpleandgold33

Hey so I currently own this modem tp link 7610. It works great and I have a stable ping. So I've been watching some vids and this netgear modem cm1000 is supposed to be the next greatest thing in technology. Docsis 3.1 can handle speeds up to 1gig up/down. I have 200 down 10 up. Thinking about upgrading my package to 400 down 20 up due to 5 ppl in my household I feel we could use more bandwidth. So my old modem won't be able to handle those speeds. Anyways, this thing is supposed have qos built into it and be lightning fast with gaming packets, etc. Does anyone own one of these yet and do they like it? It is $180! A lot of money for a modem.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you got a modem yet or not but ive heard good reviews from the cm1000, sb8200, and the mb8600.. Any three of those would work fine.. It will come down too what you prefer and what your ISP will allow.. But im fairly sure the cm1000 is going to be allowed on a lot of different carriers.. Again just give them a call and ask.. Some providers when the modem is provisioned it will run between DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1. Meaning it might not run in DOCSIS 3.1 until you start to pull excessive bandwidth. But as far as the QoS goes the way I understand it is that is active regardless if one is running 3.0 or 3.1 because that is built into the chipset.. From what I hear is that your latency should be lower.. Some say even by half.. Which I do find that hard to believe myself but who knows.. Im currently thinking on getting one myself not sure what brand yet but I want to see what my ISP uses and what they allow for brands.. Personally I wish I could get a symmetrical plan that will get me symmetrical speeds. And I would be happy at 100/100..  Good luck!

Zippy.