QoS sliders have zero effect

I was noticing a difference to my connection and I went to bufferbloat test just for initial testing and found that no matter what settings I use for anti bufferbloat it does not change my speed whatsoever. Where should I start?

50/10 connection tests at 53/11 with crap bufferbloat on upstream only.  I generally set the device so that I am at 48/8 and I get all A's.

XR500

Latest firmware

No IPv6

ISP ->DHCP IPv4

All traffic is routed thru XR500.

I have 2 devices, my PC and another router handling my other devices on their own subnet

OK this is getting weird. I have everything unplugged but the ISP modem>netduma>PC and if I set the sliders to 50% I get exactly 25Mbps down so that started working after waiting for 5 minutes (??)  But now, my upstream, is whacked... I can't get more than 2Mbps upload without massive spikes in bufferbloat. 

I can unplug the netduma and go straight into my PC and the bufferbloat is good, A+,  even at full speed. 53/11  WTF is going on here?

Also another thing, on the sliders, if I move them from say 100% to 75% no matter how long I wait it does nothing.  I still get same speeds and full speeds,  but If I move it lower than 50% it works.

This router is driving me insane, everywhere you turn there is some weird out of nowhere issue or caveat. 

OK for simplicity sake here are my settings in QoS.

detected speeds 53/11

options GOODPUT OFF,   tried with ON no change

sliders set at 80%

Anti-bufferbloat settings ALWAYS ,  tried only when...detected

Share excess is always ON

Guest Killhippie
29 minutes ago, stalker4hire- said:

OK this is getting weird. I have everything unplugged but the ISP modem>netduma>PC and if I set the sliders to 50% I get exactly 25Mbps down so that started working after waiting for 5 minutes (??)  But now, my upstream, is whacked... I can't get more than 2Mbps upload without massive spikes in bufferbloat. 

I can unplug the netduma and go straight into my PC and the bufferbloat is good, A+,  even at full speed. 53/11  WTF is going on here?

Also another thing, on the sliders, if I move them from say 100% to 75% no matter how long I wait it does nothing.  I still get same speeds and full speeds,  but If I move it lower than 50% it works.

This router is driving me insane, everywhere you turn there is some weird out of nowhere issue or caveat. 

detected speeds 53/11

sliders set at 80%

Anti-bufferbloat settings ALWAYS ,  tried only when...detected

You really should have all devices going though the XR500 so it can deal with those devices itself, why are they being used on another router, surely you want them to controlled by the XR500's own QoS? If you are using the other router as a switch it may well be better to get a actual switch and connect it to the XR500.

Clear your browsers cache and log back in. If it still has no effect reboot, if still nothing works donwload the firmware from the Netgear site, update again, the log out and use the pinhole in the back to do a factory reset and do not use a back up set the router up, do it manually. Hopefully clearing the cache in your browser and also making sure if you use do use a adblocker the routers URL's are whitelisted will help. If not time to reset, and there is no no harm in re-downloading the firmware, also after it says its updated leave it an extra few minutes after logging out, I tend to find netgears update is a little quick and things may still be happening in the background. Then factory reset and all should be good.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

You really should have all devices going though the XR500 so it can deal with those devices itself, why are they being used on another router, surely you want them to controlled by the XR500's own QoS? If you are using the other router as a switch it may well be better to get a actual switch and connect it to the XR500.

Clear your browsers cache and log back in. If it still has no effect reboot, if still nothing works donwload the firmware from the Netgear site, update again, the log out and use the pinhole in the back to do a factory reset and do not use a back up set the router up, do it manually. Hopefully clearing the cache in your browser and also making sure if you use do use a adblocker the routers URL's are whitelisted will help. If not time to reset, and there is no no harm in re-downloading the firmware, also after it says its updated leave it an extra few minutes after logging out, I tend to find netgears update is a little quick and things may still be happening in the background. Then factory reset and all should be good.

This is great advice, please could you folllow this.

Also when testing bufferbloat, make sure you have set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Always' mode.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:01 AM, Killhippie said:

Technically all the devices are going through the Xr500.  The Xr500 recognizes the other router as just another network device and will handle QoS per norm still allowing my gaming PC to take advantage of the QoS and priority over all other devices connected to the other router downstream.  

However, as stated above,  the problem still exists with that router and the devices behind it unplugged. This wasn't the case before these issues appeared after the recent update. I have performed an reset and update this evening with the same results ONLY with my PC plugged in. I can unplug my ISP router and go straight to my PC and everything is fine. I have tried all of the things you've suggested with no change. I think I am ready to throw the towel in. I received this device after 6 months of troubleshooting with Netgear directly over issue with my first Xr500 that they could reproduce but not correct so they rolled the dice by giving me another router. Guess I'll wait until duma 3.0. It's close but just not quite there yet. 

21 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

This is great advice, please could you folllow this.

Also when testing bufferbloat, make sure you have set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Always' mode.

from my post above...

detected speeds 53/11

sliders set at 80%

Anti-bufferbloat settings ALWAYS ,  tried only when...detected     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  THIS IS MY NORMAL MODE ALWAYS ON******************************

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, stalker4hire- said:

Technically all the devices are going through the Xr500.  The Xr500 recognizes the other router as just another network device and will handle QoS per norm still allowing my gaming PC to take advantage of the QoS and priority over all other devices connected to the other router downstream.  

However, as stated above,  the problem still exists with that router and the devices behind it unplugged. This wasn't the case before these issues appeared after the recent update. I have performed an reset and update this evening with the same results ONLY with my PC plugged in. I can unplug my ISP router and go straight to my PC and everything is fine. I have tried all of the things you've suggested with no change. I think I am ready to throw the towel in. I received this device after 6 months of troubleshooting with Netgear directly over issue with my first Xr500 that they could reproduce but not correct so they rolled the dice by giving me another router. Guess I'll wait until duma 3.0. It's close but just not quite there yet. 

Having a clear overview of your network would really help. Also if you have all devices plugged into just your XR500 it will prioritise your gaming PC always once its been added in Geo filter, above all other devices on your network anyway, that's how its designed to work. It then gives you control over all devices with QoS for each device, but the gaming PC will always get priority so there is no need to have the other devices on a separate device, unless you are using that as a switch or repeater. Still all devices should be plugged into the XR500 really and a switch plugged into one of the XR500's Ethernet ports would be the best way to go to use other devices hardwired downstream but there is no need to separate all your devices from your gaming PC unless as I said you are using the ISP router as a switch for hardwired clients. So could you please just outline your network map, what's plugged in before the XR500 acting as a modem? What state is the ISP router in that's downstream from the XR500?  (i.e AP mode) and what's plugged into your ISP router. etc That would really help. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 2:03 AM, Killhippie said:

Having a clear overview of your network would really help. Also if you have all devices plugged into just your XR500 it will prioritise your gaming PC always once its been added in Geo filter, above all other devices on your network anyway, that's how its designed to work. It then gives you control over all devices with QoS for each device, but the gaming PC will always get priority so there is no need to have the other devices on a separate device, unless you are using that as a switch or repeater. Still all devices should be plugged into the XR500 really and a switch plugged into one of the XR500's Ethernet ports would be the best way to go to use other devices hardwired downstream but there is no need to separate all your devices from your gaming PC unless as I said you are using the ISP router as a switch for hardwired clients. So could you please just outline your network map, what's plugged in before the XR500 acting as a modem? What state is the ISP router in that's downstream from the XR500?  (i.e AP mode) and what's plugged into your ISP router. etc That would really help. :)

I'm not sure what to say so that you can comprehend. My network is a moot point since the issue persists with ONLY the netduma and ONLY one PC as previously stated twice now. 

If you must know. It's the ISP device in bridge mode> XR500> PC =port 2   Router2=port 3.  All other devices behind Router2.  The reasoning is my house has PoE cams and wifi APs. 

Not sure how much more clear I can be. It's a pretty basic setup. Basically XR500 is the first device handed an IP from ISP bridge mode modem. From there the PC and Router 2 are on one subnet and everything else is behind Router2 on an entirely different subnet. Basic. 

I am well aware of how the device is suppsoed to function and work. I have been around off and on since 2015?.

*Sigh* I wish people were as quick to read and comprehend as they were to spew out the same info over and over.... rinse repeat. Thanks for the help but if it's of no help...

On 1/12/2019 at 7:09 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Does it appear to work if you use WiFi instead or if you use another wired PC at all? 

Fraser I don't use wifi on the XR500 and didn't on the R1. My network design has been in place this way for a very long time and things functioned as they should. I can turn wifi on if that's going to be the nail this TS hangs on. However, it has nothing to do with my situation since I expect the function to work across the router on Gigabit wired.

After all it's a gaming router and "...no gamer worth his XXXXX, games over wifi..."<humor>