XR500 issues slow and apps fail to load

So after reading a load of reviews I decided to get one of these XR500 devices.

So far so bad.......

First time setup failed at the detecting internet point. So I changed cables , rebooted the Virgin Modem and reset the XR to defualts

Eventually if got thru the internet detection and let me complete the set up.

I now have several issues, most of the dash board doesn't load up (I have tried on 3 pcs one configured with zero adware/malware etc software)

I get spinning wheels in most of the tiles.

Biggest issue is I cant event get into netgear settings ?

Any ideas before i finally give up on netgear completely . I tried to open a support ticket , no joy the netgear site says I have no warranty and no telephone 90 day support (in UK) this on brand new box purchased today 

I desperately need to be able to access the settings at the very least . 

Running latest fw from the netgear site

Guest Killhippie

If the unit is a brand new retail unit you have two years warranty in the UK and 90 days support so something is not adding up here. I would suggest you return the unit to where you bought it from and complain.  If it’s been bought online as new and it’s not it sounds like you have been duped. Have you tried a factory reset? Press the small button in the small hole at the back fir about 20 seconds the leave the router to reboot leave it for a few minutes and try logging in.  However either way if you’ve bought the unit as new and it has no warranty at all something is very wrong, and I would suggest returning it as soon as possible and buying another one elsewhere. 

Hi, It came from Argos Brand new in a box. Anyway, after finally getting thru on the phone they (Netgear) went thru a load of stuff. Downgrading resets , wipes you name it

Eventually, we got it working by removing 90% of what's connected to my LAN!

After many hours this evening, it would seem that it can't cope with more than about 20 devices.

It also could not calculate the speed of my 350Mbps VM connection and defaulted to 10M. 

Eventually, Netgear support suggested returning it for a refund as it just wouldn't stay up with 40+ devices on the LAN. I am wondering if its possible to disable some of the apps that I don't need (geo loc etc)

5 hours ago, alunjuk said:

Hi, It came from Argos Brand new in a box. Anyway, after finally getting thru on the phone they (Netgear) went thru a load of stuff. Downgrading resets , wipes you name it

After many hours this evening, it would seem that it can't cope with more than about 20 devices.

It also could not calculate the speed of my 350Mbps VM connection and defaulted to 10M. 

Eventually, Netgear support suggested returning it for a refund as it just wouldn't stay up with 40+ devices on the LAN. I am wondering if its possible to disable some of the apps that I don't need (geo loc etc)

it can handle MUCH more than 40 devices. It is possible that one of your devices is causing issues with the network load. I would try to test this by adding each device one by one and seeing how your router reacts to them. It still may be possible your router is malfunctioning and a replacement is in order.

Guest Killhippie
12 hours ago, alunjuk said:

The router can handle up to 250 devices. I think maybe the Netgear site may be buggy if it's not saying you have a warranty, as you definitely do. The issue with speedtest not working is known, you just add your speed manually at present. Go to speedtest,net which is what Netgear uses and add the speeds you get from running a speed test via your browser manually. That will work fine. Make sure HT160 is turned off, also for some turning off MU-MIMO helps. Keep 20/40 coexistence ticked. Make sure WMM is ticked as well.

DumaOS is a gaming platform and things like the Geo Filter, antibufferbloat and QoS etc are what makes this router stand out, but its a bit of a waste waste if you don't use these features as you are missing out on what makes this router so good for gamers. It does sound like the router is having issues although its rare for clients to bring a router as powerful as the XR500 down, mine handles anything I throw at it pretty much, but setting it up correctly makes all the difference. (not saying you have not)

So the router may possibly be faulty and as if so exchanging it would be a good idea obviously, although before doing so could you tell us what devices you are connecting and what settings you are using, as right now as we don't have a lot to go on to provide help, as it may be settings causing the issue not the hardware itself. If you are an avid gamer many people here can show you why the DumaOS features you say you don't need turned on are worth setting up and using. These features should not effect the routers stability with other clients on your LAN tbh apart from keeping the Xbox and PS4 in standby mode if they are hardwired which has been known to cause some issues on the current firmware.

Also what devices are you connecting to the router?  I ask this so that we can see a better picture of your usage and maybe also help advise if the XR500 is the best fit for your needs and help make sure it is actually faulty hardware (which it may be of course) rather than something else.  :)

Hi , thanks for the reply.

Sooo not a gamer but selected the device to replace a very old R6300. Reasoning for this , QOS , realtime utilization displays, and an assumption that given gamers want low pings with low jitters it should help with VOIP and a few other things I have here. Also the price was right and I had some argos vouchers to burn lol.

I hope to use the QOS to prioritize on the local lan between my work VPN and the wife streaming UHD content at 40-50 m a second ! So far it seems to work well in that area

So firstly , yes I guess the site is buggy as they were happy to open a case , I wonder if someone actually checks the proof of purchase first .

I found where to set the speed now (the gui is a little inconsistent) but I am on VM 350 mbps so have set 350 down and 20 up in the config.

So connecting to the router are around 50 devices, the normal mix of IOT stuff , PS3 , Android TV , many PCs, VMware Lab, Mail and web servers (yes I am using a lot of port forwarding )

I discovered a post elsewhere about increasing the start retries in the rapp list to 5. That has enabled the routers gui to come up reliably now

On further investigation it seems that its the DUMAOS stuff that is struggling , usually the Network utilization app dies first followed by QOS and Geo. In every case the netgear interface at index.htm is still active and usable. One thing that seems to have helped is labeling all the devices in the map. Originally there were many unknown devices , I have as suggested by xolhid , added them in one by one to test and label

As of now its up and seems stable , wifi is quick and reporting a solid 300.

Oddly the system load average is 4-5 and i am showing a pretty solid 50-55% CPU utilization does that seem normal ?

Very grateful for the feed back as I am not your typical use case for this device

• Administrators

Hi - those numbers sound fine. And others have said, the hardware & DumaOS can handle many more devices than you have connected to it, so no idea why you had that initial problem.

To change the max bandwidth settings, click on the three horizontal lines in the top left corner of the Anti-Bufferbloat panel (in QoS). You may want to click on the '?' at the top of the QoS page next to where it says 'QoS'. This launches a very quick tour which will show you how the overall feature works.

There's also some optimal settings guides here too: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Thanks Admin. 

I have followed the guides (that are relevant to me ) and will see how it goes. What did you think of the CPU utilisation and system load ? They seem high to me

Quick question , when it arrives will hybrid vpn be compatible with Cyber ghost ?

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, alunjuk said:

What did you think of the CPU utilisation and system load ? They seem high to me

If you're putting a lot of bandwidth through the router then it would make sense. If you're getting this at an idle state then that's quite high. No harm in rebooting the router if you haven't already.

25 minutes ago, alunjuk said:

Quick question , when it arrives will hybrid vpn be compatible with Cyber ghost ?

So long as Cyber Ghost provides OpenVPN config files then yes it will (which I think they do). If my memory servers, a few of the R1 guys might even have Cyber Ghost setup already, but I can't 100% remember.

But yes, if they have OpenVPN files then it'll work great.

That's with pretty much zero bandwidth.

A reboot makes no odds. Did you read up that I needed to push up the retry on the rapps to get them to even start.

is there any way of collecting any more sane log files ( not that awful email thing)

• Administrators

NETGEAR can give you a debug firmware to run if it's needed. You don't have a tonne of tabs open of each DumaOS page by any chance? That can put strain on the router's CPU.

I did see that, which hints at some underlying installation cause. One thing I was going to suggest is to try reinstalling the firmware, as weird as it sounds. It's probably not needed now though as you have got everything working - but if you want to, you can install the latest firmware again: https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Guest Killhippie
22 minutes ago, alunjuk said:

That's with pretty much zero bandwidth.

A reboot makes no odds. Did you read up that I needed to push up the retry on the rapps to get them to even start.

is there any way of collecting any more sane log files ( not that awful email thing)

Since the router is brand new you really should not be having these issues. I would exchange it at Argos for a new one and start again. I never had the loading issues with R-Apps or the high CPU utilisation you have, but I don't know what you have running in the background. You are entitled to a new router so replace it in case there are more issues down the line. but first try if you feel up to it to re download the latest firmware from Netgears site, upload it,  wait a couple of minutes for it to do its thing, even after it says its finished, log out and do a factory reset via the pin hole on the back, hold for 20 seconds let the router reboot and set up from scratch.

Make sure you have cleared your browsers cache and have any adblockers set to exclude the URL's the router uses. If it still glitches out after a nice clean install (dont use any backups,  put all settings in back in manually)  then return it for another as you should not be having issues after a full reset and a reload of the firmware on a new router. :)

just FYI to anyone who looks at CPU usage, the CPU usage app/window can spike to 90 when you first open the web gui, but not even a second later (after it all loads up) the line flattens out and stays around 5-20% and sometimes jumps to 30-40, then back down to 5-20 for me -- and I have A LOT of devices