XR500 NO QOS NO High Priority.

Hello,  as you have probably guessed I have a XR500 that is having some issues.  I am a PC gamer and am looking for the BEST network performance I can get.  I am a Froniter customer and I have Fiber up to my home and CAT5E run throughout.  My conection is symetrical at 150/150.  We like most have computers, smart phones, smart tvs and things that are eating up that bandwidth.  I have tried to set QOS to 70% and always but it does not seem to work at all.  I have the classic games box checked and add a few of the listed games for my main PC under that category.  Been playing some Call of duty 4 and have noticed bad performance not the only game but this one is frequently played.  When I start the Battle.net App on my PC the High Priority traffic light comes on and then goes off after about 20 seconds. I start the game and never see it come on again.  I have seen some documents that state the QOS set to say 70% and always cuts the MBPS down to say 110 or something so you have the head room for the buffer bloat.  But mine never does that.  NEVER.  I can download a game and get full speed while many other devices are going.  I read on the form about Ping Plotter so I downloaded it and did my best to follow the recommendations.  First just Ping Plotter and then I downloaded a Steam game while it was running (screen shot attached).  I have even taken the QOS slider down to 20% and never see it work.  Am I doing something wrong?  I also want it to be known that the circle where you can change the upload and download bandwidth allocation is set to my PC's favor.  But I have also tried it with everything equal and no change.   I hope my images work out.  If you can see in task manager look at the MBPS on the Ethernet, if you can see it.  Thanks in advance I really hope I can get some help.  

Untitled.png

QOS1.png

QOS2.png

QOS3.png

Also I want to add, I am on the latest firmware. I have tried to add a port manually to the priority and I get the error that is in the attached screen shot.  Dont know what I am doing wrong there either, following the guide on the site to a T.  Not to add to much to this either but GEO filter thing doesnt work.  I have it open start a game like COD4 and the screen never changes.  No new info is given.  Again I am on PC and it seems like this is a console feature but in the quide it says it can be used..

Firmware version XR500 V2.3.2.32

4.png

• Administrators

Hi there - I have moved this to support.

First of all - the second post about that popup is a known issue which has been fixed in the next firmware. This will hopefully be released soon. If it's a real problem for you now, you can downgrade back to the previous firmware as it does not have this issue.

Your QoS settings look good so this should effectively flatline the ping spike, so the reason is probably somewhere else. There's a few causes I can immediately think of. Let's go through them:

1. What is your line like when idle (no traffic going through)? Run a Pingplotter test again to find this out
  2. Are you doing all these tests wired? It's possible there's congestion on Wifi that is causing this problem. A wired test would rule this out
  3. Could you disable IPv6 in >Settings >Advanced Settings

Thanks

1. Ok for what ever reason I can upload screen shots now.  But if you look at the PingPlotter shot above the first part where the line is basically straight is Idle.  The crazy looking part is saturation. 

2.  All devices are wired Cat 5e except phones, tablets.  So yes wired

3.  IPv6 is disabled. 

So just to add this in I have just reset the router to factory and downgraded the Firmware to .22.  I have been able to get the high priority to come on reqular but I cant had all the games and or ports to the list as I would like.  It says they overlap and wont add them, so I guess this is a one game at a time thing.  Finally I got the geofilter to work but I cant do as one of the articles suggest to make my PC a PS4.  If its set to PS4 I can never connect to a game.  If I keep it as PC in spectating I connect to a Peer and I guess it looks for some server in the UK..  

Ok and for your above I am attempting to attach a screen shot for idle time on twitter.com as requested.  

6.jpg

• Administrators

Which game are you playing, CoD 4 on PC?

That idle graph looks fine - you have a reasonable connection. If you set your QoS to 70/70 now and ping twitter.com, what happens?

Well I think I miss understood your above request when you said set QoS to 70/70 and test.  I did have the QoS there but the above PingPlotter was at idle with 70/70 set.  So I will attach the PingPlotter with a load on the network.  Yes the QoS seems to be working better, but I had to downgrade firmware with factory reset and if you dont get the game to trigger High Priority than QoS does NOT work.  I guess I can just limit everything and set it to Always but that kinda stinks. 

On Geo-Filter I seem to have it figured out for CoD 4 PC,  But on BFV GeoFilter shows me nothing.  I tried it with the Device set to console in traffic Priority.  I put in the BattleField Profile on GeoFilter.  Set to Spectate.  The only thing that made the traffic prority trigger was the fact that I had it in console.  I cant just put it in the Battlefield selection.  It will never trigger it so I dont get QoS unless its set to always.  In the Geo Filter it shows nothing.  I know that BFV has a selection of server in the game, but isnt the idea to see where the server is?

Well an again I cant upload my screen shot this site keeps telling me thers a problem.  Been Trying for 45 min.  Maybe I can get it tommorow.  Thanks

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for uploading that screenshot - not sure what was going on to prevent you from uploading it. Sometimes the forum software is a bit temperamental :L

Yeh with your PC set to a console the Geo-Filter should function correctly. This is a bit of a workaround at the minute, we're hoping we can implement a better way to get PC games supported in the future. Still, I'm not sure why BFV won't show you a server at all... Are you fully zoomed out on the map? Do you have Auto-Ping enabled? Are you playing BFV on the same PC as you're playing CoD on?

That Pingplotter test shows that you had a few bad spikes, and your jitter isn't looking too good. These are usually indicative of a line issue - maybe your Modem is faulty / bad, or maybe it's the same with your Ethernet cables. Could also be the wire from your cabinet to your house. As Admin said, it's a reasonable line - just not ideal. 

Thanks for the reply.  On my modem, I have put in a call to Froniter and they tell me that the network and my ONT is working as it should.  So I guess I just get what I get.  

For BFV I found my mistake in the filter section,  I did set it as console there I chose the Battlefield filter.  But I think Its working now just hope I can get it updated with a better patch than .23.  Thanks much for taking the time to read through this garble.  

• Netduma Staff
6 hours ago, JTcompute said:

Thanks for the reply.  On my modem, I have put in a call to Froniter and they tell me that the network and my ONT is working as it should.  So I guess I just get what I get.  

For BFV I found my mistake in the filter section,  I did set it as console there I chose the Battlefield filter.  But I think Its working now just hope I can get it updated with a better patch than .23.  Thanks much for taking the time to read through this garble.  

Thanks for letting us know. That sounds like a standard ISP response unfortunately - it's hard to get them to ever take action. Your line has to literally be malfunctioning half the time or they won't lift a finger.

If it's working that's fantastic, I hope it keeps on working :D bear in mind that BFV will be all over the place at the minute since it's only just launched!