Qos not working properly

anybloodyname

Guys I need help on the new duma OS, my QOS doesn't seem to work.  I have my PS4 setup as priority but when I stream video on my TV it impacts my pings, I don't think Qos is working at all.  I have it all configured but its not working or having any impact.  I set the anti buffer to 80% bandwidth up and down but no joy.  I have 36 Meg down and about 8 Up.

any ideas whats going on? I also gave my Ps4 70% bandwidth to test and again no impact, im still getting ping spikes while Netflix is on the TV.  PS4 is also set as priority under QOS also, its got a static IP and open Nat.

Any help would be really appreciated.

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, anybloodyname said:

Guys I need help on the new duma OS, my QOS doesn't seem to work.  I have my PS4 setup as priority but when I stream video on my TV it impacts my pings, I don't think Qos is working at all.  I have it all configured but its not working or having any impact.  I set the anti buffer to 80% bandwidth up and down but no joy.  I have 36 Meg down and about 8 Up.

any ideas whats going on? I also gave my Ps4 70% bandwidth to test and again no impact, im still getting ping spikes while Netflix is on the TV.  PS4 is also set as priority under QOS also, its got a static IP and open Nat.

Any help would be really appreciated.

First off, lets make sure your test conditions are correct. You wouldn't want to try and fix this issue if your tests aren't accurate to begin with!

You need to be using Pingplotter on a wired PC. If you're judging your ping / line quality in any other way then you can say goodbye to accuracy. Ping as read by your console or the game itself is extremely inaccurate and takes other factors into account.

Could you run that Pingplotter test with Twitter.com as your target URL? Run two tests - one while you're on Netflix and gaming, and one while you're just gaming. That should give you some pretty solid foundations to work from.

Hey Jack my pings are fine mate, thanks for getting back to me also, I get a steady 20 MS ping to google wired, no jitter also unless im using multiple devices.  Its literally when I have other devices in use at the same time that my performance degrades.  im getting serious jitter when my kids watch tv on the smart TV at the same time as I game.   Im quite network aware as its what I do for work but i'm really beat here, I just don't know why QOS doesn't seem to prioritise my PS4.

its like the COS isn't configured at all.  If I turn off the smart TV and just use the PS4 alone  its flawless, steady low pings on the Blops4 dedicated servers. 

I thought it was my powerline adapters but I took them out of the equation and it made no difference.

Im pretty sure QOS isn't working for some reason. The TV's seem to be using whatever bandwith they desire so causing the intermittent high ping spikes :( 

a couple of months back when I tried to game without the netduma the symptom's were exactly as they are now which brings me back to thinking that its simply not giving the PS4 priority.

thanks again for any help

• Administrators

It sounds to me most likely that you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to apply only when High Priority Traffic is detected, is that right? If so change this to always. Also under bandwidth allocation if you want to ensure a device only sticks with how much bandwidth you allocate it untick share excess for download/upload. Let us know how that works out. 

Also have you added your PS4 manually to Traffic Prioritization? If so remove it and just enable DumaOS Classified Games as it encompasses the console.

Hi Frazer that's sorted it mate, it was taking off the sharing excess that fixed it, haha the one thing I didn't try!  :-)

getting completely solid pings now with no jitter whatsoever, I don't know what to allocate the PS4 but ill probably keep it at 40% as its working perfect now.

Thanks again mate, great that you guys gave the DumaR1 users the upgrade to dumaOs on the old hardware, top guys.