Xr500 Wifi

So I finally pulled the trigger getting a bargain on the xr500 ( being impressed with the connection so far ) . The only problem I have being having so far is that I don't reach close to my connection speeds.

200Mbps down 100Mbps up where I get max 70 down and up over wifi which is disappointing considering that some users state they get 300+

It all depends on the device the wifi if connected to also the distance and the environment around the router.

If the device has a old or low end Wifi chip it might only support 100mbps also some device might only support 2.5GHz and not the 5GHz wifi.

also check anti buffer bloat .. those sliders limit the set bandwidth limits.. if you set manually 200/100 and sliders to 70% you see the bandwidth# to the right of it lowering, it will never allow full for some reason if no activity, if you set them to 100% or disable anti-bufferbloat you should get closer to what you set.

I get better speed with QoS disabled (1 gb) when QoS is on, and the sliders lower - it slows stuff down to 750/750 to make sure you never buffer bloat and there is bandwidth to spare, that's how it kinda works.  Sacrifice some of your total bandwidth for smoother network traffic ..

Although Duma there is always room to improve QoS and Bufferbloat to detect no traffic .. maybe a watchdog if total bandwidth being currently used is 75% of totals then activate QoS and bufferbloat, but I'd assume a speed test would trigger this watchdog anyway, so a catch .22

• Administrators

First step is to check your QoS settings as above.

I would also advise disabling smart connect for WiFi and connecting directly to the 5GHz and seeing if you get higher speeds (once you confirmed QoS isn't whats impacting your speeds)