XR700 Dropped Packets

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thanks for the info, hopefully a downgrade resolves it for now

12 mins on 1.0.0.2 firmware and No Packet Loss. 

image.thumb.png.d9443e5d90976cd807d2852aad9081ec.png

The other interesting thing is there's no evidence of disconnects in the logs, nor are there any of the 'no wifi metadata' errors. 

It really seems to me that the router kernel is being flooded with log errors and crashing it. I've seen it before at my job. 

I'm definitely going to stay on this firmware until you or Netgear can figure out what's going on. 

I'll also let Level 2 support know about this problem when I talk to her this week. 

Guest Killhippie
On 10/26/2018 at 2:12 PM, twalls said:

I downgraded the firmware to the last version (yeah, I lose the Hybrid VPN lol sigh...), which is really the only other version that exists, and did another factory reset. XR700 has been up for over an hour with no WAN disconnects.

Edit: Forgot one other observation. The log was getting spammed pretty bad on the latest version. I forget the exact wording, but it was something about bad metadata for DumaOS. It filled the log for page after the page, with only a little bit of other activity in bursts in between. After the downgrade, none or far fewer of those messages appear. Probably not related, but thought it was interesting to note.

My XR500 was fine for the most part, especially if I left all of the QoS and Geo-Filter settings alone. Otherwise, I had random times where the Wi-Fi or all connections would cut off until a router reboot.

What timeout and always on settings are you referring to?

I know... I usually don't get a router until it has been out for a bit. I was hoping that because this basically seems like an X10 R9000 that has been re-badged for gaming that it wouldn't be as bad. I've also had good routers where one bad update ruins it, and another update later on patches things back up. Feels like no real rhyme or reason sometimes.

Yeah, I have to say this has been a weird product launch. Netgear's product page still said "pre-order" last time I checked. However, it feels weird to think Amazon and Newegg would be doing shady deals to release a product early. I'm not talking about a random shop selling through Amazon either, I'm saying sold directly by Amazon themselves.

I'm using Charter Spectrum 400/20 (which is cable). I appreciate the suggestions. So far, a firmware downgrade is proving helpful. I'll keep these other ideas in mind if the problem returns. Thanks so much!

In router setup you have connection mode, by default it’s set to dial up and 5 mins. Set it to always on and 0 

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you using QoS at all?

Yes. Anti-Bufferbloat is set to Always with 900 dl 900 ul, sliders at 70% each, Share Excess ticked, all devices sharing equally, and traffic prioritization enabled. 

57 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay interesting, so definitely the router then. I've passed this on to a member of the XR700 team so hopefully they can look into this and find the cause. Surprising this is happening as wasn't an issue during the beta.

Thanks Fraser. I'm going to call Level 2 support on Wednesday. Hopefully the same person I've been dealing will be there to talk with about this new problem with the packet loss and has an answer for when the internal fan should run. 

All of the following issues have also been reported on Netgear support page. Also DDNS is full of bugs as I have found when testing on old or new firmware. I have been told this was not found in beta which I find weird. I have requested a copy of beta to see for myself. 

It very poor to see this on hardware that cost £500 and up to have no proper testing plus it only just been released. I expected this from but not from netdume as they created R1.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As mentioned, it did go through a lengthy beta test with real users and these issues weren't found. We didn't create the settings, we don't change anything to do with that

Ok, so what levels of testing were carried out? Also were the logs captured and reviewed? As I have spoken to three other people with the exact same issues.

1. ARP table issue

2. DDNS BUGS

3.SLOW AND UNRESPONSIVE GUI 

All of the following are In lastest release. Who is creater of firmware. 

2 hours ago, XSvirusSAFE said:

Ok, so what levels of testing were carried out? Also were the logs captured and reviewed? As I have spoken to three other people with the exact same issues.

1. ARP table issue

2. DDNS BUGS

My DDNS works fine, I used mynetgear domain.  how is your configuration?

Guest Killhippie
9 hours ago, XSvirusSAFE said:

1. ARP table issue

2. DDNS BUGS

Its a sandwich of Netgear's base level firmware and DumaOS from Netduma. The router is actually a X10 (R9000) with a new body shell and DumaOS added so bugs inherited in Netgear's side comes from both sides at times. Netgear don't always make good firmware updates alas, but do make good hardware. Netduma do both with the R1 and have more creative control really as I see it..

• Administrators

Hippie has answered your questions above. I am surprised you're getting a slow and responsive UI though, especially on this hardware. If you clear your browser/cache and allow it to cache fresh does that speed it up. Regardless I've provided this topic to an XR700 team member to look at.

I may have been wrong about the XR700 giving me packet loss. I ran another ping plotter from my pc through only my FIos G1100 gateway to Twitter.com and the results are the same as my test with the XR700 on firmware 1.0.0.2. Getting packet loss at the last hop, but this time it's not showing where the packet loss is coming from or least I can't see where it's coming from. Maybe someone else can download the file and look for me. 

I'm going to test another ethernet cable, then contact Verizon if the cables aren't the problem. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.a07162406728cb5747d171e56e9d04c3.JPG

Fios G1100 from HTPC 103018 www.twitter.com.pp2

So FWIW, my original issue of the WAN interface going up and down periodically, which led to packet loss, has yet to happen since going to the previous firmware version. No issues with wireless or wired connections cutting out either. I'm now using all of the QoS and geo-filter features, and everything is working great.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, FQs19 said:

You can see the fan through the top cover. Just haven't seen it run yet. 

I did some more research on this, and I was pleasantly surprised to see mention of the following in some R9000 threads:

http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm

This lists current temperatures and shows a chart for when the fan should turn on for various component temperatures. There's other cool stuff like number of sessions, the wlan driver version, packet capture, wan port mirroring (think IDS like Snort), telnet, etc.

Personally, unless instructed to do so by Netduma or Netgear support, I would NOT change anything on here.

Edited by twalls

55 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thats interesting FQs, I'd suggest contacting your ISP to see if they can get that resolved and then trying again on the XR700 once you've confirmed the ISP has fixed the issue. 

Great to hear that Twalls!

It appears that the site I was pinging, www.twitter.com, was part of the issue. 

This is a ping to my Fios gateway and verizon.com at the same time using PC > XR700 > Fios G1100 > internet

image.thumb.png.71030121c7bd73f7ffa6565cb2afab9e.png

image.thumb.png.455a0e58ed85adf7da31105b1f012ad8.png

So I'm not showing any packet loss to Verizon.com but I'm seeing packet loss to the XR700. 

No idea what's happening. And I don't have the time to continue troubleshooting this. I may just return the router until I can confirm that my ISP or cables aren't the problem. 

40 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't see any packet loss on that plot. The mini spikes however are concerning. Are you utilising any features on the LAN such as using a hard drive etc

I meant that .1% packet loss at the XR700 that doesn't show up at the destination. 

I am not using any hard drives attached to the router. No usb cable is attached to it. Only using 4 ethernet ports: pc, xbox, ps4, and nvidia shield. 

Nothing was running except my pc. 

I have everything in USB and ReadySHARE storage disabled. 

No portforwarding. UPnP enabled. Not using Plex server on it. 

Ethernet Port aggregation is disabled.

QoS enabled Always with 900dl/900ul, sliders at 70%, share excess ticked, running the original firmware 1.0.0.2.

Just seeing a bunch of these in the logs:

[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 10.0.0.102 11 10., Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:27:07
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 10.0.0.102 11 10., Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:26:07
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 10.0.0.102 11 10., Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:25:07
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 10.0.0.102 11 10., Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:23:49
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 10.0.0.102 11 10., Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:23:07
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 10.0.0.102 11 10., Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:22:07
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 10.0.0.102 11 10., Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:21:07

10.0.0.102 is my nvidia shield, btw. 

Edited by FQs19
add last line

In my experience v1.0.1.2 has issues resulting in WAN connection going up/down. Downgrading to v1.0.0.20 works fine, less new hybrid vpn and known issues with older version. 

Waiting for newer version to move forward.  WAN would stop for couple secs then come back. It shows up in log. Casual user may just notice a hesitation to a command every now and then, gaming is a killed.