X10, XR500 or something else to upgrade from Asus N66U?

Hello!
First post here. :)
I own the Asus N66u running Merlin firmware. I have x-finity 1Gigabit service and feel I can be doing better in terms of speed and coverage. Also would love to be able to select more channels in 5Ghz as I see lots of networks using the same channels I have while my phone app tells me about very clean channels I could be using yet my router gives me no access to those.
Anyways, I do some gaming (wired to my main PC not wireless), and just have the usual phones, tablets, down stairs PC with an AC network adapter.
I am planning to do a small server to host movies and maybe back up photo files there as well so a great speed for file transfers would be nice to have. Of course I will likely need to get a better wireless adapter for my downstairs HTPC or maybe I can find a faster AC network adapter than the one I have and same thing for the server I will have downstairs.
A local is selling a brand new X10 and asking $300 for it with 4 year square trade warranty. I can probably get it for a bit less too. So I am not sure if that is a good option or if I am better off with the newer xr500.

Thanks!!

You might see if your local store has a refund policy and try out each of the models. I tried the R9000. Nice router, a bit much for what it offers and some of the high end wifi isn't prominent yet on customer client side devices. It has a 10Gb connection for only LAN side NAS or switches. Also supports 160Mhz wifi 3x3 as well which again, not really prominent on devices yet. The R9000 also has good 3rd party FW updates by Voxel which is doing a good job on keep back end FW packages up today and working well. 

If you have  Costco access you can get the XR450 there, Same HW and features accept for the 2.4ghz radio, connection rates are lower than the XR500 and thats all and it's $100 cheaper than the 500. I bought the 450. I get 800-900Mb wired speeds on my 1Gb ISP service. 

You should try both if you can and see for your self what suites you best.

• Administrators

Hi Gabriel - welcome to the forum! 

All of the hardware should be sufficient for what you are trying to do, so it comes down to whether you will benefit from the DumaOS software. This page gives a nice overview of the main features of DumaOS, which is on the XR500: https://netduma.com/features/

You may also be interested in the new XR700, which also contains DumaOS but on even beefier hardware: https://www.netgear.com/npg/xr700/

We also have a big roadmap of new features coming for DumaOS, so it is the only router of your three where you will see rapid improvement.

Which games do you like playing by the way? 

30 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi Gabriel - welcome to the forum! 

All of the hardware should be sufficient for what you are trying to do, so it comes down to whether you will benefit from the DumaOS software. This page gives a nice overview of the main features of DumaOS, which is on the XR500: https://netduma.com/features/

You may also be interested in the new XR700, which also contains DumaOS but on even beefier hardware: https://www.netgear.com/npg/xr700/

We also have a big roadmap of new features coming for DumaOS, so it is the only router of your three where you will see rapid improvement.

Which games do you like playing by the way? 

Well honestly as far as games, I have been "retired" for a long time but just back into it thanks to Oculus Rift. So not really doing anything competitive but I may jump back into COD4 if people still play that game or Battlefield. lol
I do have issues at home sometimes where my network seems to make my phones lag randomly so I am not sure if its due to other networks around or just the way the Asus router handles the wireless connections to all my different devices so I figured a newer router would be nice.
Do both 500 and x10 allow for those extended channels for 5Ghz?

Thanks!!!

PS another thing that was making me want the X10 first was the 7200 vs 2600 rating but maybe I am putting too much weight into that???

The XR and R9000 have normal standard channels. DFS channels isn't available in the USA. 

The XR 450 and 500 are dual band routers. the X10 is Tri band. 3 radios. 1x 2.4Ghz and 2x5ghz.

I would get a router that best suites your needs and affordability. Again, you might try them out one at a time to see what best fits your needs and to your liking. 

I've tested the XR450 and a EX7700 extender in my home. Great coverage and performances. Seem to be a great match. 

48 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

The XR and R9000 have normal standard channels. DFS channels isn't available in the USA. 

The XR 450 and 500 are dual band routers. the X10 is Tri band. 3 radios. 1x 2.4Ghz and 2x5ghz.

I would get a router that best suites your needs and affordability. Again, you might try them out one at a time to see what best fits your needs and to your liking. 

I've tested the XR450 and a EX7700 extender in my home. Great coverage and performances. Seem to be a great match. 

I found the xr500 at my local Best Buy so gonna try that.
I guess the only thing that seems to be much better on the X10 is File Performance at least based on this review:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8623/netgear-nighthawk-xr500-gaming-router-review/index5.html

The X10 performs much better at that.

1 minute ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Let us know what you think. 

Well depends on how you do file performances and what you have connected too. Switches are great for this. 

Will do.

I was looking into custom firmware for the X10 to see if I get some of the stuff the xr500 may have stock that the X10 does not to make a call on the X10 since I am not finding it from any vendor here so I would have to order that one online instead.

Thanks