Trace to EA

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! Your line isn't ideal - you're getting quite a few spikes considering this is over a 10 minute period, though it looks like your target URL might not be too reliable. Try pinging Twitter.com instead - the host you're pinging is likely skewing these results negatively.

You're also getting a bit of packet loss. The last hop (hope 9) is really all you need to pay attention to for packet loss - you're getting 1.2% loss there. Make sure you're testing using a wired PC and definitely change the target URL and see if that still occurs. Also make sure to set the Interval (at the top of Pingplotter) to 2.5 seconds.

Your line isn't too unstable though - your base jitter isn't looking bad, so if we find out where those spikes are coming from you should have a good line to play on :)

Hi Jack! Thanks for replying.

The test was done with a laptop wired directly to my modem and the interval setting in Pingplotter was at 2.5 sec. Should I run the test with the Netduma instead?

I’ll test with Twitter.com from here on out.

Thanks again!

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, Pinpon said:

Hi Jack! Thanks for replying.

The test was done with a laptop wired directly to my modem and the interval setting in Pingplotter was at 2.5 sec. Should I run the test with the Netduma instead?

I’ll test with Twitter.com from here on out.

Thanks again!

That test setup seems perfect. You don't necessarily need to test with the R1 connected - it's extremely rare for issues like spikes / packet loss to be caused by the router. Testing through the R1 might be a good way to test out another Ethernet cable though (since there'll be two cables in the setup) but that's about it.

Keep us posted if you run another test :D

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

That test setup seems perfect. You don't necessarily need to test with the R1 connected - it's extremely rare for issues like spikes / packet loss to be caused by the router. Testing through the R1 might be a good way to test out another Ethernet cable though (since there'll be two cables in the setup) but that's about it.

Keep us posted if you run another test :D

Here’s another test, but this time to Twitter.com.

32D82081-4E44-42D2-9023-D25B80257B55.jpeg

• Administrators

That's a lot of spikes. Could you also try a target of 8.8.8.8?

Is this test done via wired or wireless?

Do you have a lot of devices using your bandwidth when doing this test?

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

That's a lot of spikes. Could you also try a target of 8.8.8.8?

Is this test done via wired or wireless?

Do you have a lot of devices using your bandwidth when doing this test?

That test was done via a wired connection. I now have a router installed and there was 1 device using WiFi (Apple Music) when the test was in process.

I will run another test to 8.8.8.8 now. To avoid any device from messing with my results, I have removed the router and wired my laptop to the modem.

Thanks for the help!

2574990E-C467-43A9-91BE-64D568EC13B4.jpeg

Edited by Pinpon
Added results of new host

• Netduma Staff

It's clear from these results that you're getting bad spikes originating upstream on your connection. Consider every hop a potential culprit in this. Going upstream, it could be either one of these:

1: Your Ethernet cable between the Modem and the Netduma

2: Your Modem (it could be faulty, or have a Puma 6 chip which is renowned to cause ping spikes)

3: Your line to your Modem from the box in the street

4: Your line from the box in the street to your local exchange

As you can tell, the only ones fully in your control are your Ethernet cables and your Modem. People have had success replacing one or both of these, finding that all their issues are resolved by that. It's risky though since you might end up spending cash just for the issue to remain.

What I would recommend is gathering a couple more tests at different times of day, and organise them all in a folder. Then call your ISP and raise the issue with them - say there's something wrong with your line, detail the tests you've run if they ask for it and see what they say.

Most ISP's won't hesitate to send out an engineer since that's part of the service you pay for. The engineer will usually get the issue completely, and you could end up with a brand new line installed to your house :) 

I hope this helps! (Oh, and make sure not to test using the Netduma or even mention a second router. ISP's are quick to blame any equipment other than their own!)