Smart tv problem :(

Hi guys , I have a problem with my Samsung tv  and the X-R 500 , and it’s really annoying ! 

Everytime I put the tv into standby , after a while the router sets it to offline and the only way to get a connection again is to reboot the router , which is three floors downstairs, and I have a fractured spine so this isn’t ideal for me

i already gave the tv a static ip , and manually entered the ip address , subnet , gateway and dns server to the tv network settings 

please can you give me some advice and help with this situation ?

cheers .. 👍

• Administrators

Hi, sorry to hear you're having this issue. What XR500 firmware version are you on currently? It seems like it's having trouble connecting after wake which the latest firmware should help with. I assume it's connecting via WiFi? If so disable Smart Connect and make sure you're connecting directly to 2.4GHz or 5GHz. When you turn the TV on and this issue has occurred are you able to re-establish a connection by running a connection test/reconnecting to the WiFi on the TV?

Fraser thank you ,

I forgot to say I was connect via lan cable , assuming this would be the best method , I’ll give it some testing on the WiFi and see if this sorts the problem , current firmware is v2.3.2.32

Guest Killhippie
11 hours ago, alanakko said:

Hi guys , I have a problem with my Samsung tv  and the X-R 500 , and it’s really annoying ! 

Everytime I put the tv into standby , after a while the router sets it to offline and the only way to get a connection again is to reboot the router , which is three floors downstairs, and I have a fractured spine so this isn’t ideal for me

i already gave the tv a static ip , and manually entered the ip address , subnet , gateway and dns server to the tv network settings 

please can you give me some advice and help with this situation ?

cheers .. 👍

I used my TV with a switch the Netgear S8000, many TV's have slow ports generally 100Mbps not usually 1GB. It might be the TV in standby turns off the Ethernet port. Although the router will always put things into offline when they are off, but normally TV's wake to check for updated apps etc over the night so the port should come back to life, the router cant turn it off permanently either. Look in the settings in power management or whatever its called on your TV to see if thats happening.

I now use wifi as my Sony AF8 is 802.11ac which is faster than the Ethernet port and it works really well, stays connected, and streams 4K happily. I would try using DHCP reservation on the XR500 rather than the TV for a static IP, see how that works as the TV will always get the same IP still, mine did not loose connection using that method when I had Ethernet wired up to it. I am in a wheelchair with Osteoporosis and my spine is crumbling away badly so I understand your frustration with movement issues. As I mentioned the TV could be set to some sort of low power state, worth checking that out and turning that off although it should wake and still find a connection.

How long is the Ethernet cable by the way? Having a powered switch like the S8000 at the TV end may be the way to keep things alive if WiFi does not work depending on distance, you can always try one out and if it does not work send it back, just a thought.

• 5 months later...

Ok so an update to this , I never really managed to solve this problem until I read about changing the setting from dial up to always on connection , a really simple setting I missed that had me annoyed for so long !

all is perfect now , so hopefully this helps if somebody has the same issues

thanks ... 👍

• Netduma Staff
14 minutes ago, alanakko said:

Ok so an update to this , I never really managed to solve this problem until I read about changing the setting from dial up to always on connection , a really simple setting I missed that had me annoyed for so long !

all is perfect now , so hopefully this helps if somebody has the same issues

thanks ... 👍

Huh, that's useful! I'm glad you found that setting, that's awesome - thank you for telling us how you solved it.

Enjoy your gaming :)