TalkTalk setup with R1 help (no WAN IP)

Hi, I went live with TalkTalk fibre today and I've noticed something strange after setting up the modem. 

When I was with BT, I could set up into PPPoE mode or bridge mode. The former would make the router act as a router, I'd need to DMZ the R1 and I'd get the blue pop up on the R1 regarding "detecting another router" which was fine, while the latter was the cleanest setup and all I'd have to do was enable PPPoE on the R1 instead. Of course there's no double NAT or need to DMZ that way. 

On TalkTalk if I set up in IPoE mode, I get online through the R1 but there's no WAN IP on the R1 so I can't DMZ it (there's still a blue pop up). If I go into bridge mode there's no connection whatsoever, and of course there's still no WAN IP. On BT PPPoE mode would give my R1 the private WAN IP of 192.168.1.64, while bridge mode would give it the public WAN IP my modem normally handles if it's in combo mode. Since I'm using IPoE and not PPPoE there's no need for a username or password, meaning the PPPoE function on the R1 is redundant. 

Does anyone else out there on TalkTalk know how to use bridge mode. Do I still need some kind of username and password for the PPPoE tab, with it just acting as an alternative to PPPoE? I'm a bit stumped with this. I assumed that since there's no "log in" needed it would be more like using bridge mode on Virgin Media, which was a breeze as you'd simply turn it on and get a modem connection to the R1 as I did back in 2016.

Suggestions would be welcomed. I would prefer to use modem mode with the R1 handling everything past that of course. Thanks. 

Mate I'm struggling with the same myself I'm also on talktalk fibre 

I've heard there no modem mode in the talktalk router 

And talktalk will not provide a password for the connection as they say its dynamic and its automatic regardless what you connect to 

I purchased a BT modem which I connect the r1to

If you get nay success please do let me no I'm in the same boat mate any help would be greatly praised 

2 minutes ago, Kingcomic7 said:

Zennon Hg612 modem which settings do you have and are there any settings which can better the connection I have the flashed version and normal one

Any advice would be welcome thanks 

You do not need to change a thing in the HG612, leave all as default and connect it to your R1 that is it :)

3 hours ago, Zennon said:

What modem are you using? the HG612 if so plug and play no authentication.

If you are talking about the TT router I would not use that and stick with your HG612 > R1

I haven't used the HG612 for a while. The W9970 seems to give me a more stable line, it's faster to reboot if needed and I can access the GUI from anywhere. It has an auto setup option for TalkTalk VDSL which changes to IPoE and I know people on the TalkTalk forum use them - I just can't find the exact setup steps. TalkTalk only have a guide for ADSL when using other equipment. 

I can get online in IPoE mode but I need to know if something else needs doing (like typing a username and password into the PPPoE section on the R1 WAN tab regardless), and of course I need to know the WAN IP if I'm not able to use bridge mode. It obviously works; I just need to find these apparently missing steps 😕

3 hours ago, Kingcomic7 said:

Mate I'm struggling with the same myself I'm also on talktalk fibre 

I've heard there no modem mode in the talktalk router 

And talktalk will not provide a password for the connection as they say its dynamic and its automatic regardless what you connect to 

I purchased a BT modem which I connect the r1to

If you get nay success please do let me no I'm in the same boat mate any help would be greatly praised 

If I find anything that works I'll let you know mate 👍

36 minutes ago, lllRL said:

I haven't used the HG612 for a while. The W9970 seems to give me a more stable line, it's faster to reboot if needed and I can access the GUI from anywhere. It has an auto setup option for TalkTalk VDSL which changes to IPoE and I know people on the TalkTalk forum use them - I just can't find the exact setup steps. TalkTalk only have a guide for ADSL when using other equipment. 

I can get online in IPoE mode but I need to know if something else needs doing (like typing a username and password into the PPPoE section on the R1 WAN tab regardless), and of course I need to know the WAN IP if I'm not able to use bridge mode. It obviously works; I just need to find these apparently missing steps 😕

Ah I see, you do not need a user name or PPPoE.

Here are the settings

Type: VDSL over PTM

Encapsulation: IPoE

NO username or password required

VLAN

802.1p:  0

802.1q:  101

MTU Size:  1500

1 hour ago, Zennon said:

Ah I see, you do not need a user name or PPPoE.

Here are the settings

Type: VDSL over PTM

Encapsulation: IPoE

NO username or password required

VLAN

802.1p:  0

802.1q:  101

MTU Size:  1500

Yeah I thought it was odd. Some forum posts mentioned using a username of >your landline number<@talktalk.net with no password. Either way bridge mode just wouldn't give me a connection on the R1.

I just said F it, plugged the TT Hub in and left it because it's a mess and needs stabilising anyway. 16ms minimum latency (up from 6) with spikes up to 70ms on the R1 diagnostic test, and bandwidth is less than my guaranteed minimum. Meh. 

Screenshot_20180918-215544.png

It was a one off to be fair. Several more tests have shown between 14.7-15.3ms. I'd love to know how long I'm supposed to be on interleaving though. 

In regular IPoE mode I now get a WAN IP on the R1 so I can DMZ it, but I can't find anything about using a modem only or bridge mode on a combo. 

4 hours ago, Zennon said:

Up to 9 days before DLM will change so do not change anything if you can.

My ping is 16ms on fast path because of where I am based and it’s fine.

Yeah I know location is a factor. It's just that I was on 6-8ms on BT and I know interleaving adds increments of 8ms (I believe), which is what I saw a couple of months ago when I had a line issue and my Smart Hub got stuck in a reboot loop.

The TT Hub doesn't show a fast path or interleaving status in its stats, so I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. 

I spoke to the TT Twitter folks and they said if I still can't reach the minimum guaranteed download speed I should contact them. Is it normal for that to increase to normal in this 9 day period? 

Edit: okay now I'm just lost for words... 

Screenshot_20180919-221646.png

That didn't take long lol. Bandwidth has actually increased above my guaranteed minimum now, although it's still slightly lower than the estimated range. I daresay getting a modem or combo with bridge mode enabled into the mix would lower latency further as it did with BT too. In fact I only saw 6ms and low 7s when taking the second "router" out of the equation on BT. Maybe I'll even see my first 5s if I can just figure out how to get a modem only + R1 setup working lol

_20180920_054259.JPG

Screenshot_20180920-054145.png

PS_Messages_20180920_053906.jpg

You must have still been in the no DLM 48H period from activation for it to change so quick.

People and some ISP 's still claim the 10 day period but its not true on fibre, it is 48h no DLM then DLM there after.

It is great now, if it was me it would be set forget and enjoy gaming for now on in :)

Not sure what that means but I'll take it lol. Was that a brief period of interleaving then while it figured out "what's what"? I always thought it was a gradual thing where the ISP leaves it to settle down and ensure there's no fault before allowing the DLM or whatever to switch back. When I had that fault on BT that stole half my bandwidth, I was taken off interleaving as soon as I was back online. I was expecting it to go on for a few weeks as it "recovered" I guess haha

I think I read that the 10 day thing only applies to ADSL? 

1 minute ago, lllRL said:

Not sure what that means but I'll take it lol.

Early morning posting, yeah it doesn't make make much sense lol.

What I meant to say was DLM is not live on new activations until 48 hours are up, so you did have interleaving set because of the flaky rubbish TT hub then fast path has been applied quickly after changing to a good modem/router because the normal DLM time limits were not in place.

2 hours ago, Zennon said:

Early morning posting, yeah it doesn't make make much sense lol.

What I meant to say was DLM is not live on new activations until 48 hours are up, so you did have interleaving set because of the flaky rubbish TT hub then fast path has been applied quickly after changing to a good modem/router because the normal DLM time limits were not in place.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying 😆 well either way at least it didn't last long and it's looking normal. I shouldn't need to contact them now my download is basically up to the max my line can handle and it's cleared the minimum guaranteed figure 👍