USB drive weird bug

Hey NetDuma team,

I have the XR500 running V2.3.2.22. 

1. I connected a USB drive (formatted for Mac) that was working fine with my Mac (used it seconds before plugging it in. 

2. I was able to share the drive on the network, use it to copy/remove files from it. Great. 

3. I plugged it back into the Mac. Not great, can't do anything with it  - can't do repair, format, nothing. Even booting the mac into recovery mode. The drive is gone. I don't see the partitions, but I do see the disk in Disk Utility. 

however..

4. I plugged it back into the XR500 and it still works as it did before. 

Note: I always did the safe remove from the ReadySHARE screen. Screen gives an error every other time. 

So somehow there is a "lock" on the drive from the router where it works fine but it won't work from my laptop and I can't see to get rid of it. 

Any idea?! Would love to get my drive back : ) 

Thanks! 

Guest Killhippie

Hey NetDuma team,

I have the XR500 running V2.3.2.22. 

1. I connected a USB drive (formatted for Mac) that was working fine with my Mac (used it seconds before plugging it in. 

2. I was able to share the drive on the network, use it to copy/remove files from it. Great. 

3. I plugged it back into the Mac. Not great, can't do anything with it  - can't do repair, format, nothing. Even booting the mac into recovery mode. The drive is gone. I don't see the partitions, but I do see the disk in Disk Utility. 

however..

4. I plugged it back into the XR500 and it still works as it did before. 

Note: I always did the safe remove from the ReadySHARE screen. Screen gives an error every other time. 

So somehow there is a "lock" on the drive from the router where it works fine but it won't work from my laptop and I can't see to get rid of it. 

Any idea?! Would love to get my drive back : ) 

Thanks! 

Was it formatted in HFS+ or APFS? If you formatted it to APFS it is not supported so it may have corrupted the USB drive.   https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router

Was it formatted in HFS+ or APFS? If you formatted it to APFS it is not supported so it may have corrupted the USB drive.   https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router

APFS. What's funny is that I can read files from the disk through the XR500 but if I plug the disk into my laptop, it's no longer recognized as valid by the OSX. 

Guest Killhippie

APFS. What's funny is that I can read files from the disk through the XR500 but if I plug the disk into my laptop, it's no longer recognized as valid by the OSX. 

Its corrupted I think, you will have to boot into recovery mode on your mac and try to repair it that way. If not it will need erasing and formatting as HFS+.  With High Sierra Apple did say to keep USB drives and Time machine backups as HFS+ for this very reason, as not many other vendors systems read APFS yet. Thats why its not listed in the compatibility chart alas.

Its corrupted I think, you will have to boot into recovery mode on your mac and try to repair it that way. If not it will need erasing and formatting as HFS+.  With High Sierra Apple did say to keep USB drives and Time machine backups as HFS+ for this very reason, as not many other vendors systems read APFS yet. Thats why its not listed in the compatibility chart alas.

Sorry, I lied. It's Mac OS Extended aka HFS+. 

post-31055-0-95282100-1531217793_thumb.png

Guest Killhippie

Sorry, I lied. It's Mac OS Extended aka HFS+. 

Odd the router supports HFS+ the fact your Mac has issues with it now does sound like its got corrupted somehow. I would try booting into recovery mode and running a repair on that USB drive and see what happens. Did you log in to the router and safely eject it?

Guest Killhippie

Agree. I did try to eject it using the GUI, didn't help. Tried running a repair in recovery mode and I get "error 8". 

So the router would not safely eject the drive, what size is it? Sounds like a bug indeed, what happened when you tried to eject it, did you get any messages? By pulling the drive out you may have corrupted it which is a vicious circle as ejecting it didn't work. Did you factory reset the router after the recent firmware update? That error code means you need to reformat the drive I believe. :(

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6834609

I can't even get my drive to display on my network. It is formatted as NTFS and the XR500 recognises it but when i check my network drives there is nothing there except for XR500 and when I click on it I get directed to my router screen.

• Administrators

I can't even get my drive to display on my network. It is formatted as NTFS and the XR500 recognises it but when i check my network drives there is nothing there except for XR500 and when I click on it I get directed to my router screen.

Recommend calling NG support see what they say as I'm not familar with the feature