Nighthawk XR500 DNSMASQ

Is there a place in this router for DNSMASQ configuration?

Or, maybe someone has other advice on how to get this to work.

I setup a Raspberry Pi with PiHole, and the instructions seem to indicate the best way to configure it so that I get individual host reporting is to:  "Advertise Pi-hole’s IP address via dnsmasq in the router (if supported)"

I don't see this anywhere in the DumaOS.

When I tried simply putting in the DNS address of the PiHole in the Router config, it worked but it only reports the routers IP instead of individual device IP's in the logs. Which I suppose makes sense given that method is listed as having these two caveats, which I don't particularly want:

Caveats

1. Per-host tracking on Pi-hole (i.e. logging of DNS requests tied to individual machines by their respective hostnames) will be unavailable unless you use the hosts file on Pi-hole 913 (all requests will show as originating from the router itself).
  2. The ability to resolve hostnames on the LAN. For example, connecting to a machine behind the router by its hostname will not work.

View the full article

• 1 year later...

Um. Maybe worked in early 2018, but now -- v2.3.2.40 -- the "WAN Setup" page is the only place to define any WAN settings and ... of COURSE ... it's NOT on the page. The only place for DNS info is in the so-called "Internet setup" page. (Really?) (btw - that's where my pihole ip is defined) The "Lan Setup" doesn't have anything for DNS. Just DHCP stuff that doesn't really play well with the rest of the features of the OS. It's sad.

oh. related post: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/27818-using-separate-dhcpdns-server-getting-unnamed-device-in-device-manager/

• Administrators
On 6/21/2019 at 2:22 AM, display name said:

Um. Maybe worked in early 2018, but now -- v2.3.2.40 -- the "WAN Setup" page is the only place to define any WAN settings and ... of COURSE ... it's NOT on the page. The only place for DNS info is in the so-called "Internet setup" page. (Really?) (btw - that's where my pihole ip is defined) The "Lan Setup" doesn't have anything for DNS. Just DHCP stuff that doesn't really play well with the rest of the features of the OS. It's sad.

oh. related post: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/27818-using-separate-dhcpdns-server-getting-unnamed-device-in-device-manager/

Are you requesting that there be further DNS options for LAN devices? Mostly this is done on the for WAN which Internet Setup counts as. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes -- that's what this thread is about -- "DNSMASQ".

I was commenting on the previous post that suggested DNS setting were in the LAN scope.

btw - I've also tried running DHCP on the same server as the DNS and DumaOS immediately got confused about the network map, didn't show online devices, and several other symptoms that have all been previously reported by the community. I'd suggest any new firmware release might want to have some tests for a LAN side DNS and DHCP configuration.