Bandwidth limit a device?

Hi all,

Recently got a XR500 and was wondering if there was a way to bandwidth limit a device? I see you can guarantee a minimum amount in QoS but can’t see a way to limit a device to say 10Mb/s. Could of missed it though.

• Administrators

Hi Jon, welcome to the forum! 

On Bandwidth Allocation click on the device list and then you can give a specific amount of bandwidth to that device. Then untick share excess from the bandwidth allocations 3 line menu to ensure it can't go above that amount.

Thank you for the quick reply Fraser, will give that a try later on. I’d seen the share excess mentioned in forum posts, but wasn’t sure if it was a global setting or one you could set for individual devices.

• Administrators

Thank you for the quick reply Fraser, will give that a try later on. I’d seen the share excess mentioned in forum posts, but wasn’t sure if it was a global setting or one you could set for individual devices.

It is a global option so make sure you ensure the others have enough bandwidth as well.

Ah ok. Is there likely to be way of limiting individual devices whilst still being able to share excess with those that aren’t limited, in a future update? Not sure if it’s possible though?

• Administrators

Ah ok. Is there likely to be way of limiting individual devices whilst still being able to share excess with those that aren’t limited, in a future update? Not sure if it’s possible though?

Yes that is something we could possibly do I think, that will be a little down the line though!

Yes that is something we could possibly do I think, that will be a little down the line though!

Is this a thing on the R1 currently? I could have sworn you can allocate a minimum while still leaving the share excess on lol. 

• Administrators

Is this a thing on the R1 currently? I could have sworn you can allocate a minimum while still leaving the share excess on lol. 

You can do that but it can go over the limit you set when share excess is on if other devices don't need bandwidth but that device does

You can do that but it can go over the limit you set when share excess is on if other devices don't need bandwidth but that device does

Ahhhh. I honestly didn't know that, thanks for the info! I should probably bust out my Duma so i can play with it some more now that i have more free time.