What can this router handle???

LoadedMoses

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade from my current setup and looking for an easy process and happened to stumbled across the Netduma R1 and the XR500 I would like to know how well the XR500 and or the Netduma R1 can handle a large network of at least 20 - 30 devices (large family) connected at any given time i.e preforming normal internet browsing/youtube, heavy gaming on multiple systems PS4, Xbox 1 and PC, and devices streaming netflix on possibly 3 devices at once.  also how well can they handle multiple consoles at the same time this can consist of 3 PS4 playing the same game like a lan party or each person playing a different game.  Basically I'd like to know if these routers can handle my larger than normal network needs.  what I currently have setup is a Pfsense firewall router on a custom built computer and a 250Mbs/10Mbs connection and rely on solid performance in the QoS/traffic shaping side of things its been years since I have personally owned normal consumer grade routers because they can not handle the work load 

and due to Pfsense forcing me to upgrade my hardware soon the XR500 and R1 are in the price range of what I am looking to spend and could possibly be a great solution than dealing with building a new pc router.

any info would be greatly appreciated. 

I have the XR500 and have owned it for the past 4 days, I currently have 17 devices connected to it and I am a huge gamer and it does a fantastic job.  The R1 handled the same traffic and did it just as good but the XR500 has far more processing power and ram inside not to mention the 5ghz wifi which the R1 lacks but which I wasn't concerned about as I had an AP connected to handle all that.

So if I was  you I would go for the XR500 but that is solely my choice.

B.D

Awesome!  thank you for the input glad it is working out for you.  all the stuff I have seen in my research were networks with just a small hand full of devices connected and no coverage of the multi tasking/ work load of the router and how it can handle it.  I do have a few AP's so wifi isn't really a concern however is nice to have options if you need it lol.  your reply helps lean the decision towards the XR500

thanks again     

• Netduma Staff

Awesome!  thank you for the input glad it is working out for you.  all the stuff I have seen in my research were networks with just a small hand full of devices connected and no coverage of the multi tasking/ work load of the router and how it can handle it.  I do have a few AP's so wifi isn't really a concern however is nice to have options if you need it lol.  your reply helps lean the decision towards the XR500

thanks again     

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Big Dog - for that many devices you should definitely consider the better hardware. We've had plenty of R1 users with 20+ devices on their network so it's definitely workable, but it'd be a lot less hassle with the XR500. Superior UPnP will mean you should get an open NAT on all your consoles immediately too, which can be tricky on the R1.

Either way, let us know what you decide. Welcome to the Netduma community :)

Thank you Netduma Jack I'm happy to have joined this forum.  I will definitely let you know what I decide to do and most likely will be going with the XR500 with a little more research.  I am very happy to see a router with actual software that works and doesn't require a networking degree to keep things running smoothly/correctly lol.

Thanks again for your time the info