vpn coding

Hello,

I have had my netduma for half a year or so almost. I still do not think I have it optimally set up.

My set up is through my ISP (centurylink) c2000T router which I have the netduma hooked up to.

I followed all previous advice to my questions and followed optimal set up guide, everything that was connected to wifi and hardwired is through the netuma not my isp router.

I set in DMZ mode and turned wifi off on my ISP router.

Yet I have since still felt that the duma has made my connections worse. Recently it has gotten very bad, my parents were in town visiting and my mother was complaining the wifi kept dropping. Also, I have been playing elder scrolls online and, whoa boy, the latency is bad. the past two days i literally had the whole pvp world freeze on me and I get booted from server (never happened prior to duma). Lastly, my computer has been all hosed up when I try to watch videos and or download a well as my tv when I stream netflix.

My TV, Dishnetwork, and PS4 are all hardwired to netduma with cat6 cables, only my computer is wifi.

It's almost to the point where id rather switch back to not using the netduma and see if it improves, but then I would have to reprogram all my devices and passwords (laziness) lol.

I started wondering if maybe someone recently started jacking my internet because it has gotten so bad lately. I do not think I have any protection because my ISP router is disabled and in dmz. If you go to connect to my wifi it literally says weak security under netduma r1. 

I logged into the control panel and clicked vpn. I do not have a vpn subscription and have never to my knowledge set one up, yet in the advanced vpn settings box there is a massive code with all different country and city names etc.

I disabled it because i didnt know what or why its there and now it wont connect back up if I try.

Well, sorry for my ramble. Does anyone have some thoughts? TY

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! So lets try to solve these issues one at a time.

For your WiFi dropping out I'd highly recommend checking out this guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022405-why-does-the-netduma-wifi-keep-dropping-out-. You could try using a different, less congested channel and various other solutions. Please let me know if this guide helps with that issue.

Elder Scrolls Online is not supported by the Geo-Filter, so you should definitely not have your PC enabled on the Host Filtering page when you play that game. With the Geo-Filter disabled, the Netduma R1 acts like a normal router. It's likely that your Congestion Control settings are not properly configured to deal with local congestion, causing your gameplay to suffer. Try these settings:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% anti-flood
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply

This will prevent local downloads / streams etc from causing lag in-game. If the issues persist I'd recommend running an Internet Diagnostics test on the Netduma to see how your line stats are. If you have bad spikes / jitter / packet loss / high base ping then this will be the cause. It's possible that something has changed on your line / with your ISP service / with your equipment to cause these issues.

Make sure everything is disabled on the VPN page if you aren't using it - I believe it comes with a 'config file' in there by default which you have described. Don't worry too much about that - just make sure there are no green 'ticks' next to your devices on that page.

Please let us know how you get on and if this was useful :)

• 2 months later...

Netduma Jack,

Thank you for the reply. Since your post not a lot has improved.

I only ever used the geo-filter when playing COD otherwise I always turn it off and set my anti-flood back to 100% when I am not gaming. I have a 25mbps dsl service and have had all those setting that you recommended already set.

I have not tried to do anything since your post either. The one thing I noticed the day off my post and now it is still like that, is the geo filter tab wont even load?! it just scrolls but never actually loads. All other tabs work normally.....so basically I cannot even access my geo filter at all. It was off before it started malfunctioning. 

My last isp diagnostic on netduma came back as good.

Any recommendations on how to fix the geo filter not being available?

Thanks as always

• Netduma Staff

Netduma Jack,

Thank you for the reply. Since your post not a lot has improved.

I only ever used the geo-filter when playing COD otherwise I always turn it off and set my anti-flood back to 100% when I am not gaming. I have a 25mbps dsl service and have had all those setting that you recommended already set.

I have not tried to do anything since your post either. The one thing I noticed the day off my post and now it is still like that, is the geo filter tab wont even load?! it just scrolls but never actually loads. All other tabs work normally.....so basically I cannot even access my geo filter at all. It was off before it started malfunctioning. 

My last isp diagnostic on netduma came back as good.

Any recommendations on how to fix the geo filter not being available?

Thanks as always

You can fix your Geo-Filter using this guide: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23979-geo-filter-page-not-loading-solution-here/. It was broken for a few users in the last cloud update but the fix is relatively straight forward :)

Good afternoon,

Alright thank you, my geo filter is fixed.

So I decided to test my speed using speedtest.net. With my netduma connected and my devices getting internet from the R1, I only get half of my ISP 25mb (10mb).

I decided to disconnect the R1 and turn the wifi back on my centurylink technicolor c2000t and viola I get my 24mbps as I should. Seems some how the R1 is gimping my overall speed.

I have followed all previous set up advice and tutorials for optimization.

My c2000t is a router/modem combo, hence why I turn the wifi off and use it just as a modem.

I am sure there is some easy fix, however, I am very internet lingo/tech impaired. lol.

• Netduma Staff

Are you back to using a VPN at all? 10mbps is the maximum speeds you can receive through a VPN so it would make sense if you had enabled one on the R1.

I'm going to suggest these settings. I'm aware that you might have already implemented these, but I would recommend double checking each one:

- Pre-emptive algorithm in Congestion Control

- 100 / 100 Anti-Flood

- Reset Device Prioritisation and apply

- Remove any devices from Hyper Traffic (for now)

- Disable IPv6 in LAN, WAN and Miscellaneous settings

- Disable Deep Packet Processing in Miscellaneous settings

- Run a speedtest using speedtest.net on a wired PC

If this doesn't give you your expected speeds, perform these 3 actions:

- Switch out your Ethernet cables and ensure they are CAT-5e or above

- Switch off the modem and the Netduma. Wait for 5 minutes, then switch on the modem. Wait another minute before switching on the Netduma.

- Go into 'Set Bandwidth' on the Congestion Control page and type your expected speeds in there. Allow the router to automatically set up.

Please let me know how this goes :) good luck!

• 5 months later...

Jack,

I figured I would reply here so that there is a history of my issues.

Today I returned home from a month vacation and my mother has been here watching the home. She complained of slow wifi.

I decided to test some things. Speed test over wifi came back ping 319 and 2 mpbs.

I then plugged my computer through ether and was getting 21 ping and 24mbps.

I then decided to unplug the NetDuma to see if that was the wifi intererence, so I logged into my centurylink routet page and re-enabled wifi. I then re checked wifi speedtest and it came back 28 ping and 24mbps. So to me that says there is some issue with the duma's wifi signal....

What could be causing the netduma to output such a slow wifi connection?

To refresh, I am running a centurylink ct2000 router with just the internet plugged to it and wifi disabled and the net duma in DMZ with all the other devices plugged directly yo NetDuma and all devices running off of NetDuma wifi signal as previously advised for set up and other inquiries.

Thank you!!

• Netduma Staff
11 hours ago, wolfeman said:

Jack,

I figured I would reply here so that there is a history of my issues.

Today I returned home from a month vacation and my mother has been here watching the home. She complained of slow wifi.

I decided to test some things. Speed test over wifi came back ping 319 and 2 mpbs.

I then plugged my computer through ether and was getting 21 ping and 24mbps.

I then decided to unplug the NetDuma to see if that was the wifi intererence, so I logged into my centurylink routet page and re-enabled wifi. I then re checked wifi speedtest and it came back 28 ping and 24mbps. So to me that says there is some issue with the duma's wifi signal....

What could be causing the netduma to output such a slow wifi connection?

To refresh, I am running a centurylink ct2000 router with just the internet plugged to it and wifi disabled and the net duma in DMZ with all the other devices plugged directly yo NetDuma and all devices running off of NetDuma wifi signal as previously advised for set up and other inquiries.

Thank you!!

Honestly I'm not sure at this stage, but you should upgrade to DumaOS. It's possible that something's gone on with the firmware, so upgrading to DumaOS would completely solve such an issue. It'd be far easier to troubleshoot this issue on DumaOS as well.

You can sign up to DumaOS here: http://netduma.com/r1-dumaos/ 

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Honestly I'm not sure at this stage, but you should upgrade to DumaOS. It's possible that something's gone on with the firmware, so upgrading to DumaOS would completely solve such an issue. It'd be far easier to troubleshoot this issue on DumaOS as well.

You can sign up to DumaOS here: http://netduma.com/r1-dumaos/ 

Thank you

I was not aware of a new software update. After reading the email for DumaOs, I checked my current OS and it is r1 debug version 1.03.6h. That is ok to do the DumaOs upgrade without having to manually do it? I do not want to permanently break my router.

Also, is there any eta on ping assist being developed? I think I use that for call of duty..... not sure though....I want to reduce lag as much as possible.

Thanks again.

• Netduma Staff
19 minutes ago, wolfeman said:

Thank you

I was not aware of a new software update. After reading the email for DumaOs, I checked my current OS and it is r1 debug version 1.03.6h. That is ok to do the DumaOs upgrade without having to manually do it? I do not want to permanently break my router.

Also, is there any eta on ping assist being developed? I think I use that for call of duty..... not sure though....I want to reduce lag as much as possible.

Thanks again.

No worries! You're technically on the latest version (that letter in your firmware version doesn't really matter). On 1.03.6 you'll be able to upgrade with no issues - please read everything thoroughly though.

Watch this space for Ping Assist - we'll be announcing news soon about what's to come for DumaOS :) 

9 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

No worries! You're technically on the latest version (that letter in your firmware version doesn't really matter). On 1.03.6 you'll be able to upgrade with no issues - please read everything thoroughly though.

Watch this space for Ping Assist - we'll be announcing news soon about what's to come for DumaOS :) 

Jack,

I followed the instructions for upgrade but I got a box that popped up and said your connection is not secure please log in. It wanted my username and password, however, I do not know my username and password. It is always automatically logged in and its been forever since I set it up.

I tried my username and password for this forum but that did not work.

I pressed cancel and now I cant access anything until I log in.

When I tried to click tabs the screen went white and said directory doesn't exist. So I refreshed the page and now it wants log in again.

Please help!

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, wolfeman said:

Jack,

Got it fixed.

I will keep you posted on my progress

No worries Wolfeman - out of curiosity what fixed the issue for you? I'm glad it's resolved - let us know if you have any other issues.