Continually losing wireless connection

On the current release of NetDuma. Over the past few weeks my devices lose their wireless connection. Only wired connection is my Xbox. Happens multiple times day and the only fix is to either reboot the device or unplug/plug in my modem and NetDuma.

Looking for suggestions, it's become a major PITA to deal with.

Are you using WPA-PSK2 security? 

Im on BT infinity and mine used to drop out till I changed the security settings to the above and Wifi channel to 4. Never drops out now.

I'm in the United States. Went through the guide that  Netduma Fraser mentioned and the wifi analyzer recommended Channel 1

Forget the WiFi network on your PC then connect again with your password. Do you have internet and interface access now?

Eventually I was able to get connected to WiFi on my phone and could log back into my admin interface to switch back so I'm back to not using WPA-PSK2. I still get dropped from the wireless. For example, last night right before bed the connection on my phone dropped and this morning it was back up. The same happens with my laptop.

My Xbox is the only wired device. I'm used to 80MB down and 15-20MB up. But now it's all over the place and constantly plummets to as low as 1.68MB up and down. Powering off the modem and router briefly fixes it. Disconnecting my router and connecting my Xbox directly to my modem gives me a clean, fast connection without any issues.

At first I thought it was the modem so I swapped it out but that didn't help. Can't continue like this, I've got devices that are important to stay connected (my son's diabetic monitor). If the problem is the router then I need to get a new one ASAP.

• Administrators

Okay totally understand. Lets ensure settings are right for your speeds:

• Input your speeds 80/20, don't allow auto setup.
  • Use reactive algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess on
  • Reset device prioritisation and apply
  • IPv6 disabled in WAN, LAN & misc.
  • Deep packet processing disabled in misc
  • Ensure all devices are connected to the R1 via ethernet or wifi (if wifi make sure they don't automatically connect to your ISP hub)
  • Do a wired speed test from your PC (you may not get full speeds through WiFi)

Here are some WiFi suggestions as well: Make sure the router is out in the open in a central location and if possible elevated off the floor. Try to put it in a position where there are limited physical obstructions around it like a wall etc. Also avoid having it in an area with reflective surfaces and other wireless/electrical devices. Most wireless device operate on the 2.4GHz frequency and are more likely to cause interference so move any wireless headphones etc away from the router. Believe it or not a microwave can mess with WiFi signals!

Did you change the WiFi workaround option as well?

Also another suggestion I've never thought of until now - Settings > LAN under DHCP change the lease time to 1 week then apply.

Okay totally understand. Lets ensure settings are right for your speeds:

• Input your speeds 80/20, don't allow auto setup.
  • Use reactive algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess on
  • Reset device prioritisation and apply
  • IPv6 disabled in WAN, LAN & misc.
  • Deep packet processing disabled in misc
  • Ensure all devices are connected to the R1 via ethernet or wifi (if wifi make sure they don't automatically connect to your ISP hub)
  • Do a wired speed test from your PC (you may not get full speeds through WiFi)

Here are some WiFi suggestions as well: Make sure the router is out in the open in a central location and if possible elevated off the floor. Try to put it in a position where there are limited physical obstructions around it like a wall etc. Also avoid having it in an area with reflective surfaces and other wireless/electrical devices. Most wireless device operate on the 2.4GHz frequency and are more likely to cause interference so move any wireless headphones etc away from the router. Believe it or not a microwave can mess with WiFi signals!

Did you change the WiFi workaround option as well?

Also another suggestion I've never thought of until now - Settings > LAN under DHCP change the lease time to 1 week then apply.

Thanks, I'll try these out but wondering if a different approach would be a better option. Is there a service that I could pay for to make sure my settings are optimized to rule out issues with my router? I've been using the R1 since it was available for pre-order years ago but I'm not a network savvy/skilled user. Some companies offer a fee-based set-up/configuration service and I'd be willing to pay for this if there's a Netduma expert available (assuming PayPal or another online payment system would suffice). This is something we should be able to remotely via a shared screen UI such as Skype.

My ISP is sending a tech on Wednesday to bump up my speed to 500MB and install a new modem. After that it would be an ideal time to optimize my R1 and make sure that the issues I'm having can't be blamed on it.

Thoughts?

• Administrators

Thanks, I'll try these out but wondering if a different approach would be a better option. Is there a service that I could pay for to make sure my settings are optimized to rule out issues with my router? I've been using the R1 since it was available for pre-order years ago but I'm not a network savvy/skilled user. Some companies offer a fee-based set-up/configuration service and I'd be willing to pay for this if there's a Netduma expert available (assuming PayPal or another online payment system would suffice). This is something we should be able to remotely via a shared screen UI such as Skype.

My ISP is sending a tech on Wednesday to bump up my speed to 500MB and install a new modem. After that it would be an ideal time to optimize my R1 and make sure that the issues I'm having can't be blamed on it.

Thoughts?

There isn't no. The only people above me are developers, they wouldn't be able to help with this issue or release a patch if it was a bug. I can do a 1 on 1 no problem if needed. Just post in the 1 on 1 section with days/times you're available.

Keep in mind you won't get those speeds wirelessly through the R1.