So I tried out AW with an increased search radius...

konvict

...and without ping assist and the games just as bad as I remembered it with foreign lobbies and laggy games and hosts/players close to the host easily getting the drop on you.

Turned it back to 400mile radius and it's back to the good times.

It's amazing the difference in the 5 months I've been using my R1 to the games I had last night, I can see why none of my friends in the UK play AW.

That is all, just some random musing.

...and without ping assist and the games just as bad as I remembered it with foreign lobbies and laggy games and hosts/players close to the host easily getting the drop on you.

Turned it back to 400mile radius and it's back to the good times.

It's amazing the difference in the 5 months I've been using my R1 to the games I had last night, I can see why none of my friends in the UK play AW.

That is all, just some random musing.

This has to be SBMM.

There is no 100% proof, but think about it. If it was based purely on location / region, then there is no reason for it to try and match players into foreign lobbies unless it was going by something else other than connection (ping). The proof is there, but it is not definitive, unfortunately.

I'm reasonably confident MM in all CoD's, (4 onwards) is completed by both Ping + some measurement of skill.  How the skill part is quantified, I have no idea.

Drift0r posted a video that has been since taken down (probably at the behest of Activision) where he showed the source code of AW, and it has 37 points of skill metrics it takes into account including things  such as previous performance in other CoDs, etc.

So, it's there, but we don't know how much it's weighed against the connection.

Activision's system is too complicated for what it needs to be, IMO.

They could just opt to be like most games that have come before it and allow players to choose the server / host they want to play on with an in-game server browser with actual ping numbers instead of bars. This has been a staple of online gaming since the '90s, yet here we are 20 years later and we are having to have this put back in for consoles. SMH

The second method is they could devise a ranking system similar to real competitive games like Halo 3, and CS:GO that is separate from connection based MM. Make it simple, transparent and easy to understand and 99% of the complaints would probably disappear, IMO.

Archived