Hosting Lobbies vs Connecting

Now I'm aware the Netduma was originally built for a good connection to a host that holds a stable connection and "dominates lag". But as you expanded into the competitive scene for Call of Duty you were opened up to another side of the router people wanted to use. The idea of controlling every aspect of the router attracted people who understand how important networking is to Call of Duty. Just the few features the Netduma has is far more advanced than normal "gaming routers". The idea where you can block someones host if you no longer want to connect to them is amazing. The idea that you can give your Xbox/PS4 a certain percentage of bandwidth is AMAZING. And this router has all the things I like and I was drawn to it.

So here is where I turn to you guys in the forums, the creators and coders that know so much about the Netduma.

Hosting A Lobby - Now hosting a private lobby in Call of Duty is all about the power behind it, the way you kill people on host compared to playing on someone else host is like night and day. (For most people) My question for you guys is what settings would you recommended to use for a hosting perspective. Would restricting my Xbox to a small amount of bandwidth help or the full 100%, I ask these questions because I've had this router for about 2 weeks and tweaking settings I can't find a solid set of settings that actually make me feel like I'm hosting. Most of the time I'm the one getting "melted". Before the Netduma it wasn't great but it was a tad better than now. If you could explain a way I could configure the settings to benefit my connection of the people in my lobby that would be great.

Connecting to Others (Private Lobbies) - Now the difference from this and what I just wrote above is that this way of my connection wouldn't be as easy to "help me". Although I'm playing on someone else connection I feel like there is something I could do to make my connection "better". Because currently when playing in Private Lobbies I feel like I don't even have a chance to shoot at them, I'm constantly getting melted and getting 2 bulleted. Although it's a stretch I would love to hear your opinion on this. Because if it is something that could be adjusted for better connection I would love to know.

Thanks So Much

-@WakeBets

Bandwidth throttlling for me does not work, you send the same amount of packets if you have 20 up as you do if you have 1mb up etc and why would anybody want to send less anyhow that would be counter productive :)

How is your ping from the dumas diagnostics page could you post us a screen shot?

Here is a link to all the articals about lag on the Wiki http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?do=search&id=lagthis might help you with your settings.

Bandwidth throttlling for me does not work, you send the same amount of packets if you have 20 up as you do if you have 1mb up etc and why would anybody want to send less anyhow that would be counter productive :)

How is your ping from the dumas diagnostics page could you post us a screen shot?

Here is a link to all the articals about lag on the Wiki http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?do=search&id=lagthis might help you with your settings.

My ping to Duma is always fine 20-30ms. And although Ian doesn't believe in lag comp a lot of others do. 

http://gyazo.com/2e52e7d50e14f7b0ef9c3dca16093ba9

I believe in lag comp, I find it is based on distance , latency / ping not how wide your band is.

Yes you connection is fine :)

Where about on the planet are you ?

I am Uk and i have my Geo set to 316km covering the Scottish boarders right down to the South coast of the uk. with my ping assist set to 0 so i do not connect out side the geo.

The old cods play like a dream on these settings as long as I take the map packs out so i find losts of players.

I do not play AW anymore as it is a bad title for graphics depth of field and SBMM so even if you get a nearby host there is always somebody from half way aroun the world with a sky high ping.

I believe in lag comp, I find it is based on distance , latency / ping not how wide your band is.

Yes you connection is fine :)

Where about on the planet are you ?

I am Uk and i have my Geo set to 316km covering the Scottish boarders right down to the South coast of the uk. with my ping assist set to 0 so i do not connect out side the geo.

The old cods play like a dream on these settings as long as I take the map packs out so i find losts of players.

I do not play AW anymore as it is a bad title for graphics depth of field and SBMM so even if you get a nearby host there is always somebody from half way aroun the world with a sky high ping.

I'm from Florida, but the post here isn't about pubs, its about actually Private Lobbies. More of a Peer to Peer fix than a server fix.

If you host the private match do you not find you have a slight advantage? I do when i private match on cods.

If a friend hosts I have to try hard like mad.

If you host the private match do you not find you have a slight advantage? I do when i private match on cods.

If a friend hosts I have to try hard like mad.

So that's why I wrote the post, I feel like I have no advantage. That's why I would love to know someone like Ian's advice on a setting to change for a "superior host". 

I may be wrong and it is very probable that I am but if you are hosting I don't think that throttling the connection would help as you are host. You have the advantage. Whenever a friend of mine joins my private warm up lobbies against bots I waste him and he is a way better player than I am.

I firmly believe that if EVERYBODY made their own connection as good as it could possibly be and managed their own network to minimise congestion then COD would play a lot smoother for everyone.

However this is not going to happen as you get youtubers spreading utter rubbish all over the internet and as such you get people using their mobile phones or throttling their bandwidth etc which just messes everything up.

Advanced warfare is the fly in the glass of wine for me. I can go 2 to 3 nights and have great game then a week of 3 and 27 games where I am lagging behind by what appears to be around half a second. I even knifed a guy twice who was layed down capturing B flag the other night for him to stand up back off and shoot me.

Have you considered input lag on your tv / monitor etc or are other people using the network when you are playing?

If they are try setting your congestion control to 70/70.

• Administrators

Hi Wake,

I think you're already aware that I don't believe in lag comp & throttling argument so I won't comment on that. Furthermore I can't help with issues like K/D, feeling like you're getting melted etc because they are subjective & not quantifiable. If you have time I'd recommend reading our latest blog, its a bit dry but explains the concepts well I hope: http://netduma.com/wtf-is-lag/

Anyway back to private matches, this is what I suggest. Firstly information is power, as an ex competitive player (Halo) myself the most important feature I would have used was the peer ping & host ping. Because the sucky thing about private matches is you have no choice on the host so the goal of being competitive is to get better at the game. The peer ping or host ping gives you enough info for you to decide whether the game really is lagging or you're just making excuses. If its a horrible ping just dismiss it as you can't learn much from it but if the ping is reasonable then you know that its probably a lot you can learn from the game.

Just to elobarate, the host ping is the a very good approximate of the game ping. The peer ping is slightly less accurate because the ping to another player should go through the host to the other player but with peer ping its the direct ping to the other player. Its still useful info in my opinion.

Next, you need to absolute make sure that you minimise ping & more importantly ping spikes. So make sure you have your anti-flood set to at least 70%. This will stop bursts (e.g. other people web browsing) causing lag spikes which can hurt you at critical moments.

Finally use device prioritisation to guarantee bandwidth to your xbox (and/or streaming device) so it is never ever starved. This is slightly different to ping spikes, its more that your packets always get through and have a fast path to get through as well.  If you do that you have the optimum setup.

There is an update coming soon that will allow far finer/greater traffic shaping if people really want to go deep. 

Archived