Moving the Home Location

JConnor

This is a pretty straight-forward question for Crossy, Ian and the crew:

I live on the Mid-West, East-Coast of the U.S.

If I move the home icon on the Geo Filter to say, Colorado, or California... What happens?

How does the Netduma process the MM, for AW, and other games?

I'm considering doing this as an experiment and also because we are three hours ahead of the West Coast which means the active player base / local P2P hosts go dormant a lot faster because of the time difference.

Any info. is greatly appreciated  :)

• Netduma Staff

It does the same thing - blocks people not in the range. So if it would usually connect you to a Dedi on the East coast, that dedi will now be blocked, whereas Dedis in Colorado/California that may previously have been blocked will no longer be and you will be able to connect to them.

Maybe matchmaking times will also go up, I'm not too sure about that though :)

EDIT:

If you do that, you'll probably need to turn ping assist off otherwise it's just going to let them all in.

You might find hosts with pretty good pings. I moved my home location to the center of the U.S. and set my Ping Assist to 50. And haven't looked back since. The hosts that I connect usually are no where near 50. Usually they are in the 20 to 30 range which in gaming is really insignificant. I believe as humans we can not detect a difference between a 50 ms ping or a 10 ms ping. I could be wrong but I'm just saying.

You might find hosts with pretty good pings. I moved my home location to the center of the U.S. and set my Ping Assist to 50. And haven't looked back since. The hosts that I connect usually are no where near 50. Usually they are in the 20 to 30 range which in gaming is really insignificant. I believe as humans we can not detect a difference between a 50 ms ping or a 10 ms ping. I could be wrong but I'm just saying.

I just know when i get a 10ms and great connection, if you listen the hit detection sound is louder and more crisp. You will know what i mean if you listen out for it :).

That's why I set mine to the ocean with 111km size and let ping assist find my games set to 55-65ms

I have mine set in the middle of the U.S. And Ping Assist at 50ms. I live on the West Coast in Cali and just like Buck Nasssty that has worked for me!

Thanks, for all the replies.

Center of the U.S. it is with 50-60 PA.

Let you know my results.

Wouldn't be ironic if it's better than it already has been? Activision, you got some 'splainin' to do  :o

Played matches on both the XB1, and PS4. All I have to say is...

OMG!

It's like playing on a LAN.  The highest ping was 40ms! 40! It never spiked above that. Yep, I'm "moving" to the center of the U.S. and staying there for as long as Activision has their asinine MM system in place (which will probably be forever).

The only time it got "bad".. and not even that bad... Was when people from other regions (like from another continent) joined. One player had a clearly Arabic name (and two yellow bars) and he is playing on a U.S. server! Come on. The MM is frakked, but I suppose there aren't that many CoD players in the Middle-East?

That is what kills this whole system. If it was just across the country, that might not be too bad. But the fact is it pair people up from around the world and then expects everybody to have a quality gaming experience. B.S. I don't know who is in charge of QA over there, but they should be fired because the current system is not optimal no matter how they try and spin it.

At first I had mine at about 765 miles. The 890 miles. Then 1200 miles. I got into a lobby with 25ms ping in Southern Cali. It was awesome!

How wide a radius?

If you are asking me, I set the HL to Kansas, and had about a 500 mile radius + 60ms PA (my "default" settings).

I was literally on top of a host / server as far as the map goes and when I pinged it, it was only 30ms away.

This is why I asked does the R1 filter based on real geographic location... I am in Ohio... Or does it filter based on virtual location like from Kansas, where I have it set, now?

I was worried that because my physical distance is a lot farther from where the R1 was filtering that it might be giving me "false" readings, but apparently it does not? Either that, or the trace route to Kansas is just better than other routes to closer servers which is entirely possible given our substandard e-infrastructure in this country.

Hey JConnor is your HL set right on the dedicated server in Kansas ?

It may be, but I was able to ping and "update it" which is not allowed on dedicated servers, right?

Another member of the forum posted a screenshot of the Geofilter for the U.S. showing all the major dedicated servers. Kansas, was not one of them, but that doesn't mean there isn't one there since Choopa does operate data centers not just for online gaming, but e-commerce and data storage as well... and they do have facilities in the West like that.

Archived