Loads of Questions and I Can't Solve Them

Wake

Hello everyone I come here in an agitated state, when I first saw the Netduma I saw great success and something that could help me further myself as a gamer (as dumb as that sounds). And I love the thing for its certain aspects, BUT there are things I would love to be added or fixed.

I am a member of the "try everything first before you ask for help" group, and I will try everything and read forums and watch videos etc. But there are some things I can't solve. For some of these things I've posted here before and still won't work. And for other things I can't find one forum post that identify s the problem. 

So first off....

The GEO FILTER - Now for the average gamer of Pubstar this is a great thing and I love the idea of forcing my Xbox to play within a certain radius of me, and was shocked to see the servers/hosts my Xbox was trying to connect me too. But what my problem was is that my Geo Filter was simply not working, I was connecting to servers/hosts across the country and I was annoyed with this. So I came to the forums and posted and was sent a link and I followed the steps to the letter. And I even was sent the new update and yet this fixed my location issues it felt like my Geo Filter became much smaller and random. At some points it finds servers in my state (And I live in FL and i know there are at least 2 main Call of Duty servers here) and other times it can only find what I call the "Big Three" and by that I mean the Three Main servers in America, these being in Kansas, California, and Massachusetts. And I'm aware of how there is more traffic during the day but my Geo Filter completely ignoring these servers that are in my state is very weird. I have my Geo Filter set at 800 miles this covering all of the South East  Coast and most of the North East as well, and still the long wait times. After being fed up with the long wait times I like to take my Geo Filter off Strict Mode. And I then lower my Ping Assist to a average 20ms, thus hoping to find a server in that range, but this is the part I wish wasn't in my Netduma. I get put all over the place, I would say my success rate of being under 1000 miles from my home is 1/10. I'm constantly joining lobbies on the West Coast and sometimes in Europe. And the ping times to them are between 90-200ms. But what confuses me is why this happens? Why does the Netduma allow this to happen? It is either a 2 Bar or 3 if I'm lucky.

(A good example is me connecting to the same UK host, as you can see I've named it because of the awful 2 Bar http://gyazo.com/39d209882904ab757f3ba3d30a60313b )

Preemptive vs Reactive - Now after reading many posts I have a solid idea of what each mean, the Preemptive being for internet connection under 60 down. And this being the default selection and the HIGHLY recommended from Admins and the creators of the Netduma. After many attempts on each one and trying them during different times and trying them when I give my Xbox a different amount of internet I can't feel or see a difference at all. (My internet being 35 Down 2 Up) Although I am a strong believer in LAG COMP, this being a huge problem in AW my main game of choice on Xbox. And by using the Congestion Control I am able to give my Xbox such a small fragment of bandwidth. I've tried giving my Xbox 100% and 1% and places all over the number scale and best results were 15-40%. My main question with this is what would be recommended for shorting up my Xbox bandwidth because from running my own personal tests I can't seem to find a definitive answer. 

IPv6 vs IPv4 - Before getting the Netduma I knew what IPv6 was but never used it because my old router (Nighthawk) had a long process to be enabled. But with the Netduma it was just a click away. When I set up my Xbox for the Netduma I saw that my Xbox was setup with an IPv6 DNS. After lots of research and reading forum posts I learned that using IPv6 was "faster" and "better". So I was happy and kept it that way. My question to the creators and coders is does this help more with the Netduma or is it just an option and it isn't very optimized yet. 

(When doing research I was told to "disable" UPnP. But upon going to disable this I saw this. http://gyazo.com/5c964a5828f245097987785ddf43a9d0Will disabling UPnP cause a problem?)

DNS - Came around to see this option to set a DNS, many other providers have faster DNS Servers than your ISP. Am I able to change this or would I have to contact my ISP. http://gyazo.com/6c7f94b4fc3a8b03ec2d636adfe5f628

Hope To Add - I have just a few things I wish could be implemented into the software in the future, an option to 10000% BLOCK THE IP. I find myself clicking the IP I connect to and seeing that I rated it at 1% and I don't want to connect to it but some how I magically get back to it. If there was a way to have my Xbox not be able to join it that would be great. Another suggestion would be something I feel like would be great for the router. If there was a way you guys could code in so the lobby selects you as the host. I learned this was possible back in the day when people had JTAG Xboxs and was able to force host. They simply told their Xbox to tell the server that it wants to host. Although that may be not allowed I just thought maybe I could throw it out there and see if you guys could find a way.

Thanks so much for everyone that reads this and I hope we get plenty of responses to this thread. 

Thanks Guys 

-@WakeBets

Hello everyone I come here in an agitated state, when I first saw the Netduma I saw great success and something that could help me further myself as a gamer (as dumb as that sounds). And I love the thing for its certain aspects, BUT there are things I would love to be added or fixed.

I am a member of the "try everything first before you ask for help" group, and I will try everything and read forums and watch videos etc. But there are some things I can't solve. For some of these things I've posted here before and still won't work. And for other things I can't find one forum post that identify s the problem. 

So first off....

The GEO FILTER - Now for the average gamer of Pubstar this is a great thing and I love the idea of forcing my Xbox to play within a certain radius of me, and was shocked to see the servers/hosts my Xbox was trying to connect me too. But what my problem was is that my Geo Filter was simply not working, I was connecting to servers/hosts across the country and I was annoyed with this. So I came to the forums and posted and was sent a link and I followed the steps to the letter. And I even was sent the new update and yet this fixed my location issues it felt like my Geo Filter became much smaller and random. At some points it finds servers in my state (And I live in FL and i know there are at least 2 main Call of Duty servers here) and other times it can only find what I call the "Big Three" and by that I mean the Three Main servers in America, these being in Kansas, California, and Massachusetts. And I'm aware of how there is more traffic during the day but my Geo Filter completely ignoring these servers that are in my state is very weird. I have my Geo Filter set at 800 miles this covering all of the South East  Coast and most of the North East as well, and still the long wait times. After being fed up with the long wait times I like to take my Geo Filter off Strict Mode. And I then lower my Ping Assist to a average 20ms, thus hoping to find a server in that range, but this is the part I wish wasn't in my Netduma. I get put all over the place, I would say my success rate of being under 1000 miles from my home is 1/10. I'm constantly joining lobbies on the West Coast and sometimes in Europe. And the ping times to them are between 90-200ms. But what confuses me is why this happens? Why does the Netduma allow this to happen? It is either a 2 Bar or 3 if I'm lucky.

(A good example is me connecting to the same UK host, as you can see I've named it because of the awful 2 Bar http://gyazo.com/39d209882904ab757f3ba3d30a60313b )

Preemptive vs Reactive - Now after reading many posts I have a solid idea of what each mean, the Preemptive being for internet connection under 60 down. And this being the default selection and the HIGHLY recommended from Admins and the creators of the Netduma. After many attempts on each one and trying them during different times and trying them when I give my Xbox a different amount of internet I can't feel or see a difference at all. (My internet being 35 Down 2 Up) Although I am a strong believer in LAG COMP, this being a huge problem in AW my main game of choice on Xbox. And by using the Congestion Control I am able to give my Xbox such a small fragment of bandwidth. I've tried giving my Xbox 100% and 1% and places all over the number scale and best results were 15-40%. My main question with this is what would be recommended for shorting up my Xbox bandwidth because from running my own personal tests I can't seem to find a definitive answer. 

IPv6 vs IPv4 - Before getting the Netduma I knew what IPv6 was but never used it because my old router (Nighthawk) had a long process to be enabled. But with the Netduma it was just a click away. When I set up my Xbox for the Netduma I saw that my Xbox was setup with an IPv6 DNS. After lots of research and reading forum posts I learned that using IPv6 was "faster" and "better". So I was happy and kept it that way. My question to the creators and coders is does this help more with the Netduma or is it just an option and it isn't very optimized yet. 

(When doing research I was told to "disable" UPnP. But upon going to disable this I saw this. http://gyazo.com/5c964a5828f245097987785ddf43a9d0Will disabling UPnP cause a problem?)

DNS - Came around to see this option to set a DNS, many other providers have faster DNS Servers than your ISP. Am I able to change this or would I have to contact my ISP. http://gyazo.com/6c7f94b4fc3a8b03ec2d636adfe5f628

Hope To Add - I have just a few things I wish could be implemented into the software in the future, an option to 10000% BLOCK THE IP. I find myself clicking the IP I connect to and seeing that I rated it at 1% and I don't want to connect to it but some how I magically get back to it. If there was a way to have my Xbox not be able to join it that would be great. Another suggestion would be something I feel like would be great for the router. If there was a way you guys could code in so the lobby selects you as the host. I learned this was possible back in the day when people had JTAG Xboxs and was able to force host. They simply told their Xbox to tell the server that it wants to host. Although that may be not allowed I just thought maybe I could throw it out there and see if you guys could find a way.

Thanks so much for everyone that reads this and I hope we get plenty of responses to this thread. 

Thanks Guys 

-@WakeBets

In this picture it seems like you don't have your geo filter enabled that's why you're connecting to hosts outside your ranges/settings.

Make sure at the top under the service you want to use it for the red box says "Disable" which means it's on.

Disable=on

Enable=off

Iain, make this text change a priority in the next update lol or just a check box or enable/disable.

In this picture it seems like you don't have your geo filter enabled that's why you're connecting to hosts outside your ranges/settings.

Make sure at the top under the service you want to use it for the red box says "Disable" which means it's on.

Disable=on

Enable=off

Iain, make this text change a priority in the next update lol or just a check box or enable/disable.

In that picture I had "Strict Mode" off and Geo-Filter was On.

Problem with that is I get lobbys all over the place and crazy ping times over 80ms. 

If you use those settings you'll only get hosts under the 60ms ping which 99% of the time are close to you... Ignore the location that the map shows and go by what the ping shows

If you use those settings you'll only get hosts under the 60ms ping which 99% of the time are close to you... Ignore the location that the map shows and go by what the ping shows

The ping shows over 80ms 90% of the time, I can't find one anywhere close to 60ms <

So i do not connect outside of my geo i set my ping assist to 0 stopping it from connecting outside the geo if the ping assist number is met.

• Administrators

The purpose of preemptive/reactive is to STOP other people or devices at your home making you lag. They can go watch HD films, torrent whatever and your ping will only be minimally impacted.

Some people believe in lag comp throttling theory, we at Netduma do not. So I won't comment on that further. You can ask other users about that if you like. We will have an update soon that will allow finer bandwidth filtering & shaping BUT again we highly recommend not using that for lag comp solution as from a network perspective it makes no sense.

IPv6 vs IPv4 - Before getting the Netduma I knew what IPv6 was but never used it because my old router (Nighthawk) had a long process to be enabled. But with the Netduma it was just a click away. When I set up my Xbox for the Netduma I saw that my Xbox was setup with an IPv6 DNS. After lots of research and reading forum posts I learned that using IPv6 was "faster" and "better". So I was happy and kept it that way. My question to the creators and coders is does this help more with the Netduma or is it just an option and it isn't very optimized yet. 

(When doing research I was told to "disable" UPnP. But upon going to disable this I saw this. http://gyazo.com/5c9...987785ddf43a9d0Will disabling UPnP cause a problem?)

IPv6 has nothing to do with game ping. Long story short, there are about 4 billion IPv4 addresses available. We have nearly run out of them so IPv6 is basically the solution to that. Neither you nor I have to worry about that its a problem the ISPs have to address. I personally would suggest having IPv6 disabled because it actually can hurt your throughput as the router has to do slightly more work to process IPv6.

Also UPnP has nothing do with game ping either. In this context its basically used to open your NAT automatically. If your NAT is open I would suggest not touching anything as you have the optimum setup.

Came around to see this option to set a DNS, many other providers have faster DNS Servers than your ISP. Am I able to change this or would I have to contact my ISP.

You are correct you can add DNS servers there if you like. However again DNS has absolutely nothing to do with gaming ping. DNS servers basically change a website name to an IP address. So when you look up www.google.com the DNS will convert that to 8.8.8.8 or something like that. This has absolutely nothing to do with your game ping. It may just mean that websites load slightly faster as you have less time waiting for the conversion to made.

Hope To Add - I have just a few things I wish could be implemented into the software in the future, an option to 10000% BLOCK THE IP. I find myself clicking the IP I connect to and seeing that I rated it at 1% and I don't want to connect to it but some how I magically get back to it. If there was a way to have my Xbox not be able to join it that would be great. Another suggestion would be something I feel like would be great for the router. If there was a way you guys could code in so the lobby selects you as the host. I learned this was possible back in the day when people had JTAG Xboxs and was able to force host. They simply told their Xbox to tell the server that it wants to host. Although that may be not allowed I just thought maybe I could throw it out there and see if you guys could find a way.

The blocking does work fully, I think you may have run into our anti-cheat feature; Read this please: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=gf_anti_cheat

The GEO FILTER - Now for the average gamer of Pubstar this is a great thing and I love the idea of forcing my Xbox to play within a certain radius of me, and was shocked to see the servers/hosts my Xbox was trying to connect me too. But what my problem was is that my Geo Filter was simply not working, I was connecting to servers/hosts across the country and I was annoyed with this. So I came to the forums and posted and was sent a link and I followed the steps to the letter. And I even was sent the new update and yet this fixed my location issues it felt like my Geo Filter became much smaller and random. At some points it finds servers in my state (And I live in FL and i know there are at least 2 main Call of Duty servers here) and other times it can only find what I call the "Big Three" and by that I mean the Three Main servers in America, these being in Kansas, California, and Massachusetts. And I'm aware of how there is more traffic during the day but my Geo Filter completely ignoring these servers that are in my state is very weird. I have my Geo Filter set at 800 miles this covering all of the South East  Coast and most of the North East as well, and still the long wait times. After being fed up with the long wait times I like to take my Geo Filter off Strict Mode. And I then lower my Ping Assist to a average 20ms, thus hoping to find a server in that range, but this is the part I wish wasn't in my Netduma. I get put all over the place, I would say my success rate of being under 1000 miles from my home is 1/10. I'm constantly joining lobbies on the West Coast and sometimes in Europe. And the ping times to them are between 90-200ms. But what confuses me is why this happens? Why does the Netduma allow this to happen? It is either a 2 Bar or 3 if I'm lucky.

There are two issues here it seems to me:

• Why are you getting hosts outside your filter
  • Why are you not getting lobbies

I'll address second question first. Basically people often have the misconception that they need as small a distance as possible to get good latency. But remember the Internet works at the speed of light. So really looking at less than about 1500 miles may actually be suboptimal because the distance is already very small but you're restricting too much of the population. Also one other thing it appears that Aw uses dedicated servers a lot so if you get lobby booting please make sure to read this: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_am_i_getting_booted_from_the_lobby_game&s[]=snap&s[]=button.Especially the snap button which will help you find the optimum distance for searching. Also one other thing go to "Settings > Misc" and make sure bleeding edge & auto cloud are ticked then click apply please.

Finally circles outside your Geo-filter problem. If your Geo-Filter is enabled ( the button underneath the service will say 'Disable' because the button means the action you will do ). Then the only way you can connect to a host is:

• If they are inside your Geo-Filter distance
  • If the ping to them is below your ping assist value. If this is the case the circle will appear with a dotted outline. The reason this was added is some hosts are in the wrong location so the ping assist helps us find them.
  • If you have put them in your allow list. So if you have given them a rating that has made them appear in the green curtain below
  • You have strict mode off and its a dedicated server

Hope that helps :)

The purpose of preemptive/reactive is to STOP other people or devices at your home making you lag. They can go watch HD films, torrent whatever and your ping will only be minimally impacted.

Some people believe in lag comp throttling theory, we at Netduma do not. So I won't comment on that further. You can ask other users about that if you like. We will have an update soon that will allow finer bandwidth filtering & shaping BUT again we highly recommend not using that for lag comp solution as from a network perspective it makes no sense.

IPv6 has nothing to do with game ping. Long story short, there are about 4 billion IPv4 addresses available. We have nearly run out of them so IPv6 is basically the solution to that. Neither you nor I have to worry about that its a problem the ISPs have to address. I personally would suggest having IPv6 disabled because it actually can hurt your throughput as the router has to do slightly more work to process IPv6.

Also UPnP has nothing do with game ping either. In this context its basically used to open your NAT automatically. If your NAT is open I would suggest not touching anything as you have the optimum setup.

You are correct you can add DNS servers there if you like. However again DNS has absolutely nothing to do with gaming ping. DNS servers basically change a website name to an IP address. So when you look up www.google.com the DNS will convert that to 8.8.8.8 or something like that. This has absolutely nothing to do with your game ping. It may just mean that websites load slightly faster as you have less time waiting for the conversion to made.

The blocking does work fully, I think you may have run into our anti-cheat feature; Read this please: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=gf_anti_cheat

There are two issues here it seems to me:

• Why are you getting hosts outside your filter
  • Why are you not getting lobbies
I'll address second question first. Basically people often have the misconception that they need as small a distance as possible to get good latency. But remember the Internet works at the speed of light. So really looking at less than about 1500 miles may actually be suboptimal because the distance is already very small but you're restricting too much of the population. Also one other thing it appears that Aw uses dedicated servers a lot so if you get lobby booting please make sure to read this: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_am_i_getting_booted_from_the_lobby_game&s[]=snap&s[]=button.Especially the snap button which will help you find the optimum distance for searching. Also one other thing go to "Settings > Misc" and make sure bleeding edge & auto cloud are ticked then click apply please.

Finally circles outside your Geo-filter problem. If your Geo-Filter is enabled ( the button underneath the service will say 'Disable' because the button means the action you will do ). Then the only way you can connect to a host is:

• If they are inside your Geo-Filter distance
  • If the ping to them is below your ping assist value. If this is the case the circle will appear with a dotted outline. The reason this was added is some hosts are in the wrong location so the ping assist helps us find them.
  • If you have put them in your allow list. So if you have given them a rating that has made them appear in the green curtain below
  • You have strict mode off and its a dedicated server
Hope that helps :)

Boom! Dispelling network myths since 1999! :)

I run everything at 100% in CC no throttling, if you have no packet loss or jitter and a reasonable ping theres not much more you can doin regards to your internet. Experiment some more with the Geo-Filter  and PA as thats what i have found gives the best results.

Archived