IPv6 Support with the Netduma

Hi All,

OK so i have a Sky Q router at the moment that supports IPv6 and when it was installed i had the R1 not connected and the xbox was given an IPv6 address so i know it works.

Since then i have installed my R1 in the DMZ of the SkyQ router and I am getting an IPv4 IP address on the xbox and have an open NAT.

My question is that i see an option in the settings on the R1 that shows i can enable IPv6.  Will this give me an IPv6 address as all devices are connected to the R1 so not sure if it supports it in this way?

IF anyone can let me know what the IPv6 compatibility is with the R1

Thanks

i was able to get IPv6 on the xbox by doing the following. I also believe i get a better experience this way too even though i cant prove it as the various methods to test give very similar results for both IPv4 and IPv6 but with IPv6 there is no longer any NAT related issues.

1. put modem into bridge mode, 

2.enter Netduma WAN settings page and add the appropriate information into the user name and password fields if you need to use PPoE which is usually required if your connection type is ADSL, but other connection types for example HFC or cable do not require PPPoE so you do not need to enter anything here.

3. Enable IPv6 on the netduma WAN page, and on the netduma LAN page, 

4. restart the netduma by clicking on the reboot router button on the MISC page. Wait for it to completely reboot before moving to the next steps.

5. turn off or unplug the power cable from your modem, the Netduma and xbox (make sure xbox is really off and not on standby if your using the fast boot option) 

6. Turn modem back on and wait for it too boot.

7. Plug power cable back into the netduma and wait for it to fully boot, atleast 1 min. 

8. turn xbox on and check the network settings page to confirm its using automatic setting for IP and DNS settings, it will also tell you that its using IPv6, if not repeat steps 4-8 again but wait longer between each step, rushing any of these can cause issues. I suggest a minimium of 2 minutes between each step and also making sure any other connected devices remain off until you finish all of these steps.

9. enjoy playing your favorite game

I gave this a go yesterday but could not get it working.  I wll give it another go in a but but it still keeps coming up IPv4.

Should I have UPnP on and port forwarding off?

Will it still work if i am not able to put the modem into bridge mode and have the R1 in the DMZ as this is Sky and the R1 does not support its type of connection

thanks

Hi All,

Tried it again and no joy, I even deleted the X1 from the R1 (needed a reboot to allow this) then rebooted it again.  Still coming up as IPv4.

I will wait until tomorrow to have another go as the Mrs and the kids are usnig the internet at the moment and 2 reboots had already cause a 24 year old to melt down :blink:

I was not able to use IPv6 on the Xbox with my modem not using the bridge mode setting. I tried everything I could think of as on my PC and even my iPhone, IPv6 was was working but on the Xbox it was only showing IPv4.

There is no need to disable UPNP or your port forwards if u had them set up instead, make sure you go into your Xbox network settings and select auto before turning it off. And it's probably a good idea to clear the Xbox cache by removing the power lead from the wall socket and then trying to turn the Xbox one using the front Xbox power button which will light up briefly until there is no remaining power in the power brick.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, owned my Netduma for a while now and never had any issues, but my ISP has recently enabled IPv6 and I've been trying to set it up. My setup is as follows: Technicolor TG789vac V2 (modem) > Netduma (router) > TP-Link D9 (access point). 

When I review the IPv6 connection on the modem, it's connected, but any devices connecting through the Netduma only have an IPv4 address. All the IPv6 settings are enabled in the settings and I've tried resetting everything. Is it that I have to run the modem in bridge mode for it to work?

hey mattyau if your playing on the xbox one go to the network settings menu and that page will tell you if your IPv4 IPv6 or both, and will also indicate your nat type.

my personal experience has been my computer would use IPv6 for somethings and IPv4 for others, and if your a windows user open the resource monitor and selects the network tab, you will see lots of connections using both at the same time, often the same app or program would have several of each occurring at the same time.

if you cant identify and IPv6 traffic in either of those places then its not working.

And yes you do need to have the modem in bridge mode and if using PPPoe for your connection those setting will need to be entered in the netdumas WAN page, there wasn't a way to get it to work if this wasn't done. I have the same modem with the netduma and then my nighthawk R7000 and it works a treat once you set it up so I strongly suggest giving it a go, there is no downside to it that I have seen.

No worries, thanks for the reply. The reason I don't use it bridged is because I seem to get a better connection via PPPoA than I do PPPoE, connection holds more stable along with my ping. I've been told it shouldn't be that much of a difference, but trying with various different modems has presented the same results. I'll give it a go either way and see if IPv6 is worth it or not. Cheers.

Well if your notmally using PPPoa jiust try entering ur details into the netduma PPPoe section. getting it to work the first time i had internode support troubling shooting it will me coz it just wouldnt authicate from the netduma so we went throgh the process opf factory refreshing the modem and then setting it up with PPPoa instead then bridge mode the modem and it worked. Whether its using PPPoa or is actuially using PPPoe now theres no way for me to know but for you the work this that could happen is it not work and you need to apply your previous settings back to reconnect to the internet

internode

Lol, yeah, just clicked that you're a fellow Aussie, I'm with internode too. It's all setup running PPPoA now, so will just change to bridge mode and see how it goes. Not that much of a hassle to reset the modem and revert back if need be. Cheers man

No love, couldn't get bridge mode operating properly, which is weird, cause I did have it set up when I first tried it out a week or so ago. Not sure what the issue is, but will have another play around with it later

on the netduma wan page all i needed to do was fill out the username and password for PPP.

then power on the modem while the netdumas power cord is not pluggedf in, then after modem has had 1-2 minutes of power plug the netduma power back in and leave it alone for a few minutes, youi should thgen notice that the 4 green leds on the modem are no longer all green, you should have 2 green and 2 red which indicates the modem is working correctly in bridge mode

So I've tried it all and just doesn't seem to work. It's modem Lan1 to Netduma Lan 1 (PoE) yeah?

I've triple checked all the settings and they're correct. Have 2 red and 2 green lights on the modem.

Interestingly, when I review the Broadband panel on the modem, it says 'Ethernet Status: Ethernet Disabled' only says enabled if the ethernet is plugged into the Wan port on the modem, but I've put in back in Lan1

Edit: did a full reset on modem and netduma; no love. Annoying, cause it's worked before. Had enough, IPv4 it is.

Hey mate, I had trouble getting it to work the second time also and the problem was solved after alot of frustrations and phone calls to internode by factory resetting the modem and DO NO enter any settings or complete the setup wizard and just enable the bridge mode option, I have the list of steps required to complete the task and have everything working listed in post 2 of this post. Skipping steps and not following instructions exactly results in it failing.

You also WILL not be able to access the modem interface when you have correctly set up bridge mode on it and are using the netduma to do the PPP authentication.

And sorry mat it must have been another post I was helping someone that I explained my issue requiring having to have the modem factory defaulted and no settings at all other then enabling bridge mode set up into it.

Also make sure the username u enter into the ppp on the netduma wan page is something like [email protected]

Can't even get the modem to pick up the Netduma via the DMZ method now...ethernet lights up on both, but nothing in the modem gui, and no Wan ip on the Netduma. No idea wtf is going on now

Disconnect all devices attached to ur modem and press the factory default button by using a pin and hold for at least 7 seconds, then wait 5 minutes for u to complete then plug in 1 device like ur laptop using a LAN cable and log into the modems config page.

Cancel the quick start wizard and open the settings page and make ur all the settings are the correct ones for internode, there will be a menu box with several ISP's listed and change that to internode. That's it, save it and then go enable bridge mode and let it do its things, unplug ur laptop and leave everything unplugged from the modem.

Plug ur laptop into the netduma and check its config, wirelessly connect to it will avoid having to muck around with manually changing the IP settings of ur laptop if you couldn't connect straight away.

Make sure all the boxs below the top 2 the netduma wan page for the username and password have nothing defined. You just want user name and password for internode and leave every else blank. After the top 2 sections the remaining options like enabled IPv6 ect can be changed or left alone.

Go to misc page on netduma and reboot it. After 1 minute or so remove the power cable from netduma and plug the cable into it that goes to your modem and then remove the power cable from your modem.

Plug the power cable back into modem and wait 2 minutes or so and then plug the power cable into the netduma and wait another 2 minutes or so.

This works coz I just tested it twice and once not folllowing these instructions and not following these instructions lead to it not working but it did both times I did the above in the last hour.

Good luck and don't rush

Lol, thanks heaps for the write up mate, sorted it out about 10 minutes ago a jumped on to update my post. I think the issue was that I setting the modem to bridge mode via Wifi which I can only assume it bridges it to an access point. Appreciate all the help mate.

Haven't really had a chance to take a look at anything since getting it setup, had to shoot out as soon as it was up and running and when I got home the isp was down locally (second weekend in a row). Did manage to jump on and play a Trials Destiny yesterday arvo when it came back on, but that was about it. Will take a look at what you mentioned when I get a chance. Anything in particular you're referring too?

• 9 months later...