looking for a permanent solution to nat problems

as the title says I'm in need of a permanent fix regarding nat issues. Everytime I go to play cod aw and party chat with some friends I have to reset everything, tick and untick upnp ect. it gets annoying because it can take up to 10 minutes to resolve this issue, but then after it is fixed, what bothers me the most is when I power down and try to do it all over again tomorrow the nat is broken again. can anyone else attest to what im saying here? is there a solution ?

You have obviously tried the DMZ option?

Have you tried to take the duma out of the dmz have no ports forwarded etc and use the duma's Enable upnp forwarding found in misc settings? the later works well for me.

Remove the dmz and any forwarded ports then tick Enable upnp forwarding in misc settings then reboot the Duma , if it still persists reboot the Asus first then the duma once the Asus is fully up:)

• Administrators

Thanks guys let us know how it goes Spedie

But tbh if the instructions on the wiki don't work its likely an issue with the other router not ours. We can still try & help though just need to clarify that.

I think i have made matters worse turning off the dmz, when all routers booted back on my xbox was on strict nat and not only that I couldn't connect in party chat, but I also couldn't host everyone was saying unable to join party.  Im wondering can I just forgo upnp and forward all ports necessary would that fix things?  also Ian I understand you say it might be my asus router but let me just say that I never had these issues when it was just the asus router alone.  also I want to mention that I think host filtering may play a big part in what is going on because i tried turning it off and connecting with friends while the nat was saying strict mode and I was able to connect then once connected i turned it back on and I had party chat issues again.  I know your advice is to disable it before starting up cod but it becomes rather tedious to have to do that every time.  Ideally id love to be to play without having to have my computer next to me all the time.

• Netduma Staff

I think i have made matters worse turning off the dmz, when all routers booted back on my xbox was on strict nat and not only that I couldn't connect in party chat, but I also couldn't host everyone was saying unable to join party.  Im wondering can I just forgo upnp and forward all ports necessary would that fix things?  also Ian I understand you say it might be my asus router but let me just say that I never had these issues when it was just the asus router alone.  also I want to mention that I think host filtering may play a big part in what is going on because i tried turning it off and connecting with friends while the nat was saying strict mode and I was able to connect then once connected i turned it back on and I had party chat issues again.  I know your advice is to disable it before starting up cod but it becomes rather tedious to have to do that every time.  Ideally id love to be to play without having to have my computer next to me all the time.

I would recommend putting the router back into DMZ then. I don't think the UPnP would be making anything worse, so I'm not sure if disabling it would make a difference.

It might just be that you have to disable the GeoFilter when partying up/getting into a game.

Maybe the servers that are getting blocked need to be whitelisted (but I'm not sure about that). If they do then you could post the IDs in the appropriate thread - not sure if these are the kind of servers that get whitelisted though.

And this was after you had done as suggested leave upnp on in the Asus and tick Enable upnp forwarding in the duma and rebooted everything starting with the asus let it fully boot then boot the duma, let it fully boot then the xbox ?

If it does not work then back to the DMZ it will have to be.

yes thats correct, when i returned to my old settings nat was open but i booted up with my host filtering on off then turned it off afterwards.  I just don't want to have to do this everytime not to sound like a complainer LOL

• Netduma Staff

yes thats correct, when i returned to my old settings nat was open but i booted up with my host filtering on off then turned it off afterwards.  I just don't want to have to do this everytime not to sound like a complainer LOL

When you boot it up with the GeoFilter enabled are there any triangles or triangles on the GeoFilter?

• Administrators

I'm going to explain Crossy's logic.

If & only if you get closed NAT when the Geo-Filter is on, its because your blocking a NAT server. So if we got get the ID of it then I could move it to the always accepted list & this wouldn't be an issue.

However the Geo-Filter closed NAT is a false negative. The reality is your NAT is open. But earlier on you said people couldn't join you, if those people are definately inside your Geo-Filter then you should be able to connect to them because as mentioned before your NAT actually is open even thought its reporting otherwise.

So I guess the question is, when it acts up and people can't join you. If you disable the Geo-Filter can they join you immediately? 

okay a lot to take in.... as of right now my settings are back to normal asus router has the netduma on dmz and upnp is enabled on the netduma router. yesterday was a weird day for cod aw I haven't been able to recreate the scenario where I couldn't get people to party up with me since it happened so lets throw that out for now unless it happens again.  As far as party chat problems go since i reset everything and restored my normal setting my nat has been open and I have been able to boot up without turning off the geofilter so really I have nothing bad to report, problem is eventually something will happen that will cause my nat to go back to strict or moderate and I wont be able to party chat with friends, I guess the next time it happens I'll let you guys know.  

btw crossy I checked the map when I boot up nothing pops up on my map until I actually hit xbox live within the multiplayer menu of cod. when I hit it i see padlocks every where and some red circles within my radius.

Archived