DDNS available for VPN issues

Corbula

I just wanted to find out if DDNS is available in the router yet?

Basically, I have a plex media server setup on a machine which is behind a VPN. Which means I can't access my PMS remotely (well I can but indirectly through Plex's own Relay servers which are very limiting).

If it possible to set a DDNS such as DynDNS or No-IP in the router so I can access Plex directly when not at home?

I will point out this isn't a massive issue for me, I just wanted to find out if it's possible as it would be much better to be able to do this.

Thanks all.

I just wanted to find out if DDNS is available in the router yet?

Basically, I have a plex media server setup on a machine which is behind a VPN. Which means I can't access my PMS remotely (well I can but indirectly through Plex's own Relay servers which are very limiting).

If it possible to set a DDNS such as DynDNS or No-IP in the router so I can access Plex directly when not at home?

I will point out this isn't a massive issue for me, I just wanted to find out if it's possible as it would be much better to be able to do this.

Thanks all.

Nope, but I use no-ip and they have a client that will run on your PC and update any time your IP changes

If you have a plex server, setup a VNC server on the same box and then use tight vnc form the remote device.  as posted above most dyndns services have a stand alone service you can download for routers that don't have the options for dyndns. for remote access you'll just set the port you want to use on the server side application and then forward in the duma.  then when you access from remote just use myplexserver.ddns.net:5900 or whatever you set up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right, when I've looked into this it seems it won't work. The reason being the DDNS service (No-IP or similar) needs to be on the router to matched the router IP. If it was on the machine that I'm using Plex on it will be the same as it is now due to it being behind the VPN IP.

Archived