Cell phone texts causing major lag

Okay so I noticed this before on a total of three phones all being LG but even when the phones are not connected to wifi, when I receive a text my connection goes from 4-1 bar and the game is unplayable. 

Don't know why it does this but can we look into this issue, I found one thing online that was kind of the same issue.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/64253028

Remember the phone is only using my carriers network when this happens so if its just radio interference then how can we address that issue?

It makes it impossible to have my phone next to me to be contacted while playing online, wired may I add.

Anyone else have strange issues like that?

Okay so I noticed this before on a total of three phones all being LG but even when the phones are not connected to wifi, when I receive a text my connection goes from 4-1 bar and the game is unplayable. 

Don't know why it does this but can we look into this issue, I found one thing online that was kind of the same issue.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/64253028

Remember the phone is only using my carriers network when this happens so if its just radio interference then how can we address that issue?

It makes it impossible to have my phone next to me to be contacted while playing online, wired may I add.

Anyone else have strange issues like that?

Turn off LTE on the phone, see if that works... Not sure of your carrier but some carrier's LTE bands are on the same frequency of cable modem bands and could cause interference but unlikely. Worth a shot anyway.

AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all use the 700 Mhz band for LTE which is right in the middle of most cable modem frequencies.

I have AT&T but I always have my data off even though I have unlimited, I still don't like apps transmitting data in the background.

Texts still use the cellular network to send and receive even with data off... Plus it's android, it's not really off lol

W00t to the old school unlimited AT&T customers!

Texts still use the cellular network to send and receive even with data off... Plus it's android, it's not really off lol

W00t to the old school unlimited AT&T customers!

Yes I know it uses the cellular network, data is for when you receive a picture or a video.

Also android is adjustable when compared to others, when my data is off, its off.

Ah yes good ol' AT&T unlimited data, I got two of those on my account.

Seems very strange, if it's not connected via WiFi then it cannot be a congestion issue. 

How close are the phones to the router itself?

On the same desk within two feet, I also moved my phone a little further and it still happened last night.

I also moved my Turtle Beach headset just in case but its the phone signal that does it.

I think if the inside of these routers don't have a good shield then that could be the problem.

I read online that you can tweak the router to better handle these situations. 

Alright I asked someone in my house to send a few texts to me while I was playing BO3 and sure enough it happened.

So I'm not 100% that the netduma is getting any interference but I am going to build a faraday cage around my modem today.

I will report back after I set it up and test it again with texts.

If after the modem is in a faraday and I still get connectivity issues then I will know netduma is also getting interference.

Alright I asked someone in my house to send a few texts to me while I was playing BO3 and sure enough it happened.

So I'm not 100% that the netduma is getting any interference but I am going to build a faraday cage around my modem today.

I will report back after I set it up and test it again with texts.

If after the modem is in a faraday and I still get connectivity issues then I will know netduma is also getting interference.

Isn't turning off LTE easier? Lol

Alright so went ahead and created the cage around just the modem and tested and it worked.

So there is this company who charges $52.95 for a cage for modems, the link is below.

http://smartmeterguard.com/products/router-guard

I went to target and made one with two of these for the price $4.99 each. 

http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-metal-mesh-letter-tray/-/A-13429691

So far so good, so my cell carriers network was causing RF interference with my Arris SB6190

I will obviously continue to see if this works with everyday texts but it seems to work perfect.

So now my Netduma sits outside the cage while my modem is in the cage but both still on top of dual cooling board.

Archived