Filter Radius (Draw VS Distance)

One thing with living in a big country like Canada is that I can't filter by the areas I'd like to connect easily with just the radius tool. I'm in western Canada and ping to places along the west coast are very low. Anywhere down the west coast pings pretty fast, even pretty far kms wise. Eastern Canada pings much higher even at the same or shorter distances. (My guess is the network infrastructure down the US coast lines is more robust than across the prairies). If I use the distance tool to make a circle it captures areas I don't want while trying to include areas I do want connection too. I can move my location to try to stop that but there's always a trade. I'm not sure how the tool works in the back end but is it possible to make it so you draw the area on the map that would would like to connect too? Or even draw multiple areas?

is it possible to make it so you draw the area on the map that would would like to connect too? Or even draw multiple areas?

I was thinking this regarding my geo filter in Europe. Certain countries in Europe have overall decent internet but some are absolutely terrible.

The circle can create a somewhat vague inclusion zone crossing over the edges of some countries and could potentially pull in horrible connections.

As I'm playing BO3 on Xbox One, and we have only the dedis in Ireland, this isn't going to make any difference at the moment but I can see it being different when playing P2P hosts.

For example, the connections in Germany, Netherlands, France (the majority at least, are very good) but for me to include them in my Geo Filter I must widen it to the extent that it also allows in Spain, Portugal, Italy and southern Scandinavia - I don't know if it's that the infrastructure is terrible there but I see a disproportionate amount of BS and ridiculous lag when I come up against a clan-tag of ITA or ESP. I don't fair too well against Scandinavia either.

I can of course move my home to adjust where the circle falls but due to the geography there's only so much I can do before I cut out a country I want or I include a country that I don't want.

edit - I suppose that's what Ping Assist is for though.

• Administrators

There was talk about being able to draw your own radius awhile back. I'm not sure what was said then but it probably wouldn't make it into the new upgrade, we'll see if we can implement something like that afterwards

Archived