force connect within geofilter is buggy

for the last week everytime I've tried to rely upon the geofilter to force a host in a particular area it fails and then after that I must reboot in order to get back to the servers I camp in Dallas.  I used to be able to force connect within my filter area.  Maybe I've forgotten how to set it up?  I load into game, BO3 ps4, verify OPEN NAT.  Generic gaming profile is always loaded. I set my PA to 0, geo filter to 262 miles over English Dedi host and enable.  I wait a few minutes then try and grab a match....  Sent me to Chicago or E. St Loius.  Last week was Florida.  Neither of these are in the filter area NOR 0ms Ping?  So..... what's going on or what am I doing wrong?

post-9415-0-48969100-1470769728_thumb.png

• Administrators

Your radius is very small, we usually recommend ~650miles. I'm kind of confused, you have your home in the UK but you want to camp Dallas servers? If so then put your home location in Dallas. 

It looks from that screenshot that the Geo-filter is not enabled at all. Can you make sure at the top of your page that the device's "Enabled" tick box is checked

sorry for the confusion.  I live in the US, I prefer to camp a dallas server and can usually do that with ease. I also play with friends in UK and used to be able to set my geofilter to the UK and practice with the latency.  I haven't been able to do so.  Isn't that the purpose of the geofilter to only connect within that range.  Also, yes the circle is small because it is posted right above the UK dedicated server location as mapped by netdumas location ID.  So what am I doing wrong? Why can't I connect to Dallas when I want and UK when I want or any server within the specified location.  Why would I set my geofilter, drop PA to 0 and still be conencted to random dedis vs. the UK or wherever I selected geofilter range wise?  That is the ONLY use I have for the netduma is to lock in those areas I choose to play. I have 3 ISP connections, one with cable modem and one with telco VDSL and one with ftth. All 3 have totally different routing.  My cable modem IP geolocated in Alabama, so the game will force me to connect to the east coast without geofilter.  My routing for the same IP however is 11 hops to Akamai server space in Dallas with a ping of 20ms according to ping plotter, in game to Dallas dedi ping is 17-33ms.    My routing for VDSL is to Chicago w/ a ping of 30ms to Akamai in Chicago, my in game ping is 33-50ms.  My ping with fiber is 11ms to Dallas and is generally used for the rest of the network usage since it has the most bandwidth.    

Wow...  Long story short, I can use the geo filter to force my connections to be better by NOT allowing the game to connect me to host based on my IP geolocation rather my actual location or just choose where I want to play. This used to work.  My friends and I would play UK and European servers all the time.  It's been awhile so maybe I'm missing some detail.  You tell me. 

Your radius is very small, we usually recommend ~650miles. I'm kind of confused, you have your home in the UK but you want to camp Dallas servers? If so then put your home location in Dallas. 

It looks from that screenshot that the Geo-filter is not enabled at all. Can you make sure at the top of your page that the device's "Enabled" tick box is checked

I can assure you the geo filter is enable.  But it does act like it's not working.

Here is tonights craptastic first game tried.  Set it up waited a few minutes for the filter to work it's magic went in game found a lobby way to fast like it was not working to find a host within the specified PA range geofilter is on the ocean.... Why is this not working?

Also, so you have all the details this setup should have landed me in Dallas, the hsot it has selected is Chicago area and will give me an in game pin of 67-83ms on this ISP.  And I should not be connecting there I should be connecting to Dallas like I used to.  This just started within the last week or so and I've been setup this way for over a year.  No routing has changed with either company.  What's strange is when I reboot it will connect as it should.  So do you think the hardware has shit the bed or is in the process?

post-9415-0-45523700-1470881748_thumb.png

so that match right there the auto ping to host shows 47ms average and in game was 67.  Totally different gameplay from 30ms to high 60ms.  So I rebooted and it went back to locking out servers like it should then searching within the parameters set.  I waited 10 minutess before searching for a host the first time in that screenshot and it did non of it's usual locking out host etc.  

post-9415-0-05563300-1470882734_thumb.png

And before we get sidetracked by my not explaining very well I guess. Yes I understand the in game ping will be more due to engine latency etc etc.  I am not worried about 47ms vs 67ms of the host ping vs in game.  I understand all of that.  My issue is clear. The setting are set just like I have for a year or more and it won't filter.  I set the ping assist int he ocean and set it to 26-32ms and it would always connect me to Dallas until now.  It doesn't filter and if I set it up reverse, say over a specific geo region and reduce the PA to 0 it still will just choose a random host and game.  I will now test to force host in UK with your suggested settings of 650 miles. 

update** It locked out dedis in the US like I would expect but after quite some time it found no host in that range.

post-9415-0-20037200-1470885437_thumb.png

Another thing I just noticed, on a previous post I asked about the same issue and it was ok after a reboot.  I was trying to camp my usual Dallas servers and it kept throwing me into Florida servers where the ping and lag is horrendous.  So basically, again, the geo filter/PA was not working until a reboot.  I didn't notice then but did last night, all of my save IDs int he allow list are gone. So basically the device has eaten  saved info but only partially because the rest of my settings are in place.  This bites, I had a lsit of over 18 people on the allow list and now it's all gone without explanation.  

• Administrators

Enable cookies in miscellaneous settings. 

Once you've set up reboot from misc settings to save.

Can also save a profile and export it - if you do need to factory reset you can import your profile and will have your allow list etc.

Ensure you allow auto setup for your speeds. Add your console to Geo, set location, strict mode & PA 0. THEN boot up the console and search.

Can also save a profile and export it - if you do need to factory reset you can import your profile and will have your allow list etc.

Ensure you allow auto setup for your speeds. Add your console to Geo, set location, strict mode & PA 0. THEN boot up the console and search.

pretty stock then.  so one thing you said that i don't do is set the filter and settings then boot console, i usually wait to do that and enable once in game and verified open NAT then set those things and enable the filter and wait a few minutes for it to kick in.  2-5 minutes.  Then search game.  I do this because if I don;t it gives me moderate NAT even thought the ports forwarded in UPnP and occasionally it gives me abc... error or boots me form servers with disconnect error message in game.  

So are you saying set it up and once I boot console and get into the game activate the filter before searching for match or set up including enable the filter then boot console?

Something is not right, I have had these same settings and used this device successfully for quite some time. Now all of the sudden I can't get into lobbies, If I move my geofilter and enable it as I did before it just randomly decides to put me in a lobby/server wherever.  Doesn't matter if I choose Dallas, UK, Chicago... it will put me where it wants. And it's totally random.  I just rebooted, have the exact same settings as I did at lunch break yet at this moment it is set up just as it has been and it's been working fine now all of the sudden I can't find a match in Dallas or anywhere.  So the filter either doesn't work or filters too much?  

I've noticed this whenever I've tried playing around with it. I live in the UK, and whenever I've played with friends in New Jersey at 90-100ms~ I normally get better hit detection than playing at 10ms on the UK server. I can set ping assist to 0ms, set the radius around NJ (even as wide as 500 miles around it, sometimes even including the server near the border with Canada), boot up the game and the servers in the filter will show up. Great!

Then I try to find a game and nothing happens even after a 5 minute wait, or I'll be put into games with Europeans again. If I ping the server in New Jersey, it'll come up with 10ms ping as though the UK server simply decided to move 3000+ miles. I've only successfully managed to get on to the NJ server solo once, but it was full of other 3 bar players from Central America and it was miserable.

Strange how I still connect to the UK server even when the NJ one is the only red dot in the world on my map.

I've noticed this whenever I've tried playing around with it. I live in the UK, and whenever I've played with friends in New Jersey at 90-100ms~ I normally get better hit detection than playing at 10ms on the UK server. I can set ping assist to 0ms, set the radius around NJ (even as wide as 500 miles around it, sometimes even including the server near the border with Canada), boot up the game and the servers in the filter will show up. Great!

Then I try to find a game and nothing happens even after a 5 minute wait, or I'll be put into games with Europeans again. If I ping the server in New Jersey, it'll come up with 10ms ping as though the UK server simply decided to move 3000+ miles. I've only successfully managed to get on to the NJ server solo once, but it was full of other 3 bar players from Central America and it was miserable.

Strange how I still connect to the UK server even when the NJ one is the only red dot in the world on my map.

Yes this feature used to work for me probably before the last update was the last time I used it. But yes at that point you are receiving the effects of lag comp vs getting penalized by lag comp.  That's how we practice.  We play a week of shity lag games then move over to low latency for a week then LAN. 

Mine has actually gone form bad to worse.  I'm assuming it's impending hardware failure.  I have reset to stock. and reread all the walk through's.  I am/was doing everything right or else I would have had issues form the start.  Now I'm getting disconnected during games and then the very next game it's throwing me into servers far away.  And to make mattes worse the netduma is working but dropping my internet connection.  This bites man.  What happened?  It's almost like a cloud update or something is locking a servers that is needed just to play on PSN.    I have verified my isp is good.  Ping Plotter has ran for over 48 hrs with 0 packet loss.  My hops to Akamai in dallas who hosts that PSN rack at least for COD BO3 is 11 hops and 18-22ms. With very little jitter surprisingly. 

Yea I guess I'm going to have to. Hopefully you can find something other than just checking my settings cause this is bananas.  So I have now sat for 45 minutes with the exact same settings I used at lunch not 4 freaking hours ago to get a match within 3 minutes in Dallas.  Now nothing.  It lock out the other servers as it should and doesn;t even show anything in Texas at all... Also My settings are setup by the router or were.... now when I try to have the router set them based on bandwidth I get a big red button that SAYS WARNING!  OK.  WTF!

Yea I guess I'm going to have to. Hopefully you can find something other than just checking my settings cause this is bananas.  So I have now sat for 45 minutes with the exact same settings I used at lunch not 4 freaking hours ago to get a match within 3 minutes in Dallas.  Now nothing.  It lock out the other servers as it should and doesn;t even show anything in Texas at all... Also My settings are setup by the router or were.... now when I try to have the router set them based on bandwidth I get a big red button that SAYS WARNING!  OK.  WTF!

I was just curious if you were seriously throttling your connection ? Back when I was experimenting with settings I noticed that when I really throttled my speeds that it would not put me on a server,even thou I live 80 actual miles from the dedi bank in Illinois.It would take forever to get in a lobby and when I did it was always a P2P game.

I'm not saying this is your issue,just some similarities in the situation.I'm sure Fraser will get you straightened out.

I was just curious if you were seriously throttling your connection ? Back when I was experimenting with settings I noticed that when I really throttled my speeds that it would not put me on a server,even thou I live 80 actual miles from the dedi bank in Illinois.It would take forever to get in a lobby and when I did it was always a P2P game.

I'm not saying this is your issue,just some similarities in the situation.I'm sure Fraser will get you straightened out.

I have in the past throttled my connection but not had issues until recently and after probably 1.07 patch I noticed the throttling was not doing anything. Either that or the placebo effect wore off.  Lately I just let the Duma do it's thing. 

Archived