New installation

Hi,new to forum and just wanted to run this past for thought,so should get my Netduma soon,basically I plan to set up like this.... Openreach modem to Asus RT-AC87u to Netduma to PS4, I plan to keep using the wifi via asus as this has built in adaptive QOS which gaming is set to the highest and not that much stuff going on when I'm gaming,so I put the Netduma into Asus then enable Netduma to DMZ via its WAn ip and have it connected to ps4 ,this way I can then use the geofilter,my main games are battlefield and FIFA .

Also I plan to keep the Netduma wifi on so I can access the UI via iPad ,would it be better the change the wifi channel on the Netduma so it does not interfere with the Asus.

Thanks for any help

Try using inSSIDer it will tell you your optimum channel to avoid overlapping. All the rest sounds fine although i would connect evrything to the Duma to get the best from CC and shut off the WIFI on your Asus.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I agree with Buds, much better to do Modem <-> Netduma <-> Asus

Everything going through the duma is good so you can use our unique congestion control algorithms. Also it just makes it easier to access the interface. 

Thing is the Asus is very powerful and I run it with RMerlin firmware and is rock solid,prior to a firmware upgrade 2 days ago it's was connected for 39 days,plus I work offshore and can't have issues whilst away,granted the Netduma has cc but my network is not very congested and the Asus controls this via the adaptive qos, what I am trying to achieve is for the ps4 to be controlled by the Netduma,I know this will not make much difference on battlefield as they are dedicated servers but for FIFA I want to play people in UK,the lag last night made me turn it off...lol.... Great new vid on YouTube by Netduma yesterday related to this.... O and I'm not saying the Netduma would not ho,d sync it's just what im used to with Asus.....thanks guys

Guest Netduma_Iain

You can set it up in the reverse direction if you want. But we're built on top of Linux OpenWRT and the software has been tested a lot. I've had mine on for over 6 months at one point. 

But there is no problem doing it in the reverse, only issue is you want a device to access it on like you said the iPad would do great. But it needs to be connected on the LAN side of the duma. 

There was supposed to be a pic on that last post., ok that's good it runs on Linux WRT which is pretty much the same as DD WRT Linux based firmware I use, think I will go modem>Duma >Asus and have ps4 plugged directly in to the Duma and set the Asus as an access point

@Ian, can't you get the Netduma changed to a black box as well as white....lol.... Anyway I know this question is a long shot but as this is Linux WRT firmware have you tried to flash it on any other routers such as say a netgear,as the Netduma is purely based on top notch firmware and in theory should be able to use on another device, I know this defeats the object of selling a device but was just wondering

I am sure they want it tied to one device so the fw cant be handed around :)

That's what I thought as it defeats the purpose if not,however the firmware on there site is easily downloaded and must be locked to the device

There was supposed to be a pic on that last post., ok that's good it runs on Linux WRT which is pretty much the same as DD WRT Linux based firmware I use, think I will go modem>Duma >Asus and have ps4 plugged directly in to the Duma and set the Asus as an access point

If you are going Modem>Duma why do you need the Asus, i had a top line Asus and the Duma WIFI  kicked it ass.

If you are going Modem>Duma why do you need the Asus, i had a top line Asus and the Duma WIFI  kicked it ass.

Well I may check it out on its own but Ac87u with merlin firmware is strong, I would be interested to know the range of Netduma wifi and also the Asus has 5ghz which I use

Guest Netduma_Iain

We are a software company purely. We would be open to put it on other devices, and may have to achieve gigabit speeds.

But don't worry we will aim to look after our early adopters when that happens.  So for example someone who has an R1 that wants another device could get the licence price taken off or something. But that is for the future. 

We would never let people install the firmware primarily because its very easy to brick a router. Piracy is obviously a concern but if we wanted to make it installable we could just put anti-piracy measures its really more the difficulty of installing firmware that is the issue. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

On the wifi side, its really nothing to do with us its just the hardware and the open source wifi drivers. But the strength is pretty strong having said that. 

Archived