ISP Modem-RT-N66u-Netduma config help

I am trying to set up my rt-n66u before my netduma, I had it working for awhile and after I updated to the current firmware I am no longer able to get it to work. Long story short the reason why I want the RT-N66u before my netduma is becuase I use a VPN and the netduma's OpenVPN is not upgraded as often and a few other things. My rt-n66u is also runing Merlin as the firmware.

CONFIG

IP for my Rt-n66u is 192.168.1.2 the default is 192.168.1.1 but I changed so I wouldn't have a confilct with the Netduma's IP.

Configure the LAN setting of RT-N66U.

Device Name IP Address Subnet Mask

WAN

Enable DMZ Yes No IP Address of Exposed Station IP-192.168.1.1

YES

CONFIG

IP for Netduma 192.168.1.1 not 192.168.88.1 I achieved this by updating the router and unticking persevered settings. I was messing around with the router & downgrading from 1.3.6 to 1.3.5.

I then go into my WAN page http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/wan.shand set up the WAN to a static IP.

Static Enabled
IP Address-192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask-255.255.255.0
Gateway IP-192.168.1.2
Primary DNS-192.168.1.2
Secondary DNS-192.168.1.2

I had this working but I am unable to get it to work again. So I am here posting because I might be doing something wrong... if I missed any information just ask and I will provide.

Thanks

I am trying to set up my rt-n66u before my netduma, I had it working for awhile and after I updated to the current firmware I am no longer able to get it to work. Long story short the reason why I want the RT-N66u before my netduma is becuase I use a VPN and the netduma's OpenVPN is not upgraded as often and a few other things. My rt-n66u is also runing Merlin as the firmware.

CONFIG

IP for my Rt-n66u is 192.168.1.2 the default is 192.168.1.1 but I changed so I wouldn't have a confilct with the Netduma's IP.

Configure the LAN setting of RT-N66U.

Device Name IP Address Subnet Mask

WAN

Enable DMZ Yes No IP Address of Exposed Station IP-192.168.1.1

YES

CONFIG

IP for Netduma 192.168.1.1 not 192.168.88.1 I achieved this by updating the router and unticking persevered settings. I was messing around with the router & downgrading from 1.3.6 to 1.3.5.

I then go into my WAN page http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/wan.shand set up the WAN to a static IP.

Static Enabled
IP Address-192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask-255.255.255.0
Gateway IP-192.168.1.2
Primary DNS-192.168.1.2
Secondary DNS-192.168.1.2

I had this working but I am unable to get it to work again. So I am here posting because I might be doing something wrong... if I missed any information just ask and I will provide.

Thanks

If you have just updated the Merlin Firmware you should clear the NVRAM then set it up manually.

I use this router in my current setup however i do not have merlin firmware for it so this may differ slightly, All i do is manually assign my netduma an IP address in the asus's LAN page and DHCP server section. I dont use DMZ. make sure you have NAT and UPNP enabled in WAN page and then on Duma have UPNP forwarding on in miscellaneous settings to stop any NAT issues.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You're able to use any VPN with the R1 if you have the config files. Were you aware of this? If you then do it like this you can utilise the R1's congestion control.

I use this router in my current setup however i do not have merlin firmware for it so this may differ slightly, All i do is manually assign my netduma an IP address in the asus's LAN page and DHCP server section. I dont use DMZ. make sure you have NAT and UPNP enabled in WAN page and then on Duma have UPNP forwarding on in miscellaneous settings to stop any NAT issues.

I sware I have tried this but I could be mistaken. "will be trying this out later tonight again" how do you plug the cables into the duma? do you use the WAN port or one of the LAN's? Also could you provide some screen shots of the Netduma setup and the Asus?

You should check out Merlin if you own an Asus Router. Some could say it's almost like getting a new router with the featrues it provides. https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog

They update the core features of the router often. I would say every month or two, but the features that are getting updated are secuirty features. I know the Netduma provides a great router and I would never nock it. The geo-filtering works as stated, some games it works better then others. I have had my Duma for over a year.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You're able to use any VPN with the R1 if you have the config files. Were you aware of this? If you then do it like this you can utilise the R1's congestion control.

Yes I am but as I stated OpenVPN is not updated as often and a few other things. Honestly I don't even know what version of OpenVPN I am using with the Netduma. If I am going to pay for my VPN service I would like to know my security. The VPN setup on the Duma is lacking in my opinion.

Thanks Fraser

• Administrators

Yes I am but as I stated OpenVPN is not updated as often and a few other things. Honestly I don't even know what version of OpenVPN I am using with the Netduma. If I am going to pay for my VPN service I would like to know my security. The VPN setup on the Duma is lacking in my opinion.

Thanks Fraser

Thanks for the feedback :)

Archived