Port Forwarding for Home Alarm with BT HH5

Hi again,

I received my Netduma R1 yesterday and got the basics set up last night (more info below - but very good initial results). I need a bit of help with Port Forwarding for my alarm system:

1. I have a BT Home Hub 5, I have turned the wifi off on this router and the only wired connection to it is now the Netduma, all other LAN connections (wired and wireless) are all being routed via the Netduma.

2. The BT HH5 uses the subnet 192.168.1.xxx

3. The Netduma is set on the default subnet of 192.168.88.xxx

4. My Home's Alarm has a fixed IP of 192.168.1.200 and I need to forward port 10001 to it.

5. Currently the above port fowarding is configured on the BT HH5. This worked perfectly, but now obviously doesn't work as the Netduma is between it and the alarm.

Please can you give me some instructions on the best way to acheive this port forwarding? I thought maybe it would involve disabling the port forwarding on the HH5, moving the Netduma to the BT HH5 DMZ (as described here: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=bt_home_hub_5)and then setting up the port forwarding on the Netduma. Also I wasn't sure if I would need to change the Netduma subnet to 192.168.1.xxx in order for this to work. However I didn't want to do any of this fettling before seeking some advice.

Initial Results

It took me ~20 mins to setup the Netduma and run through the tour. We have *awful* internet (~5Mbs ADSL) and network congestion is a constant issue in our house, the main issue being where I want to have a quick game of COD and my daughter wants to play minecraft online or watch youtube at the same time. Previously with just the HH5 COD would become unplayable - I mean really awful rage inducing >400ms dreadful! Last night I played COD as a test with nobody on the network and it was super smooth - 4 bar sub 60ms pings all time. I then got my daughter to hit the net on her iPad and watch YouTube and play Minecraft online and my game was (as far as I can tell) *totally unaffected*!!! I was shocked amazed and delighted!! What's more, my daughter was able to continue watching HD Youtube with lags or pauses. I am really impressed with what the Netduma can do with such a dreadful connection - Kudos guys!

Amost everything else in my home connected easily to the Netduma. The Nest Thermostat initially didn't want to play with wifi, but then did connect and is playing fine (and is visible via the internet and the wifi from my iPhone). However I am currently unable to connect to my media server (Synology 5 Bay 16TB RAID) or my Swann CCTV server, but I expect I will be able to resolve both of these items later today after fixing the alarm.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

• Netduma Staff

Hey :) If it possible for you to change the IP address of the alarm? If it is change it to the subnet of the Netduma (88). Then put the Netduma in the HomeHub's DMZ, remove all port forwarding from the HH and then configure that port rule on the Netduma for the alarm.

If you can't change the IP of the alarm, then you need to make the subnet of the Netduma 192.168.1.*. To do this go to Settings >> LAN. You will also need to change the HomeHub's subnet to something else as they can't both be the same.

Archived