A few questions before i buy...

Hi All,

Just got a couple of questions before i purchase this router...

1. Does it have any PoE Ports meaning Power-over-Ethernet for something like a CCTV IP Cam? Even if its just 1 port?

2. Does it support VLANS? or LAG?

3. What would you say the wifi range is like? I don't see any antennas on the router so thought the wifi range may be about average?

4. Does it allow remote management from any WAN ip?

5. Does it support VPN Dial in or branch to branch? IPsec?

6. Does it support VoIP phones like Cisco phones? some routers you get one way audio.

I know some of these are mainly business focused so i am not expecting it to have all these features and it not having them wont really stop me buying one, i just need to plan if i need to buy a managed switch to go with it thats all for the LAG / VLAN / VPN.

Cheers!

Welcome Mas - I see that the guys in the chat have helped you a bit, but the real answers will probably come in what will be tomorrow morning your time as the NetDuma team are all UK based.

Of the questions you asked, the only 1 I can safely answer is in relation to the Wifi.  It works well for us as we have one Duma for household uses and "occasional" gaming with the wife.  We frequently have multiple devices going, and I have been known to stream a lot of movies through (3) interior walls to a remote TV with no real issues and full connection bars listed.  I personally don't have a problem with the Wifi strength or the range of it.

Hope that helps and that we can soon conscript you in the #DumaArmy

JD

1. Does it have any PoE Ports meaning Power-over-Ethernet for something like a CCTV IP Cam? Even if its just 1 port?

3. What would you say the wifi range is like? I don't see any antennas on the router so thought the wifi range may be about average?

6. Does it support VoIP phones like Cisco phones? some routers you get one way audio.

Hi Mas, saw you in the shoutbox earlier...

Fraser will give you the best answer on these, he's a wizard.

1) Yes, one as far as I know, I've never used it for anything like that though but if there are further details to be communicated someone knowledgeable will jump in.

2) I don't know about this at all I'm afraid. I'm the resident ass-hat, rather than a technical beast.

3) The wifi is 2.4ghz. I can't answer regarding range though as I needed 5ghz for someone that dropped their phone and broke their 2.4ghz capability. Idiot eh? I have another router behind it as AP.

4) I know what this is at least (yay, me) but I don't know about the capability. The following is an option in the settings:

Access control panel from WAN

Sounds about right (?)

5) I literally have no idea what this means, sorry. There are VPN options though - I stay away from them because I'm a liability.

6) Again, I have no idea.

Welcome by the way, as Dillinger said the UK lads (the other ones, that know stuff) will be around soon.

I look forward to kicking your arse on CoD ;)

• Administrators

Hi All,

Just got a couple of questions before i purchase this router...

I know some of these are mainly business focused so i am not expecting it to have all these features and it not having them wont really stop me buying one, i just need to plan if i need to buy a managed switch to go with it thats all for the LAG / VLAN / VPN.

Cheers!

Hey, welcome to the forum!

1. Yes, however this is port 1 which you need to connect to your ISP hub.
  2. Yes VLAN Tag is available but only the WAN port can be configured at the moment. It does not have LAG
  3. It's very strong, it reaches all over my 2 storey place and even outside.
  4. Yes as shown above, tick that option in misc settings (password protect as well) and you can access it from anywhere by typing your homes public IP into a web browser. But obviously this is a security risk. 
  5. No, yes.
  6. VoIP should be fine, though not many people have used them so hard to say for sure.

Please let us know your use-cases. As the software is always being improved and we may be able to cater for it if we believe enough people/use-cases would benefit. 

Archived