Xbox one

Modem -> Netduma -> Xbox.one

Game: Destiny

Speed: 100mbps down - 20mbps down

Ping: 30ms

NETDUMA SETUP

1.036G

Destiny profile activated

There are no other devices on that network. I have dedicated it to gaming.

-----

Here is the question:

I live I in south Africa I have no problem it any lobby accept my own country a the average connection is around 4mb with ping of 60+ms

Now want to us host filtering to stop me from connecting to local (south African) lobbies.

Now when I set my home to ZA the filtering kinda doesn't work. So I set my home to the UK

Whilst this works well, if I do.a trace route I see the traffic going from the UK to ZA back to the UK to.the host.

Now while my games are pretty lag free I wanted to find out if this is the most efficient was of blocking ANY local connections and only play in Europe.

Is there a better way of doing this?

The way you're moving your home location is the best way to connect to an area outside your real home.  I have read several threads that indicate the Trace feature can be inaccurate because there are some servers whose real home location is misidentified.  For example, sometimes I will get connected to a server in Kansas but have a ping of 25ms.  There is no way the ping would be that low if the server were really in Kansas.  It should be more in the 40 - 60 ms range from my real home location.

The way you're moving your home location is the best way to connect to an area outside your real home.  I have read several threads that indicate the Trace feature can be inaccurate because there are some servers whose real home location is misidentified.  For example, sometimes I will get connected to a server in Kansas but have a ping of 25ms.  There is no way the ping would be that low if the server were really in Kansas.  It should be more in the 40 - 60 ms range from my real home location.

Thank you for the reply, I thought this would be the right way but wasnt sure if I was causing other issues. I have noticed a much higher search time for games though, but I am putting that down to the change in home location.

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum!

As above, I wouldn't pay attention to the trace as it can be inaccurate. Moving your home will be the easiest way, unless you want to manually block each player which may get time consuming. 

Due to your location search times will be increased so it forces you a game within your radius.

Hey welcome to the forum!

As above, I wouldn't pay attention to the trace as it can be inaccurate. Moving your home will be the easiest way, unless you want to manually block each player which may get time consuming. 

Due to your location search times will be increased so it forces you a game within your radius.

Thank you @Netduma Fraser lets face it this router is just the beeeeeezzzz kneeezz I love it to bits and already have two of my mates ordering them :)

I noticed the increased search time but I dont mind at all. I did notice in some instances there are members from ZA in the overseas lobbies. I thought it would eliminate them all together?

Thank you @Netduma Fraser lets face it this router is just the beeeeeezzzz kneeezz I love it to bits and already have two of my mates ordering them :)

I noticed the increased search time but I dont mind at all. I did notice in some instances there are members from ZA in the overseas lobbies. I thought it would eliminate them all together?

The R1 can't control who connects to the dedicated servers.

Got you, just to.check my own logic:

Netduma controls who you connect to.

If members that are outside of you zone filter connect to.the same host that you are that's just "luck".

What Netduma does is prevents you from connecting you to.hosts out side of your geo filter

Yes you've got it. You can also use Ping Assist to make it so you connect to servers or people who are within the Ping Assist value. Some people will make their home location as small as possible and set it in the ocean, then just use the PA value to find low ping lobbies

I'm not sure brother. I don't play enough multiplayer on Destiny to give you solid advice. If you read it in the forums, I would say that is probably the case.  The group here takes their Geofilter settings very seriously

• Administrators

Fantastic to hear that!!

My understanding though is that Ping Assist is not used tor destiny - or at least that's what I have read and what the Destiny profile loads.

Is this not correct?

That's right, ping assist is not really used for Destiny :)

Archived