Internet without Netduma gives me 250 down, 20 up. With ND: 25 Down, 5 up. What's wrong?

So I purchased a Netduma back in December 2015. Seems like Geo-filtering and Congestion Control work to a degree. I use this router only for Destiny on PS4. Other then the fact that strict mode often results in beaver errors, and that occasionally some hosts are outside my indicated geo filter (sometimes across an ocean??? - another post on this another day) I have generally seen ok performance. But not to a degree that has convinced me it was worth it to drop over $400 CAD for this white little box.

I upgraded my internet to 250 down and 20 up thinking maybe my base internet speeds are the problem. My new down can perform even at 300-310, and my up is a steady 20 using the router provided by my carrier (Rogers). In both cases, removing the residential gateway feature of the Rogers router and the router to router configuration results in significantly lower speeds. Connecting directly to my Rogers modem gives me what I am paying for on every device. Going through Netduma for my PS4 or any other internet device in my little apartment results in about 25 down at best and 4-5 up. These numbers are the same even through a LAN cable. 

Kinda disappointing. I have tried every setting and tested every option, and used the profile settings. The Netduma is causing a severe bottleneck to the capability of the internet coming in to my home. I am the only resident, and I turn everything else off when I run tests or when I am gaming. In the Netduma tests, I got a rating of excellent except for jitter, which said "good".

PLEASE HELP.  :(

And yes, I did update my Netduma with the new speeds (250 down, 20up).

I'm not sure what the max speeds Netduma can handle are, however I can state a few bottlenecks that could cause this.

Settings > Miscellaneous Settings > Uncheck "Enable link-local IPv6"

Settings > LAN > Set IPv6 to Disabled

Settings > WAN > Set IPv6 to Disabled

Also, try enabling Settings > Miscellaneous Settings > Turbo Mode - Enables speeds up to 500 Mbps

• Administrators

If you've followed the settings for those speeds on the duma (will recap them now):

• Reactive algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation
  • IPv6 disabled in WAN, LAN & misc settings
  • Deep packet processing disabled in misc settings
  • Turbo mode enabled
  • Ensure the ethernet cable connecting your hub > duma is compatible with your speeds - Cat5e + 
  • Wired speed test from PC
  • If you don't achieve full speeds then enable super turbo mode

If you've followed those settings - most important being ethernet cable can handle those speeds then you should be good.

Thanks for weighing in Fraser, I enabled Super Turbo mode too.

I followed all the settings, now I get 34mbps down, (a little better) and up speed is about 6mbps. Between my cable modem and the NETDUMA I am using the network cable provided with the NetDuma Router. Is that correct?

Where do I edit or change the percentage of anti-flooding? Do you mean Congestion Control - that's what I am assuming now.

I followed all the settings, now I get 34mbps down, (a little better) and up speed is about 6mbps. Between my cable modem and the NETDUMA I am using the network cable provided with the NetDuma Router. Is that correct?

Where do I edit or change the percentage of anti-flooding? Do you mean Congestion Control - that's what I am assuming now.

I think he means this https://netduma.com/features/anti-flood/

Also you can try disconnect all ethernet cables up and then reconnect them, also try another router and see if it still is doing the same thing.

• Administrators

Yes anti-flood located in congestion control. 

Make sure the cable connected to the duma to your PC is capable of those speeds as well. If you still receive slowdowns please post in the request 1 on 1 section of the forum after reading the pinned thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Fraiser,

I discovered the issue. It was the small black ethernet cable included with the Netduma. When I swapped it with a yellow one provided by my carrier, it worked fine. Strangely enough, using it between my PS4 and the NetDuma results in no ethernet connectivity on the console. 

I guess I got really lucky by getting a defective ethernet cable. Now the Netduma is giving me speed tests higher up. Although the wifi is still quite slow. Did you guys disable the 5GHz connection?

Chris

• Administrators

Hey Chris, thanks for getting back to us with the solution! 

The hardware doesn't support 5Ghz. Use a wifi analyser to find the least congested channel & change to that. Turn off wifi on your ISP hub. You won't get as high speeds as that but should be able to squeeze more out of it. 

Fraiser, 

Is that normal for the ethernet cable provided? In my reviews before I purchased, I thought it was a super high quality cable. Why would that be the case? It's the first time I've ever seen a cable be defective.

Thanks!

• Administrators

No that's not normal. We make sure we get the best cables for the job that can handle top speeds. We order them in bulk so just a defective cable of the bunch it sounds like unfortunately. Sorry for the inconvenience! 

Archived