MAC address filtering with timed access?

dungbeetle

Hello.

First off, congratulations to the NetDuma team for creating such an impressive bit of kit!

It looks like the Geo-filtering is something we could really use here, but I do have a quick question regarding MAC filtering.

Within my current router's software I can enter a MAC address and then set it to only allow internet access to that address at predetermined times.

For example, I have limited the internet access to my children's Xbox between 6pm and 9pm on week nights to make sure that homework gets done and that sleeping happens!

I was just wondering if there is, or is likely to be such a facility within the NetDuma's software?

Thanks. :)

• Netduma Staff

Hello.

First off, congratulations to the NetDuma team for creating such an impressive bit of kit!

It looks like the Geo-filtering is something we could really use here, but I do have a quick question regarding MAC filtering.

Within my current router's software I can enter a MAC address and then set it to only allow internet access to that address at predetermined times.

For example, I have limited the internet access to my children's Xbox between 6pm and 9pm on week nights to make sure that homework gets done and that sleeping happens!

I was just wondering if there is, or is likely to be such a facility within the NetDuma's software?

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure if you know about it, but there is a way to block devices - not on a schedule though.

You can block devices manual by going to device manager >> Edit and then clicking block next to the device you want to block access to.

I guess this isn't exactly what you want and I think times access control is a great idea, but for now, if you didn't already know about it, hopefully manually blocking them can do the trick! :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi dungbeetle,

Thank-you for the kind words.

As crossy said you can block by device(which is of course MAC) but not scheduled at the moment.

However we do plan on adding some fairly ground-breaking features in that area very soon. That would of course include the basics as well, including schedules. I would love to pick your brain sometime if you don't mind.

Coming up with ideas was easy for us as we're gamers. So it was really just a case of making what we wanted. However most of us are not parents. So in the near future if you don't mind it would be great to chat to you about this sort of stuff.

We have a very powerful network engine that this router is built on and we would in the future like to apply it to different areas as well. 

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

Although there's no MAC scheduling at the moment, we could of course still control access times for the kids by chaining the R1 in after our existing router, however the best solution would obviously be to replace the existing router altogether with the R1, to take advantage of the R1's excellent Anti-flood facility.

If you've got stuff like this in the pipeline though, that's great! We'll probably hold off purchasing a bit longer then, to see what you come up with. :)

With regard to family setups, it's surprising how having the router automatically controlling access for the kids helps to smooth things out at home. Before we did this, 'Big Bad Dad' would have to cut the connection when the kids failed to stop playing at a sensible hour leading to much huffing and puffing and general tantrums. Once the machine takes over however, everyone knows the time slots and seems to schedule their gaming around them quite well.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing about your future features and would be happy to chat more on the subject if required.

Cheers.

You do not have to hold off purchasing , the new functionality will come in firmware updates.

Its an ever growing list of great tool's as we get new fw :)

Archived