ps4 wont connect via cable

last night whilst playing cod i kept getting connection interupted , today it wont connect to psn at all using a cable it cant get an ip address but i can connect via wifi with no issues ???

tbh no as nothing gets moved or touched as im the one that sorts (or rather has to sort it out) all the tech stuff out so nothing should of been moved and going down that road is a whole mine field as i use power plug or what ever its called , i have the settings (ip addy etc) for wifi can i enter these in or are they slighlty different ?

If the Wifi is working, and there hasn't been an incident of significance (like the thing fell off the desk and got dragged across the floor by the dog), my first thought would be to try a different cable and see if that isn't an easy fix.

I assume you know for sure that it was connected through, and running on, the hardwired option?  

What is PowerPlug?  Googling led me to a site I wouldn't think the average homeowner would have purchased.

nope the dogs not been near it and its called powerline (think it used to be called power plug) it uses your electeric circuit in your house to connect devices via cable and we have had no issues there.

if i create a new connection via the ps and use the auto feature it cant find an ip address i used the settings for wifi it wont connect to the net and im not sure if i have spare cables , it just seems odd that out of the blue its done this .....

found a cable and swapped the one from the router to powerline out and tested and theres  no connection so i put the original cable back then i swapped out the one from ps4 to powerline and tested again no connection

First thought based on this:  Have you tried a reset from the MISC settings?  Not a complete factory reboot, but just a restart?  It worked before and suddenly stopped, so the old reset and clear the cache may be your friend here.

Okay, so I have the picture clear in my head, your router and your PS4 are in different locations and the powered AC line is being used as the connection point between the two?  Is that correct?

If so, I would bring the PS4 to the Router location and try it without the AC adapter.  That will clear up a ton of things (the Cat5e/Cat 6, the power line itself, the daisy chain connections and etc.)  

If it works, the problem is most likely tied to the powered AC line.

If it doesn't work??:  Hmmmm.  Might be a question for Zennon/Crossy or Fraser.  Right now I am drawing a bit of a blank outside hardware failure which seems highly unlikely given the situation.

Mike, any chance you have taken a power surge enough to click off any of your home GFI outlets or circuit breakers in the main terminal?  GFI = Ground Fault Indicator - like they have in bathrooms for when your hair blower falls in the sink.

done a reset and no connection and nothing has tripped out everything in the house has power and yes the router is 2 flights of stairs below the ps4 and taking the ps4 to the router would mean either buying a cable for the pc monitor or moving the tv aswell and having to sort out a mess of wires etc lol

I meant just to test it and see if it can get online via hardwired at the router itself.  Can you bring your laptop down there, plug in, insure you are on the hardwired connection and surf the web?

The router is working with the wifi, but the hard wired issue is a two stage problem.  

1) Is the hard wired connection at the router itself capable is getting to the outside world?  We need to test that.  

2) Is the problem that the router works, but the powered AC line is causing problems, as the transmission medium between source (router) and load (console/TV).  

We can't rule the AC line out of the problem side unless we know the hard line works as intended at the router location.

wifi works with ps4 and laptop no problems (tbh its very stable on the ps4 playing cod lol) so we can safely say it connects to the net/outside world i have just orderd a new powerline set (its only money he says having a gentle sob) to make sure they havnt died and to rule them out but they will take a few days to get here i will also get new cables to make doubly sure they arnt at fault the lights on the r1 that match the ports that are in use are flashing to say there working , i was hoping its a quick alter this setting fix kinda thing.

right i powerd up the desk top and that connects to the net just fine , so i can only assume that for now the powerline plugs have died 

Sounds like the most likely culprit based on what you have told me thus far.  I am not 100% sure, as I have not personally bench tested any of the modern units, but I have seen problems using powered line extenders and "piggy back" solutions to basic problems like in this case.

If the unit works when hard wired, I would say the connection between the two is mostly likely the suspect unless you have a bad port on the router (which I would think would be rare as it was just working and you haven't had any power surges).

Let us know how you do!

I get this about every 4 months with my power line plugs. All I do is reset them. There is a button you can hold in for a certain length of time and then re add them to network

i reset them last night but today i thought im out for an hour and no one is using the pc/ps4 so i turned them off for an hour or so came back turned them on left them another 30 mins to sort everything out and we have a wired connection again , which is annoying as i went through the turning everything off for 10 mins and swearing at things stage before comming on the forum for fresh ideas/thoughts last night ............bugger

Archived