Some Thoughts, Suggestions, Questions and Concerns. Yadda!

First things first. Big Up the Netduma Crew! (in my best MC GQ voice)

You fellas [and perhaps ladies] have come up with a super innovative product that is much needed by gamers worldwide!

Iv'e been following the Lag Comp tutorials of SimJC74 on Youtube for awhile now, he's been great, and he has now led me to the R1.

Big Up to him as well!

Ive had quite a time getting my R1 routed properly, since I share internet with a flatmate, my setup is a little odd.

I have managed to work out the kinks for the most, and it's BEEN pretty cool so far.

I'll start with my setup:

MY EQUIPMENT [WHAT IS CONNECTED TO IT]

Comcast Cable Internet(124dn-12up) w/ Comcast Modem/Router [FLATEMATE'S CONSOLE+PC / MY TP-LINK]

>TP-LINK ARCHER C7 ROUTER [R1 / PC(wired) / PHONE(wifi)]

>NETDUMA R1 [XBOX360 / XBOX ONE / PC(wifi)]

That should be everything except my ELGATO HD60

There are many things on the router that dont seem to have been explained yet, so I am going to star listing questions and hope that many things can/will be answered.

I know you guys have been right on top of it! (I know the R1 is a work in progress so Im being patient as I can lol)

1. Settings dont seem to save. When I reboot R1 w/ the button in the back, or unplug/replug, ALL settings seem to go back to 'factory'.

(internet up/dn, Select Games / Service, WIFI and so on, Yadda yadda) 

2. When you click FACTORY REBOOT or UPDATE DISTRIBUTION, yadda yadda, nothing lets you know action is being taken.

3. DEVICE MANAGER/INTERNET CONNECTION. The R1 says mbit for up/dn. Is this the same Mbps?

Does the BLUE BOX remain there? I have put the R1 into DMZ on my TP-LINK just incase.

4. GEO-FILTER. Setings do not save. When I turn off Kilometers/DormantHost/Legend, and/or get the map to the zoom i want, then go to Congestion Control or any other section,

then go back to Fitering, all of these settings go back to normal. This is quite annoying.

HOME. Does this auto center on my router?
I would love to be able to DRAG the map also. (US State borders? I heard you might be doing that, not a big deal tho)

5. DENY & ALLOW. Im starting to get it, but feel this could be way better streamlined. Whats the whole 'percentage' thing, just make it good/bad, yes/no.
eezy peazy done. Also settings do not save after a reboot!

6. MISC SETTINGS. (I'll try to snoop around the forum, but dont know what any of this means)

Enable deep packet processing.

Allow auto feedback(no personal data ever) to help improve the R1.
Allow remote access to Netduma tech support.
Enable upnp forwarding.
Enable multicast snooping.
Enable link-local IPv6.

7. DHCP LEASE. Not sure what this is, so I just followed Sim's tutorial and did what he did LOL.

8. INTERNET SPEED. When I plug my PC straight into the R1, my Speeds are reduced quite a bit. Down to 40-80Mbps dn and 4-6Mbps up,
depending on certain R1 settings. This does NOT seem to affect gameplay at all. My normal speed is 124dn/12up.

OK thats enuf fo now. Im gonna keep tweeking and wait patiently for respones!! I will have more thoughts later Im sure!

#R1FTW - PEACE

Guest Netduma_Iain

When I say Andy you say C, Andy - C, Andy - C, hear me now each and every time. I was massive DnB head back in Uni. All about DJ Friction(well back in the day anyway). I digress though...

You've asked quite a lot of questions. A lot of them seemed to be based on settings being saved. There are two parts to this:

1. The router only saves settings every hour so if you reboot within an hour those settings will be lost. If you want settings to be saved when rebooting using the reboot button on "Settings > Misc"
  2. Settings that are purely aethestic and don't change the way the router functions are not saved. For example toggling the legend or km/miles. In the next update we use cookies so you can save them.

I'm pretty sure all your answers can be explained on the wiki "FAQ" and "Using the Netduma R1" sections, if you don't mind reading there otherwise I would be literally copying and pasting back here: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php

• Netduma Staff

I will answer your questions to the best of my ability in the order you asked them :)

1. The settings on the router are saved every hour. If you unplug, any settings made in the last hour will be lost.
  2. Yep, I agree with you here. I kind of made a similar thread here that outlines this problem more generally. :)
  3. Blue box does remain there. I don't think they are the same. I was looking at this thread on another forum and it seems to explain it well
  4. Basically all the things you mentioned here are on the new version (I hope I'm allowed to say that and it wasn't a secret :) )
  5. I agree. I don't really like the way it is because if hosts are on top of each other, it is very difficult to change it and find the host you want to change
  6. Enable deep packet processing means that the packets are analysed for if you are using the PC host analysis to see jitter, packet loss etc. Auto feedback sends data to Netduma e.g. what pages people use most etc. Allow remote access to Neduma remote support - means Iain can access your router and change stuff if you need help. Enable upnp forwarding. I think this means that you can enable UPnP on your other router and it will work on the R1 as well without the need for DMZ but I am not 100% sure. Last two I'm not too sure :)
  7. This is how IPs are assigned by the Netduma to different devices around the house and how long the lease is renewed.
  8. To get the speeds up to normal, untick deep packet processing and on the congestion control page, change the algorithm to reactive. Maximum speeds on the R1 at the moment though are 120mpbs down. This will be increased in a future update :)

Thanks Ian & Crossy! You're a star! (dj Hatcha always says that to me, yes, I name drop lol)

I saw that there is a new patch on the way.
You guys are super helpful, always on it, and I know you guys must be busting your butts on the R1, for this I commend you!!

btw, I was a Dubstep dj/promoter in Seattle for 7 years, so in the future when I make all the namedrop comments, they're all tru!

Skream/Benga/Hatcha and more all slept on my couch before they got large!

Peace fellas!

I agree with the no notification on button click, and I think it is a biggie!

Netduma should add the Notify.js library to the duma's internal webserver so that on click they can notify you that the click was picked up and then success or failure of the ajax call these buttons cause.

Here is my biggest problem really. And it's not the R1's fault!

But maybe suggest settings. 
Also, I dont mind at all if a mod wants remote host and tweek my settings!

[This screenshot was taken 4pm Seattle time | XBOX360 - MW3]

1425856828-U1087.png

• Netduma Staff

Here is my biggest problem really. And it's not the R1's fault!

But maybe suggest settings. 

Also, I dont mind at all if a mod wants remote host and tweek my settings!

[This screenshot was taken 4pm Seattle time | XBOX360 - MW3]

1425856828-U1087.png

This is probably because strict mode was unticked. Having strict mode unticked means that connections from outside of your GeoFilter can connect. If you enable strict mode, you should find that you are not connecting to hosts outside of the GeoFilter. :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Down,

Could you take a screenshot of the top of the geo-filter. Remember you need to have the PA services enabled. Based on your screenshot I can check if thats the case.

Archived