Wifi disconnection / router disappears problem

Hi, Sorry... I've checked the forums and don't see a solution.

I'm running R1 debug version 1.03.6g running on rb-951g-2hnd .

My modem: Actiontec GT-784WNV

Speeds: Pretty consistently 6.5mbps down, 0.71mbps up

My problem: I'm trying to play on xbox live and hog the limited bandwidth on my home network. The first couple days after I received the netduma router it worked well. (in fact, i was able to get green or yellow bars in destiny even with someone watching netflix on a roku... so it worked quite well.) After about a week my netduma router started disconnecting - by which I mean: I would lose wifi internet access, the router would not be visible to any device (mac, iphone, xbox, pc, etc.) I would then unplug the router and plug it back in, regain internet access, reconnect the xbox, and it would drop out again within 20-30 minutes. Out of frustration I have started connecting the xbox to the Actiontec modem/router which does not (seem to) work as well for getting decent ping, but stays connected so i can play; I can finish my game before going off to power cycle the router to appease the pissed off people trying to watch netflix or surf the internet. Ideas?

Primary device problem: xbox one on wifi

Other devices: 9 others, (3 laptops, 3 phones, roku, printer, mystery device)

Other hardware (possible interference?): Astro a50, elite wireless controller, 3 directv boxes

Settings: 

Host filtering: xbox is enabled. Geo filter: 1480mi.

Congestion control: Preemptive. 80% on both caps (70% was giving me very slow speeds.) Devise prioritisation: xbox is set at 40, all others at 7 (both)

Profiles: have tried both destiny and general gaming.

All other settings are stock - I haven't messed with anything.

Other notes:

It is not possible to connect the xbox to the router via ethernet cable

The router IS in a well ventilated area, it is connected to a surge protector, and it does not seem hot to the touch.

Hey Fraser,

Thank you. And, thank you Crossyy as well. I'm still having problems with it.

I was waiting for it to "disappear" again so that I could try what Crossyy suggested, and it hasn't happened. (I mean: it hasn't done exactly what I initially described.)

However, I am still periodically losing internet access through the netduma. I can see the router with my xbox and laptop, and i can connect to it, but i can't load a webpage or play a game or anything. I know that my internet is working because I can connect to my modem/router wirelessly and i get internet access.

Any thoughts on the netduma periodically shutting itself down? It happens enough that I can't play for more than 30 minutes or so.

Hey welcome to the forum, I see you liked Crossy's post, does this mean his suggestions resolved your issue?

• Administrators

Hi beef,

Unfortunately Fraser is unwell at the moment so I'm covering for him. Next time it goes down can you please try connecting to the router via ethernet cable? Are you able to access the routers control panel then and the Internet?

Also while we're at it make sure the LAN IP of the Netduma which defaults to 192.168.88.x is different to the LAN IP of the other router. 

Copy that. Thanks Iain. I will check that as soon as I'm home and it happens... I'm told it went down several times today by my roommates, but I wasn't there.

the LAN ip is definitely different that the other router.

Hi beef,

Unfortunately Fraser is unwell at the moment so I'm covering for him. Next time it goes down can you please try connecting to the router via ethernet cable? Are you able to access the routers control panel then and the Internet?

Also while we're at it make sure the LAN IP of the Netduma which defaults to 192.168.88.x is different to the LAN IP of the other router. 

Archived