Why should I set my 'home' location in the middle of the sea?

Hello all, I live in Birmingham (a city not too far from London in England) and a few online guides keep mentioning to set my location in the sea.

I'm sure there's a logical reason for this, in lay-man terms can you please tell me what the reason is? One would assume setting my location in the middle of England would be better?

Also, me setting my location in the sea, would that affect me playing with friends who all live in the same city as me? (around 10 - 20 miles away from my actual house)? I have them all on my allow list by the way.

Well, this only works if you set-up the Netduma a certain way (Ping Assist).

You've got them in your allow list so that's all good to go.  I only play COD so will say you must be host for this to work properly.  Setting your location to the Ocean, set Ping Assist accordingly, possibly 30.  You will not connect to any server/(player host) unless if they meet the 30 ping requirement.  

Just to clarify, you should be host of the party for best results, not host of a match.  And the ping assist number really depends on your base ping.  Do a speedtest (dslreports.com, speedtest.net,etc.).  Whatever ping you get consistently, you should probably add about 20ms or so to that number (e.g. 25 ping + 20 = 45 ping assist value).  If you have trouble finding games, raise it a little. 

The reason it works (in lay mans terms) is because when you set the geo filter circle range in the middle of an area, it will connect you to hosts within that circle, even if the pings are terrible.  Surprising to some, not all local hosts are good hosts.  So setting it to the ocean means no local hosts are available. Instead, it uses the ping assist filter to only connect to hosts under the latency range that you specify.  Any host under 50ms or so is generally a good connection.  Of course other players connecting to that host may be laggy, but at least you know that YOUR ping to the host isnt the problem.

Archived